Wiki Posts
Search

OSL-NYC and CHP-PVG relaunched

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
OSL-NYC and CHP-PVG relaunched

CPH-PVG from winter 2011 and OSL-EWR from March 2011 (MOD: please edit headline to CPH, not CHP)

http://se.yhp.waymaker.net/sasgroup/....asp?id=204356

Scandinavian Airlines set on expansion, adds number of long-haul and European routes

SAS will expand its route network with two new long-haul routes. Oslo-New York will commence end-March 2011, whilst Copenhagen-Shanghai will start during winter 2011. In addition, SAS will also launch a number of new European routes, as well as significantly increase frequency across its key short haul routes by 150 new weekly departures.

"Due to significantly reduced costs, a world-class product and improved market conditions, there are now greater prerequisites for a profitable expansion for SAS. We will improve our customer offering with both new routes and extensively adding new frequencies on existing routes," says Robin Kamark, Chief Commercial Officer, SAS.

"We are adding one Airbus A340 this winter as previously announced and another A340 next winter, which will bring our long-haul fleet to eleven. We are also adding back in traffic three short haul aircraft, previously leased out, during spring 2011," says Kamark.

The Oslo-New York route will be launched March 27 next year and serviced daily with an Airbus A330-300, offering 34 Business class seats, 35 Economy Extra and 195 Economy seats, whilst Copenhagen-Shanghai will start as five times weekly as of next winter, using an Airbus A340-300, which offers 46 Business class seats 28 Economy Extra and 171 Economy seats.

The additional European frequencies will be continuously introduced during spring 2011. Compared to same period last year, SAS will offer150 more departures a week on key routes.

In addition four new routes will open: Oslo-Munich, Oslo-Palma, Oslo-Split and Stockholm-Venice.

"With record-high load factor, the world's best punctuality record and the only airline in the world with the environmental certificates ISO14001 and EMAS, SAS is really ahead of the game right now, which is noticeable amongst our customers as we are also scoring the highest customer satisfaction right now," says Kamark.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:39 am

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, Hyatt GoldPassport, HHonors, SPG, Diners Club
Yipee. Great news. Flew PVG-CPH back in 2005. Great with new IC routes from Scandinavia, and PVG makes perfectly sense from a business point of view. Would be great to see the planned CPH-SFO route introduced and the old SEA and DEL routes back. SIN, JBN and MIA would be nice to see as well.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:40 am

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
Great news. CPH-PVG did I see coming, but I admit I never expected OSL-EWR to be restarted by SAS.

Anyway, great news, and if it start I will definately use it when going to NYC this summer
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:47 am
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
I'll be da**ed! And I just rejected the possibility of a longhaul connection from OSL in another thread. Glad to see that SAS is moving forward!

A new direct Venice route from stockholm will for sure compete well with Ryanair!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
God knows what they will cut in exchange on the IC. Since one A330 is going to OSL, I assume something out of CPH/ARN to NYC/CHI will get cut.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
God knows what they will cut in exchange on the IC. Since one A330 is going to OSL, I assume something out of CPH/ARN to NYC/CHI will get cut.
CPH-BKK will be reduced in the summer schedule, and CPH-DXB is winter only.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:41 am

I have just argued that OSL IC routes with SK would not happen any time soon. Well, so much for my fortune telling abilities. I would still argue it is more of defensive move to defend their home market. Which is also fair.

PVG is good to see coming back. I never understood why it was cut anyway.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:55 am

They will have 1 more A-340 in the fleet in the summer 2011, compared to 2010. Så one of the currect A-330 flights will become a A-340 flights and the A-330 capacity will be transfered to OSL-EWR
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
I have just argued that OSL IC routes with SK would not happen any time soon. Well, so much for my fortune telling abilities. I would still argue it is more of defensive move to defend their home market. Which is also fair.
Originally Posted by jth
I'll be da**ed! And I just rejected the possibility of a longhaul connection from OSL in another thread. Glad to see that SAS is moving forward!
Personally, I do not think you are wrong. I fail to add up the numbers.

When SAS left the market last, it withdrew the last transatlantic service from Oslo. Then Continental re-entered (and now doubling capacity), then US Airways and now possibly AA as well. I fail to see how SAS with its fixed cost structure can operate this route profitably. Welcome back SAS - your government legacy is still shining proud when you are doing "prestige" routes like this.

Any guess on the next IC route being to BKK or will the withdrawl from the route come sooner. Cost conscious [connecting] travellers will still look to KLM, LH because they will still get their free drinks on their connecting flights (you, the most important) and total travel time roughly the same (and if I lived in Trondheim, I'd rather go KLM as you would not have to do clear security before final destination).

Surely SAS now thinks the O&D high yielding market is OSL now large enough and that everyone would prefer to travel with their home carrier. (Unless CO and SAS will revenue share).
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:52 am
BDA

Programs: UA 1K
An aggressive move and finally some action

With all the buzz about Norwegian and Feel Air planning to fly New York I think this is a great aggressive move by SAS to preempt some of this competition.

I have argued before that the biggest mistake SAS is doing is routing Norwegians through CPH.

Now it will be very interesting to see the economics of this route. Is there enough Norwegians going to the US on SAS?: I think so, can't believe US Air, AA or Delta can pose any competition to SAS, given appropriate pricing. Eurobonus is important and I believe US Air success has been due to low prices and packed Continental planes. SAS is a much better choice.

For the last years I have been doing EWR-OSL too many times on Continental and now I look forward to trying SAS and a widebody plane again!

Good luck SAS!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: EB*G
Good news. Would be excellent if the EWR-OSL route could leave late in the evening (22-23) instead of like the earlier flights to CPH and ARN.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:45 am

Programs: SK EBS
Originally Posted by jefi99
CPH-PVG from winter 2011 and OSL-EWR from March 2011 (MOD: please edit headline to CPH, not CHP)

http://se.yhp.waymaker.net/sasgroup/....asp?id=204356
It's really nice to finally see some expansion! I'm also hoping that SK will bring back SEA and/or launch the new SFO route!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:52 am

OSLEWR SK907 11.10-13.15
EWROSL SK908 19.10-08.35

Timings are not bad at all I think. Great to see SK back on this route!

^
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
I wouldn't mind a ARN-SIN direct route although it's very unlikely
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:01 pm

According to Amadeus, CPH-IAD will be a A340 route from March 27. 2011, and the A330 used there will go to OSL-EWR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.