Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Volcanic ash disrupts airtravel in Northern Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic ash disrupts airtravel in Northern Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: EB, M&M, FB, Matmid, HH, Bonvoy
Back from London...

Just arrived home in Copenhagen from London. I was stranded since Thursday afternoon...

I managed to find a Hertz car in LHR yesterday afternoon. Since it was a danish car (!), they agreed to give it to me to take it back to CPH... even if they charged me anyway the extra fee for leaving a car abroad. But I just so happy to get home, so I did not complain! And it was a nice Audi A6...

Piece of advice: do book the Eurotunnel shuttle: I had to wait 3 trains before leaving. The ferry in Puttgarten was not too bad
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:54 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Flying in lower altitude to avoid the ash cloud (below the ash cloud) will consume more fuel, it has been tried now: http://bit.ly/bUTbuG
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by gene134
Apart from A340 OY-KBC, A330 SE-REF is at ORD as well
Thanks. So except for one AC all are at outstations. Wonder how much maintenance they can get done.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:56 am

This volcano could be spewing heavy ash into the atmosphere for MONTHS! This might turn out to be really bad.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS
Originally Posted by peocro
Just arrived home in Copenhagen from London. I was stranded since Thursday afternoon...
Glad it worked out OK for you , considering the circumstances. Welcome back to Copenhagen and a very welcome to Flyertalk
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: SK *B (?)
Originally Posted by miikka
Flying in lower altitude to avoid the ash cloud (below the ash cloud) will consume more fuel, it has been tried now: http://bit.ly/bUTbuG
Trust the Russians to try crazy stuff.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lnixon
According to Dagens Nyheter people have been investigating the feasibility of receiving TATL traffic in KRN.
That is true.

This must be doing some major damage to the airlines' finances given their insurance coverage more likely than not excludes liability arising from force majeure.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Gustaf
In theory, why can’t they fly on a lower altitude in the affected areas? Media reports that this cloud is located on an altitude of 40 000+ ft… just speculating
.... but then wouldn't they probably have to land in Iceland -- ironic -- and or make their way to some Spanish, Portuguese or African (where different) airport for refueling on such TATL trips?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, One Pass, Executive Club
According to Dagens Nyheter people have been investigating the feasibility of receiving TATL traffic in KRN.
That would be great, and a good PR move generally for SAS. It would increase the perception that they are problem-solvers. My question would be how would people be transported onward from KRN. Dedicated Rail or Bus and Ferry?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: SK *B (?)
Originally Posted by Cattie T
That would be great, and a good PR move generally for SAS. It would increase the perception that they are problem-solvers. My question would be how would people be transported onward from KRN. Dedicated Rail or Bus and Ferry?
Trains are more than full, and there is no spare capacity left to add. Buses it would have to be. (Ferries are a non-option, I think.)
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, One Pass, Executive Club
Trains are more than full, and there is no spare capacity left to add. Buses it would have to be. (Ferries are a non-option, I think.)
Bus from Norrland but I was thinking of star alliance partners like those travelling onward to Germany, or Eastern Europe. A ferry from Karlskrona to Kiel or something like that.

Last edited by Cattie T; Apr 17, 2010 at 1:17 pm
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, Amex Plat, CSP. FAA Rotorcraft PPL
KRN would be an awesome solution. Has anyone heard of anyone flying VFR from Sweden/DK to Spain/Portugal so one could get a TATL flight from there?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: too many to list
Originally Posted by miikka
Flying in lower altitude to avoid the ash cloud (below the ash cloud) will consume more fuel
Yep... so in the end getting people home or not is all about fuel costs to the airlines. Which comes as no surprise.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:49 am

Need help to go back home

I am in Stockholm now, I am based in the UK, I need to go to the UK as soon as possible as my visa expired and I have no money to pay more for hotels, an any body give me advice what to do, many thanks
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:04 am

Air travel reduced alternate methods enough so that now it is an inadequate backup when the poop hits the fan. Guess in a market economy, there's no solution for that. If people want surface travel available, they gotta stop using planes for every trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.