Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS world's most punctual airline

Old Sep 5, 11, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus

Now SK is the world's most punctual airline (in Swedish):

http://www.dn.se/ekonomi/sas-varldens-punktligaste

The cynic in me wonders if it helps to have most of the flights leaving from Nordic airports where the traffic is not so heavy...
Old Sep 6, 11, 1:05 am

Programs: A3*G, BA silver, HH Gold
takeoff?

I would worry more about arrival time than departure..
Old Sep 6, 11, 1:22 am

Programs: Eurobonus
Originally Posted by Yarrick View Post
I would worry more about arrival time than departure..

Don't they measure punctuality based on actual arrival time ?
Old Sep 6, 11, 4:06 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by Wilbur12 View Post
Yes.

Close to 94 % of SK-flights arrived on time compared to 81,2 % for the European average. Quite impressive, even the SK hubs are not so heavy on traffic.
Old Sep 6, 11, 7:04 am
wj_

Programs: *A (SAS EBG), HH Silver
All the long-haul flights I've been on the last year have been on-time or arriving ahead of schedule. A few months back they continuously mentioned the fact that they were the most punctual airline, so naturally they landed ahead of schedule.. That got old fairly quickly, but I guess the crew just wanted to brag a bit.. I haven't heard it in a while though.

/wj
Old Sep 6, 11, 1:35 pm

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha View Post
Yes.

Close to 94 % of SK-flights arrived on time compared to 81,2 % for the European average. Quite impressive, even the SK hubs are not so heavy on traffic.
It is actually really impressive and one of the main reasons that I always fly SK on domestic flights in Norway.

I guess it will be bit harder to sustain this during the winter and the pathetic expansion of OSL...
Old Sep 7, 11, 1:34 am

Programs: A3*G, BA silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Wilbur12 View Post
I guess they do. Then its just the article that is wrong.
Old Sep 13, 11, 10:52 am

Flew KKN-OSL a few months ago and the flight was over an hour late, almost causing me to miss my OSL-LHR connection.

The OSL-LHR flight was punctual but I ended up queuing for an hour to clear UK immigration because SK was too cheap to offer priority clearance for its business class passengers.

Quite unimpressed.
Old Sep 13, 11, 11:17 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Every airline is late from time to time. SAS less so than others.
Old Sep 13, 11, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by Clipper801 View Post
Flew KKN-OSL a few months ago and the flight was over an hour late, almost causing me to miss my OSL-LHR connection.

The OSL-LHR flight was punctual but I ended up queuing for an hour to clear UK immigration because SK was too cheap to offer priority clearance for its business class passengers.

Quite unimpressed.
I have yet to experience an airline offering priority clearing of business class passengers on European flights. BA did not the last couple of times I arrived in LHR, only Club World of First arrivals. But maybe BA updated their offering??
Old Sep 20, 11, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), SAS EBG
Originally Posted by wj_ View Post
All the long-haul flights I've been on the last year have been on-time or arriving ahead of schedule. A few months back they continuously mentioned the fact that they were the most punctual airline, so naturally they landed ahead of schedule.. That got old fairly quickly, but I guess the crew just wanted to brag a bit.. I haven't heard it in a while though.

/wj
Had to SK flights this weekend and on both they bragged about being the most punctual airline. IN both cases they mentioned that we landed ahead of the timetable.

However, what annoys me is that they are actually not telling the thruth.

In FRA we we touched down 10 minutes prior to the scheduled arrival time (11:15 rather than 11:25). After taxiing to a remote stand at the other end of the world, however, the time was 11:29...

The timetables (as everyone working for an airline should know) is based on block times which has very little to do with taking off from the runway or landing at the runway but rather when the wheel blocks are removed and attached. The time table allows for taxiing, deicing, common ATC holds etc.

So rather than sprewading misinformation I think SAS should tone down this and get the facts right.
Old Sep 21, 11, 3:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The most punctual airline in Europe in August is... drumroll... Tarom! SAS came second:

http://www.flightstats-inc.com/company/ops-reports

The list of 2010 winners are a eyeopener:
http://opsawards.flightstats.com/winners-airlines.html

Ignoring the algorithm to calculate all this CEO eye candy for while, I would assume hitting anything 90+% is plain luck or very bad equipment planning.
Old Sep 21, 11, 11:14 am

Programs: SK *G
I hope this means they will stop the "Most puctual airline" routine during announcements. I would be even happier to not hear the phrase "opportunity to buy food and beverages" ...but will not hold my breath just yet.
Old Sep 26, 11, 2:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
+1
In Business, we will be serving a warm meal with cold and warm drinks and warm rolls. In economy extra, we will be serving a cold meal with cold and warm drinks and warm rolls. In economy, you have the opportunity to buy blah blah blah blah.....
Honestly, I hate that! It just divides the cabin further more.
SB
Old Oct 3, 11, 12:36 pm

just too bad when they're on time or also ahead but ground services in the major SAS hubs takes on average 20-30min until first baggage is on the belt, even for domestic flights

Search this Thread
Search Engine: