Wiki Posts
Search

How would you improve EB?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2010, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
How would you improve EB?

I get asked occasionally by a friend how I would improve EB. What could SAS do to make EB-members more loyal? What would get EB members to spend more points?

Instead of me giving only my view, I hope this could be a high-quality thread with concrete suggestions and also remembering the benefits not only for us, the passengers, but also the benefits for SAS.

I'll give this a shot:

1. Why couldn't SAS offer complete packages for EB points, and not only flights? For instance, why not have for instance a point bargain "2 persons to London in Y+, 2 nights in a Radisson Edwardian, and tickets to a musical for 50k total" or something like that. I would find such deals interesting. Benefits for SAS would be that this could lead to more spending of EB points, taking them off the balance sheet.

2. Either connected to the above idea or not, I would really appreciate "elite bargains" i.e. point bargains only for EBP/EBG/EBS. It could even be taken further, so that the bargain would be a 75% discount for EBP, 50% discount for EBG and 25% discount for EBS, or something like that. This would increase the value of the status levels, and encourage members to reach higher levels of status, i.e. travel more on SK.

3. Recognition/benefits of at least EBG (I guess improvements could be done for EBP as well?) on board has to be improved. It wouldn't be very difficult for the purser to welcome EBGs on board for instance before take-off or during drink service or when going through the cabin with the BOB cart. If there are extremely many EBGs on board (I imagine CPH-ARN/OSL routes can be packed with EBG) at least an announcement where EBGs are especially welcome would be a nice gesture. Why not even say how many EBGs are on board. It's a small thing that doesn't cost anything, but would give at least me a little special feeling.

I have many more ideas as well, but I don't want to make this post too long.

Let the ideas flow!

Niksal
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Silver, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for starting this thread - as a former EB member who left in anger I have some ideas too.

1. Full mileage credit regardless of fare for elite members - The idea that you get to only earn 25% on the cheap fares seems outrageous, especially if you have EBG status.

2. Upgrades on European flights for EBG/EBS members, free of charge as long as there are seats available, of course EBG would take priority.

3. Add an elite level above EBG, which would require 120K points, which would be *A gold too but earn upgrades on intercontinental flights, for example 4 vouchers for getting to 120K. Similar to LH, UA, DL, AA etc. It could be called EB Platinum (this would only be done to confuse us on FT, so we could not figure out if a thread is about the Pandion or Platinum status)

4. Improve customer service for elites - have dedicated resources available 24/7 who can and is instructed to help the members.

5. Point should never expire if you continue flying - 1 flight minimum pr year.

I think that is all I can come up with right now, these changes would make me consider switching back to SK EB.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I think EB is pretty good. I hope they won't make it worse!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
Give alle economy tickets except O and T class (these kan remain 25% due to tehir low price) 100% earning!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
1. EB should disclose how many points will be credited when flying with other *A partners, not just a minimum;
2. Improve customer service for everyone (I hate contacting them), possibly provide chat function with EB CS;
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue, SAS Eurobonus + many moore
1.Get rid of the 25% earnings. (Make them at least 50% - 75%.)
2. Upgrade vouchers for EBG.
3. Fast track, no matter airline/booking class, for EBG.
4. Better recognition on board. There´s no recognition whatsoever (if you´r not EBP).

Otherwise I find EB to be quite good and generous compared to Lying Blue e.g.

Last edited by sodaboy; Nov 27, 2010 at 9:51 am
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
I wouldn't mind seeing EBS to have some benefits, like on other airlines&alliances.

E.g. something from:
- Lounge access when flying Economy Extra (or x number of vouchers when reaching/renewing status)
- Luggage tags
- Fast track when flying SK/KF

and for the whole *A I'd love to see priority check-in for *A Silver, as that status is really completely useless today, unlike other alliances.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: Eurobonus Pandion, Flying Blue, Thon, Sixt Car Rental, Hilton Honors, A-Club
The most luxury I can have when flying, is the middle seat free! Many years ago, Spanair was able to block the middle seat next to me when I flew economy, having an EBG. My first wish would be that SAS could offer than, as long as not all economy seats are sold out of course.
The next could be, as KLM does, to give a special greeting to EBG/EBP guests when welcoming onboard, just because we pay most of SAS´CC´s wages too.
Upgrading is another thing.

I think the lounge access is very good around Europe, and also the check in and most often the fast tracks in security.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
Introduce one more official level higher than Gold, something like 150-200k treshhold, with some real benefits. Current EBP is unpublished level with no clear qualification requirements and not too many benefets at all.

Next-seat blocking for EBG/EBG+ in Y and M.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Thanks to all the comments so far! This is a good start!

What I would like to have more of is the "what's in it for SAS?" part. If EBG would have the next seat blocked, would you be prepared to pay more for the ticket? Would you choose SK over something else?

The same goes for the higher level. I am definitely not against it, although I probably wouldn't reach such a level myself as I fly 90% only intra-Nordic. Is it common for EBGs to start flying something else after requalification? Would such a level bring more business to SK?
Old Nov 27, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: SK EBG |CSA OK+ Gold | SPG Gold | CO, BD, QR, AF lowlife
Originally Posted by niksal
What I would like to have more of is the "what's in it for SAS?" part. If EBG would have the next seat blocked, would you be prepared to pay more for the ticket? Would you choose SK over something else?
That's the beauty of this suggestion, it would not cost SAS anything noteworthy extra. It is only if the flight is not full the middle seat should be blocked.

Is it common for EBGs to start flying something else after requalification? Would such a level bring more business to SK?
I can only speak for myself and I did move much of my business to CO after I re-qualified after 3 months last year, so it would have been incentive for me if there was something after Gold. It does not have to be a new tier, it could be System Wide Upgrades (SWU) or something else.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:23 pm

Programs: EBS
Just her rid of the stupied 25% rule
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:57 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Agree, get rid of stupid 25 % rule, sometimes a 400 EUR flight brings only 25 %. I can sort of accept it for a 150 EUR return one.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:58 am

+ free BOB for golds. Middle seat free if available.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:59 am

++ companion award like LH and more of the half "price" offers.

Their tax on awards is great though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.