Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:21 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by Aldo B
I have a 2/2 record on C upgrade with OT on CPH-NRT. But both times C upgrade was not available on the outbound NRT-CPH leg (used points in the end).
Thanks for the datapoint. But M was probably quite full?

I guess SAS never offers OT for NRT-CPH. My theory is that they never oversell the flight because of cargo (or they even cap max no. of pax by a large margin), so there is never any need for OT.

p.s. I think Yoyo was referring to the seatmap. EF only shows zero availability if the flight is in fact zeroed out. SK 926 shows 2 seats for sale each in C, Y and M for August 1, which is less than 24 hours out.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:36 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
I flew NRT CPH 2 years ago, booked "economy extra plus flex" and got upgraded to C at check in. The flight was full.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: EB*D, Hilton Diamond, Carlson Gold Elite, Amex Plat
I have a 3/8 record at OT, mostly CPH-BKK return. I use expert flyer to check seat map and availability. However, many times the seat map shows a half empty plane, while the availability shows almost full. I know that Economy have different classes so its not that. Let me give an example. I´ll fly CPH-BKK 9th august. According to seat map there is 18 free seats in C, and about 50 in M. Availability show this:

A0 C7 D7 J7 Z0 R0 Y5 S5 B0 E4 M4 H4 Q4 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G3 N0

So...is it because the passengers haven't been given a specific seat yet or have I completely misunderstood this?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Insomnia4u

So...is it because the passengers haven't been given a specific seat yet or have I completely misunderstood this?
Exactly. One can't draw any conclusions about the load based on the seat map since many people will get their seats assigned at the airport during check-in. So for example seat map can show only half of the seats occupied but in reality whole plane might be fully booked.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:45 pm

Tnx, nice to have confirmation on that aspect And as I understand it, even if the different ecoclasses shows (at least) 4 in amount, there can be:

a) Only four seats left in eco
b) four in each booking class
c).....or..?
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:28 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
It's option c.

Let's say a flight is showing A4 B4 C4 D4 (all fictive booking classes that books into the M cabin), it could be anywhere between 4 and 16 seats open in M.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 5:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
Hey!
I am doing this optiontown the first time and I got some questions:
1. How big are your chances of being upgraded? For example, if the Business class is empty are you likely to be upgraded 100% or is it only when Economy is full?
2. Do I get to check in 32 kilos of 2 bags if I do get accepted?
3. Do I get the Business class Eurobonus earnings?
4.Can I sign up for Economy Extra and Business? ANd if I get one would the other one be refunded?

Thanks!

SB

Last edited by strikerbird; Aug 5, 2012 at 5:10 am
Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by strikerbird
Hey!
I am doing this optiontown the first time and I got some questions:
1. How big are your chances of being upgraded? For example, if the Business class is empty are you likely to be upgraded 100% or is it only when Economy is full?
2. Do I get to check in 32 kilos of 2 bags if I do get accepted?
3. Do I get the Business class Eurobonus earnings?
4.Can I sign up for Economy Extra and Business? ANd if I get one would the other one be refunded?

Thanks!

SB
1. Most reports show that its more likely that u get upgraded if M is full but a couple have been upgraded regardless of the latter.
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes and Yes
Old Aug 5, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
Thanks!
If I want ultimately Business class, and I sign up for Economy Extra also would it decrease the chances of business class or not?

Sincerely,

SB
Old Aug 5, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Originally Posted by strikerbird
If I want ultimately Business class, and I sign up for Economy Extra also would it decrease the chances of business class or not?
Here's what it states on the OT page:

"You may select both Economy Extra and Business to maximize your chances. If both are selected, preference will be given to Business but if upgraded to Economy Extra, the upgrade price differential (for Business) will be refunded back."

So it looks like if Business is an option, you'll get that over Eco Extra.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, Marriott Rewards, SPG, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Insomnia4u
...I´ll fly CPH-BKK 9th august. According to seat map there is 18 free seats in C, and about 50 in M. Availability show this:

A0 C7 D7 J7 Z0 R0 Y5 S5 B0 E4 M4 H4 Q4 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G3 N0
I guess you have good chances for OT-upgrade on that flight keep us posted...
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by agehall
It's option c.

Let's say a flight is showing A4 B4 C4 D4 (all fictive booking classes that books into the M cabin), it could be anywhere between 4 and 16 seats open in M.
That's not how you should read it. SAS is willing to sell maximum four seats in M class if it looks like that. And you can be quite sure that M is oversold at that point.

Also, SAS seems to zero out M class below Q booking class about a week before the flight. So if you see 0s after Q close to flight time then it doesn't mean anything. Most other airlines don't do this; instead they effectively block new bookings in cheap eco by pre-purchase rules.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:23 am

Hi

I'm flying CPH-IAD on 13th of august and have done both Y and C upgrade. Was told that the flight is completly zeroed out does this mean zero chance to get upgrade since flight appears full? Novis at all of this. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by mrskrantz
Hi

I'm flying CPH-IAD on 13th of august and have done both Y and C upgrade. Was told that the flight is completly zeroed out does this mean zero chance to get upgrade since flight appears full? Novis at all of this. Thanks in advance for any help.
It depends how it zeroed out. In the summer it is possible that it became so oversold in M that they closed C and Y, but chances are usually that they keep it like C2 or Y2 to attract full fare customers in that case. Your hope is that they are not actually full in Y and C and prefer to take your money then give op-upgrades at the airport.

Once I had a RTW and booked a seat BKK-CPH when it was C2D2. I found out that the entire flight was oversold by 100 (!) at that point. Lots of op-upgrades to C. (This was before Optiontown existed.)
Old Aug 7, 2012, 4:59 am

Programs: SK EBG,Delta Medallion/FB Gold, Choice Gold,M&M SEN,Hertz No.1 Gold,Club Carlson Elite Gold,
Originally Posted by mrskrantz
Hi

Again, I think your odds are good! The flight is zeroed out (probably by the SAS flight manager), but still 6 open seats in C according to the seat map, so my money is on you and your upgrade!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.