Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Only 1 piece of checked luggage in transatlantic M class starting 01APR2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only 1 piece of checked luggage in transatlantic M class starting 01APR2010

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), SAS EBG
Thumbs down Only 1 piece of checked luggage in transatlantic M class starting 01APR2010

In order to "harmonize" with other transatlantic carriers SK now reduced the free allowance to 1 piece of max 23kg in transatlantic M class.

The second piece will be charged USD50/EUR40.

Applies only to tickets issued on/after 01APR2010.

I assume *G will now have two bags free of charge (rather than 3 before).

I also assume that this will in no way be reflected with cheaper tickets.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: EBG
+1

It does not seem to be posted yet on USA website, but found it on sas.no.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Scandic Top Floor, *SK-G, Choice Club Gold
I did see that on my confirmation for christmas flight to Las Vegas via IAD with SK which does state 1 bag, however I thought it was just an error.

Still, as I bought the ticket in early february I guess I can still bring two bags, despite what the confirmation says.

Last edited by airborn; Mar 2, 2010 at 5:26 am
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
It was bound to come and I must say I do not like it. It was a good thing for my travel patterns to be allowed two pieces in M as I do diving and 23kg is not much. Then it is all up to the EBG status....

One more to consider is that direct flight with SAS is more expensive than with a hub in EU - so this plus the EUR 40,- for an extra back will make the travel even more expensive.

Thumbs down for SAS - yet again

/HerrO
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:25 am

Although not surprised - this is another negative for SK. I have chosen SK over BA on a couple of recent US bound flights, in no small part due to the 2 bag policy. That excuse is no longer there. So apart from the direct US flight with SK I get... oh yeah I forgot, more expensive tickets.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:20 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
, indeed. I'm assuming all already ticketed travel will have the old allowance.

What about EBS/EBG? "Harmonization" with respect to the US members of * Alliance should mean 2 bags for EBS and 3 bags for EBG.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:34 am

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
IMHO, the US rule of 2 x 23kg in M has always been strange. How many people need to carry 46 kg? Well, I do sometimes when travelling for work but that are special cases where overweight of course is paid by the company. The allowance for rest of the world has been 20 kg for ages which make sense for most people no matter if you are travelling on business or leisure. Why should US be different? If this can save SK some money I think it is acceptable, especially now with all the *A partners doing the same. You still get 3 kg more to EWR than BKK.

Cheers,

Last edited by BHIL; Mar 1, 2010 at 6:40 am
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:17 am

Programs: EBD
Harmonization? Does that mean that SAS now will serve something for free in P-class like they do on LH ?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Jespersm
Harmonization? Does that mean that SAS now will serve something for free in P-class like they do on LH ?
- or allow other *G to acces fast track.

No SAS, that was just a lame excuse. Why not say it is it is.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tourist
, indeed. I'm assuming all already ticketed travel will have the old allowance.
Legally, SK will have to do as you assume or run foul of fair trade standards in much of the world.

Originally Posted by tourist
What about EBS/EBG? "Harmonization" with respect to the US members of * Alliance should mean 2 bags for EBS and 3 bags for EBG.
Star Golds flying US airlines (in coach) are allowed 3 free bags of up to 23kgs each on all routes governed under the piece concept. [Flying UA/US/CO in coach as a Star Gold on flights between the US and Europe = 3 free bags of up to 23kgs.] How long this remains, I am not sure.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BHIL
IMHO, the US rule of 2 x 23kg in M has always been strange. How many people need to carry 46 kg?
A lot of people. Most young women leaving Scandinavia to the US need 2 bags with an allowance of up to 23kg per bag.

The baggage fees wouldn't be so popular with the airlines if there were not a lot of customers who would get hit by the baggage fees. The airlines are introducing these fees because there is money to be made in having them, there is the opportunity to engage in tax avoidance strategies and there are a lot of passengers to be hit with these fees.

The allowance for rest of the world has been 20 kg for ages which make sense for most people no matter if you are travelling on business or leisure. Why should US be different?
Not true, as anyone familiar with what the world's 5th most populous country ought to know.

If this can save SK some money I think it is acceptable, especially now with all the *A partners doing the same. You still get 3 kg more to EWR than BKK.

Cheers,
These fees are not about saving SK money -- they are about SK making money at the expense of its customers and even some governments.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
These fees are not about saving SK money -- they are about SK making money at the expense of its customers and even some governments.
Well, it all goes to the bottom line, doesn't it? As you know SK is fighting to survive and even though I have many issues with the airline (especially attitude of the flight crew) I try to support them as much as I can. They need to find ways to make and save money and I still believe this change is a very reasonable one compared to the many other options found with the LCC's.

The allowance of 46 kg to US when flying M has been a luxury for many years. Just think about what 26 kg of excess luggage will cost you on other flights of similar distance.

I am afraid that the good old days have been over for some time and that the difference between M and Y/C is just going to increase.

Cheers,
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:33 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Scandic Top Floor, *SK-G, Choice Club Gold
..but it is still PC

...still there is a difference between a BKK flight and a EWR flight.

eventhough you are allowed 3 kilo more on EWR flight, you still only are allowed one piece (according to PC). on the BKK flight you can have as many bags as you want as long as they do not exceed 20kg.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by airborn
eventhough you are allowed 3 kilo more on EWR flight, you still only are allowed one piece (according to PC). on the BKK flight you can have as many bags as you want as long as they do not exceed 20kg.
True, but still a minor issue in my book.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
IMHO, the US rule of 2 x 23kg in M has always been strange. How many people need to carry 46 kg? ... The allowance for rest of the world has been 20 kg for ages which make sense for most people no matter if you are travelling on business or leisure. Why should US be different?
My guess is the rules in the US are based on pounds not kg, and 23kg = 50.7 pounds, so the limit in US was probably 50 lbs and they just rounded up when converting to kg. Perhaps the scales at the check-in desks in the US are/were in pounds also?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.