DL to LHR then SAS to ARN

Old May 14, 2011, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
DL to LHR then SAS to ARN

Later this week I start with DL OKC-ATL-LHR. The DL flight arrives at terminal 4 on 12 noon while SAS #532 departs LHR from terminal 3 at 1:50 pm.

I know this is tight so I plan to print my BP in ATL and hope to move swiftly through the obstacles at LHR to catch the flight.

Tips would be appreciated as would any word about the best way to get from ARN to the Hotel Uppsala. I've only been to Sweden once and stayed in Stockholm the entire time.
Old May 14, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
Xeno, please take a look at

http://www.arlanda.se/en/Information...m-the-airport/
Old May 15, 2011, 5:03 am

To get to Uppsala:

You should not take the Arlanda Express to Stockholm, and then take the train to Uppsala. You should instead go to the other train station, The Arlanda C train station that is directly below the centre of SkyCity.

Travel to Stockholm Arlanda on SL and UL - take the “Upptĺget” commuter train

There is commuter train service between Upplands Väsby and Uppsala via Stockholm Arlanda, with an onward connection to Tierp and Gävle, known as “Upptĺget”. Upptĺget serves the airport every 30 minutes. The trip north to Uppsala takes 20 minutes. The trip south to Upplands-Väsby, where there is a connection to the Stockholm Transport (SL) commuter trains, takes eight minutes.
This is what you do:

These trains depart from Arlanda Central Station (Arlanda C). Tickets for the Upptĺget commuter train can be purchased at Arlanda C, the Arlanda Visitor Center and at the airport’s other information counters.
You can also take busses to Upsala, at least two companies serve:

Airport Coaches, Stockholm and Uppsala

Flygbussarna airport coaches between Stockholm city centre and Stockholm Arlanda, airport coaches between Uppsala and Stockholm Arlanda and Swebus buses serve all terminal. Tickets can be purchased at the Arlanda Visitor Center in Terminal 5 or at information desks in Terminals 2 and 4.
Airport Coaches - Uppsala

The public transport company Upplands Lokaltrafik (UL) also offers airport coach service between Uppsala and Stockholm Arlanda on route number 801. During peak traffic, the buses depart every 20 minutes. You buy your ticket by credit card, before the journey, in ticket machines in Terminal 2, 4 and 5.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for these helpful responses.

Anyone have advice about making my connection at LHR?
Old May 15, 2011, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Well, can someone tell me how early I need to check in when I go from ARN to SVO? I do not have any status with SAS and the ticket is economy. Departure is around noon on Saturday.
Old May 16, 2011, 7:59 pm

You should be fine with that connection at LHR. I made a similar connection a few weeks ago with no problem. The key is to walk quickly from the plane to immigration and try to beat the rush from your flight.
Old May 16, 2011, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gottigotti
You should be fine with that connection at LHR. I made a similar connection a few weeks ago with no problem. The key is to walk quickly from the plane to immigration and try to beat the rush from your flight.
Thank you for this encouragement. I will be flying BE and have elite status with DL so am hoping to go a little fast through one of the lines at LHR although I hear sometimes the elite line is the slowest.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:12 am
Original Poster

I tried several times to do the 22 hour pre-departure BP through the SAS web and I keep getting communication errors. I now have checked in on my iPhone using the link from the text message.

So does anyone know how using a saved e-BP will work getting into LHR on DL and working my way to SAS for the flight to ARN?

I'm also curious that this flight was changed from a 737-600 to 737-700. I cannot find that aircraft on SeatGuru so does anyone know if 11D (exit aisle) is okay?

UPDATE: I finally have a printed SAS BP but am still curious about seat selection on the 737-800.

Last edited by Xeno; May 18, 2011 at 11:37 am Reason: update
Old May 18, 2011, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
The exit row aisle seat on the -700 is good. The -600 only has good exit seats at the window with missing seat in front.

They are relatively new aircraft replacing the MD-80s, unfortunately.

I think noon should be a good time for a connection at LHR. Interesting to see how it works these days since they keep revamping their flight connection center. I usually exited in going between 1 to 3, but 4 is way on the other side of the airport so definitely use the flight connection bus airside.

Also, definitely do not take the train to Sthlm. Take the bus to Uppsala. The airport is about halfway to Uppsala.

For ARN-SVO, I would start checking in online to grab a good seat but if you don't have printer access then don't complete the check-in online because SAS's stupid machines won't let you print out a BP if you checked in online. Noon is a quiet time so no need to get there more than an hour before.

Last edited by gnaget; May 18, 2011 at 11:23 pm
Old May 19, 2011, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnaget
The exit row aisle seat on the -700 is good. The -600 only has good exit seats at the window with missing seat in front.

They are relatively new aircraft replacing the MD-80s, unfortunately.

I think noon should be a good time for a connection at LHR. Interesting to see how it works these days since they keep revamping their flight connection center. I usually exited in going between 1 to 3, but 4 is way on the other side of the airport so definitely use the flight connection bus airside.

Also, definitely do not take the train to Sthlm. Take the bus to Uppsala. The airport is about halfway to Uppsala.

For ARN-SVO, I would start checking in online to grab a good seat but if you don't have printer access then don't complete the check-in online because SAS's stupid machines won't let you print out a BP if you checked in online. Noon is a quiet time so no need to get there more than an hour before.
Good advice and things went well until I arrived at ARN but my luggage did not make it. DL left my suitcase with dress clothes in ATL. Now I thinking the luggage will be headed to Uppsala about the time I am going back to ARN to make it to SVO where I must have my suitcase.

Thanks for the warning about the online check-in so can I get a seat online then print BP at the airport?
Old May 20, 2011, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Xeno
Good advice and things went well until I arrived at ARN but my luggage did not make it. DL left my suitcase with dress clothes in ATL. Now I thinking the luggage will be headed to Uppsala about the time I am going back to ARN to make it to SVO where I must have my suitcase.

Thanks for the warning about the online check-in so can I get a seat online then print BP at the airport?
Yes, as soon as the check-in window opens then you can go in and select a seat. But don't complete the reservation. It's a pretty stupid system. I remember once checking in online up in the room at the CPH Hilton and then thought that I could print out the BP in the lobby later when I headed out. I wound up having to go across the street to go to the *Gold check-in.
Old May 20, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: EBG
I have never had any issues with checking in online and printing a boarding pass from the machines at the airport. I do it all the time in HEL where they require a BP at security. At ARN the Eurobonus card is all that is needed.
Old May 20, 2011, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Holloman
I have never had any issues with checking in online and printing a boarding pass from the machines at the airport. I do it all the time in HEL where they require a BP at security. At ARN the Eurobonus card is all that is needed.
I was tempted to see if an E-BP would work but it turns out I have not seen my luggage for over 48 hours and will pick it up as I check-in for SVO and would rather not chance facing a complication that could prove problematic.
Old May 21, 2011, 2:47 am
Original Poster

I just wanted to report all of this has gone well for me as I even didn't have to pay for heavy luggage this morning. I am currently in the SAS/PP lounge and will be boarding soon (ARN-SVO).

Thanks again for the sound advice.
Old May 22, 2011, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Holloman
Really? Maybe they fixed it because it's really stupid. Last time I ran into this was fall of 2009. It's definitely happened at both CPH and ARN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.