Planely

Old Dec 7, 10, 9:13 am
  #1  
ehn
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: SK*G, UA*G, BAEC Silver, FB Gold
Posts: 23
Thumbs up Planely

Planely is an online service from a Danish startup that lets you find other people on the same flight or airport as you and connect with them. Perhaps some people here will find it useful. (It has to be said though, that the service doesn't have a lot of users yet. I have entered 16 upcoming flights into the system, and have found only one match, at ORD on December 14.)

Entering all the flights manually is painful, but from what I hear, TripIt connectivity is planned.
ehn is offline  
Old Dec 7, 10, 9:19 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,977
I prefer to travel inkognito
Hannibal Lecter is offline  
Old Dec 7, 10, 9:41 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CPH
Programs: SK EBG |CSA OK+ Gold | SPG Gold | CO, BD, QR, AF lowlife
Posts: 607
Yea, I think I'll skip this time also. If it was FT'ers only then sure, but I am already getting a random seat mate so I don't really need a tool help me hook up to another random seat mate before the flight.
And also, this would mean that one of the people have to get the middle seat if it's in Y and who wants to volunteer for that

The idea is good though, if you are the kind of fellah that likee to talk all the time in-flight - should promote this in the US
SirRagnar is offline  
Old Dec 7, 10, 10:08 am
  #4  
jth
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ARN/STO
Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
Posts: 586
I believe one can do this at the flightmemory page, too?

However, it's a fun idea for those who doesn't mind sharing personal info, and could maybe be used as a dating site for "up in the air"-kinda people
jth is offline  
Old Dec 7, 10, 4:13 pm
  #5  
ehn
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: SK*G, UA*G, BAEC Silver, FB Gold
Posts: 23
Would perhaps be more useful if integrated with seat selection anyone of my Facebook/LinkedIn connections traveling on this flight and, if so, where are they seated? (Opt-in, of course.)
ehn is offline  
Old Dec 7, 10, 4:49 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,977
Originally Posted by SirRagnar View Post
Yea, I think I'll skip this time also. If it was FT'ers only then sure, but I am already getting a random seat mate so I don't really need a tool help me hook up to another random seat mate before the flight.
And also, this would mean that one of the people have to get the middle seat if it's in Y and who wants to volunteer for that

The idea is good though, if you are the kind of fellah that likee to talk all the time in-flight - should promote this in the US

not only there, 50% of all the post in the BA forum is OT nonsense
Hannibal Lecter is offline  
Old Dec 8, 10, 11:20 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sweden
Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Posts: 986
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
not only there, 50% of all the post in the BA forum is OT nonsense
But often very funny 'brit-style' nonsense
tourist is offline  
Old Dec 18, 10, 12:49 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by SirRagnar View Post
Yea, I think I'll skip this time also. If it was FT'ers only then sure, but I am already getting a random seat mate so I don't really need a tool help me hook up to another random seat mate before the flight.
And also, this would mean that one of the people have to get the middle seat if it's in Y and who wants to volunteer for that

The idea is good though, if you are the kind of fellah that likee to talk all the time in-flight - should promote this in the US
How about if you could easily spot other FT'ers? We could give you a 'badge' that you could attach to your profile that would show up in your match results, for example?

Just a thought ...
elneek is offline  
Old Dec 18, 10, 7:45 pm
  #9  
ehn
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: SK*G, UA*G, BAEC Silver, FB Gold
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by elneek View Post
How about if you could easily spot other FT'ers? We could give you a 'badge' that you could attach to your profile that would show up in your match results, for example?
That'd be great. By the way, the service eventually did show me two matches, one at ORD and one at VIE, but I didn't hit either of them up, since I had quite a lot of work to do. I would definitely have tried to get in touch with them if I had had a few hours to kill, though. At this stage you're bound to be able to talk about early-adopter Internet stuff if nothing else.
ehn is offline  
Old Dec 19, 10, 3:32 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CPH
Programs: SK EBG |CSA OK+ Gold | SPG Gold | CO, BD, QR, AF lowlife
Posts: 607
Welcome to FT, elneek!

Originally Posted by elneek View Post
How about if you could easily spot other FT'ers? We could give you a 'badge' that you could attach to your profile that would show up in your match results, for example?

Just a thought ...
It would definitely make it more interesting.
SirRagnar is offline  
Old Dec 22, 10, 9:05 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MAN, ARN
Programs: BA Gold, BD *S, VS Gold, AFKL Petro Club
Posts: 584
There's always BA97 http://www.ba97.com/ba97/calendar/ - which has a shedload of FTers.
Echo J is offline  
Old Dec 25, 10, 6:39 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oslo & Marbella
Programs: SK*G
Posts: 864
This is where TripIt fall short, the whole "social" aspect about flying. We are a bunch of people that uses TripIt at work, but there isn't really an easy way of sharing our itinerary and having one huge overview over where your connections going and when. We often travel together, and it would be neat if there is a service that can nail the whole social traveling concept (especially since Nokia screw over Dopprl and their service).
Robbiedeluxe is offline  
Old Jan 6, 11, 1:38 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by SirRagnar View Post
Welcome to FT, elneek!

It would definitely make it more interesting.
Thanks for the welcome and sorry I haven't replied earlier. I need to change my settings I think as I didn't get an email.

Glad you like the idea of badges. I've had positive feedback from other FTers too. Love your community! So much excellent stuff on here.

If anyone has any thoughts on what we should be doing then please do drop me a line through FT or otherwise via [email protected].
elneek is offline  
Old Jan 8, 11, 8:30 am
  #14  
ehn
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: SK*G, UA*G, BAEC Silver, FB Gold
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by Robbiedeluxe View Post
This is where TripIt fall short, the whole "social" aspect about flying. We are a bunch of people that uses TripIt at work, but there isn't really an easy way of sharing our itinerary and having one huge overview over where your connections going and when. We often travel together, and it would be neat if there is a service that can nail the whole social traveling concept (especially since Nokia screw over Dopprl and their service).
I agree that TripIt really hasn't executed well on the social side of its service, but have you checked out TripIt Groups? While not particularly helpful for more loosely connected groups, it sounds like it's tailored for your needs.
ehn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: