Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Which way should I plan on upgrading on SAS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2010, 10:53 am
Original Poster

I know a similar question has recently been up – but as a young, unexperienced and upcoming frequent traveler, that has been following this forum for a while, I hope you might be able to help me up.

I am travelling CPH-IAD on SK925 on May 8 – and ORD-CPH on SK944 on May 14, and since my employer don’t see the same point in flying me business class as I do – they have booked the cheapest possible tickets they could find.

My travel CPH-IAD is in K-class and ORD-CPH is in H-class.

This is my first flight on SAS and I don’t have status on any of their partner programs either.

What are your advises for getting a better seating than the economy seat I have been assigned, either Economy Extra or Business? I see these possibilities but needs your advise:
  • Getting an operational upgrade (unlikely because of my lack of status I think – what do you think?)
  • Buying an upgrade at check-in (is this possible in CPH and ORD, and should it be done at check-in or at the gate?)
  • Buying an upgrade through optiontown.

Please advice me on which of these possibilities you would recommend. Is it even possible to by an upgrade at check-in – and if so, would that be cheaper than buying it through optiontown?

Regarding optiontown – does the prices go down the closer you come to date of departure, or are they more or less constant?

I've also been doing some reading on getting bumped, if this could get me a better seating on the next flight - and would be willing to do this on the CPH-IAD flight. Based on the data provided - do you think this is an option I should count on?

CPH-IAD info from seatcounter:
A0 B9 C9 D9 E9 G9 H9 J9 K0 L0 M9 Q9 S9 T0 U0 V9 W9 Y9 Z9

And ORD-CPH
A0 B0 C9 D9 E9 G5 H9 J9 K0 L0 M9 Q7 S9 T0 U0 V7 W4 Y9 Z0

Thank you very much for your time and help!
Old May 1, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: SK EBG,Delta Medallion/FB Gold, Choice Gold,M&M SEN,Hertz No.1 Gold,Club Carlson Elite Gold,
Since you are a newcomer to SAS and their EB program, I would guess that your changes of a OP upgrade are slim.
Similarly, if you don't have points to upgrade with (10 000 for Economy Extra or 30 000 for Business), it might be difficult to do a "by points upgrade".

But Optiontown is still valid, and it is a fairly good deal for getting a chance at C-class or Economy Extra. There have been discussions earlier in this forum as to whether the rate drops as departure dates is getting near, but no real conclusion.
They might be lowering their price, but I have seen some flights with a steady upgrade price throughout the entire timeline as well.

As far as buying an upgrade at check in, that would require a more expensive economy ticket - but since I'm not an expert on the "upgrade by cash" subject, someone else here might be able to give good advise on that specific issue.

Anyways - safe travels, and if you have the chance and economical means - try the Optiontown upgrade. It works, and gives you a real chance of an upgrade.
Old May 1, 2010, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your quick reply.

Regarding the Optiontown upgrade - do you know if I am given the same amount of miles with an Optiontown upgraded C-class ticket, as I would if that had been my original ticket. Or do I only receive miles based on my original K-class ticket?
Old May 1, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: SK EBG,Delta Medallion/FB Gold, Choice Gold,M&M SEN,Hertz No.1 Gold,Club Carlson Elite Gold,
The Optiontown upgrade differs from a "upgrade by points" upgrade in that you receive the points for the class you are flying.
I.e. if you're upgraded to C-class with Optiontown, C-class points is what you get.
So in comparison to your original ticket you will be getting a lot more points!
Old May 1, 2010, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Wow that's great...

Seems like you are familiar with Optiontown - do you know if you get to choose your own seat - or is that assigned randomly?
Old May 1, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joemume
As far as buying an upgrade at check in, that would require a more expensive economy ticket
What makes you say that?

cheers,

Henry
Old May 2, 2010, 12:09 am

Cash upgrades are not my speciality, so it might actually be possible, I was thinking about a pre-check in upgrade, where some of the cheaper economy tickets can't be upgraded. So it might actually be possible, it is a separate thread about that particular scenario going on right now, so others might be more accurate in providing facts about cash upgrades at check in.

As far as seating goes my experience is that you are seated in whatever seats are available since it's almost always a last second upgrade.

Last edited by joemume; May 2, 2010 at 4:05 am
Old May 2, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: Eurobonus
Post There is another possibility

Hi,
regarding to your issue.

SAS have now a good deal for buying Eurobonus extrapoints. All purchase of points is 50% of.

If you buy 10.000 points (witch is enough for an check-in upgrade to economy extra) you pay only 225 euros.

Ill bet this is a bit more cheaper then the prize Optiontown will give you.

Do, buy using points for upgrade there is no guarantee that you will get Eurobonus earnings for the class you are upgraded to. The rules say you dont get it, but personally i got it when i didt it last year. So it deepens.

Check the campaign for buying extra points here: http://www.flysas.com/en/EuroBonus/Spend-earn-EuroBonus/Spendearn-points/Buy-points/?vst=true
Old May 4, 2010, 7:16 am
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
Originally Posted by Scanflyer
Do, buy using points for upgrade there is no guarantee that you will get Eurobonus earnings for the class you are upgraded to. The rules say you dont get it, but personally i got it when i didt it last year. So it deepens.
I have upgraded using points several times and never got earnings for the upgraded class. So don't count on it, in fact you were lucky

I think this is the major benefit using OT over points upgrade, even if it is (imo) rather expensive. In another thread i compared the difference from buying the cheap T-class economy ticket and OT:ing yourself into C with buying a Z-class ticket and getting a guaranteed seat. The price difference is only a few 1000 sek.
OT is good for those on restricted company budgets which can then upgrade on their own expense, and for us who wants to get out of the dreaded 25% earning buckets.
Personally, i find it most cost-effective to do an OT upgrade to Extra, and if it is successful, use points to get myself into the C cabin.

Getting op upgrades were easier about 10 years or so, but even for me with status (only *S though) it is really difficult. Point upgraders at the gates also makes it less common. For a non-status holder, i'd say chances are slim.
Old May 4, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Originally Posted by Scanflyer
If you buy 10.000 points (witch is enough for an check-in upgrade to economy extra) you pay only 225 euros.

Ill bet this is a bit more cheaper then the prize Optiontown will give you.
I have checked the prices at OT two or three times (but never used it), and found it to be EUR 170-180 for Y. But maybe the variation is bigger than my small sample shows. The advantage of OT as I see it is the 150% earning when upgrading from a 25% class. (Otherwise I wouldn't even be tempted.)
Old May 5, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Check the Optiontown thread. The day before the flight they reduced the price by 20%, I think. And the email read "up to 75% less".

So the thing to do is check the PNR with Optiontown and give them your email address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.