Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

OT: Retro in-flight telephony onboard SAS...

Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G & Centurion

Ah, the memories! I just spotted this on my daily commute to ARN on a 736 from my bulkhead seat. It even has the old AT&T logo... <3

Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:48 am

Was there ever anyone who used one of those?
You swiped your credit card directly in the handset, right?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by SK_RSJ
I made a ten minute call once from SK903 to a guy who was getting married!
Old Oct 22, 2010, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G & Centurion
Over the past few years, I've made three phone calls to three different girlfriends...
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Robbiedeluxe
Over the past few years, I've made three phone calls to three different girlfriends...
At the same time?
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
Originally Posted by SK_RSJ
I'm using it when I have to fly longhaul at the middle of something hot in my business. Just diverting my mobile to secretary and she collects messages from people, and I'm calling her every hour or so to check what's going on and then can also call some people who were looking for me. Not happens too often those days, but I remember the times when some HKG-LHR and SIN-LHR flights were enging up in $2000+ phone bills per flight
I've tried on my last SK A330 flight but something was wrong with the system.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 5:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I've used the phones on A340/330 a few times, wasn't too expensive (16-20$?) and well worth it.

Still don't know if it makes sense on short haul. Even on long haul it can't be making money if you think the cost of installing and having all that equipment on board.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 6:21 am

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
I don't know what SK is charging, but other longhaul carriers used to charge anything between 6 to 15 dollars for the first minute, and 5-8 dollars per minute afterwards.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:58 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I've used in on the long haul flights a few times, but never on the smaller aircrafts. Like Oliver said, it wasn't that expensive.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Didn't they have it in *every* arm-rest for a while -- those nice pop-out phones? It must have costed a fortune to install with hardly anybody using it, and costing another half-fortune to remove it...
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:44 am

Correct! And don't forget the ground segment. I believe in Sweden two companies got the right to build the infra structure. One of them being Cable & Wireless. I can't remember who did pull out before they even launched the service.

Originally Posted by larsll
Didn't they have it in *every* arm-rest for a while -- those nice pop-out phones? It must have costed a fortune to install with hardly anybody using it, and costing another half-fortune to remove it...
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: EB*G
I probably paid for most of this investment through my numerous calls between CPH and PEK, drunk

Seemed like a good idea to call friends and family.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.