Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: SK Gold
I was on SK 910 from NYC to CPH on APR 1st and tried to get upgraded to business class through optiontown. No luck, even though there was plenty of availability in business. A fellow traveller working in the travel industry told me that SAS had made a decision to only upgrade on points on this particular flight, no upgrades through optiontown. What could possibly be the reason for that? Let's not accept the money and fly with some empty business class seats instead!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:00 pm

Get people to spend their points.

As the airline the huge amounts of points out there is a pretty bad situation... you need to anticipate that people will use then sooner or later with more or less cost for the company.

Reducing that amount by upgrading is a cheap way...
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: EK Gold, SK Gold

I hope the same policy will let me use points to upgrade my award ticket to business cph-ewr although upgrades arent usually allowed on award tickets.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Another follow up - OT refunded us the money we paid for upgrades within 5 business days.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:52 am

OPtiontown trustworthy?

I have used optiontown multiple times - and would love to continue with that. However I learned that my trip next week where they until few days ago quoted an upgrade Price of EUR 325 now have changed 400 EUR more (Total apx. 725 EUR).

Every time you mail them tha always comes back with a more or less automated reply like "our pricing is subject to demand and availability...

This might be correct, but do we belive that the traveller paying 325 EUR a month ago is upgraded before the traveller paying EUR 725 today will get his seat and OPTIONTOWN refunding 725 ?? No ofcourse we do not belive in that, and that would by all Means make no business sense.

BTW my trip (4 PAX) is EWR-CPH on APR 18!

And there is lots of Space available in BUS

All the best

Lars Krull

Last edited by munnifar; Apr 5, 2014 at 9:56 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:10 am

Ok, today is 3 days put from our trip CPH - SFO. We have 2 separate OT confirmation and SAS numbers. I contacted both OT and SAS to have them note we are traveling together. One other difference - I booked mine(OT) a day ahead, then his. His was 20€ more.

At 6:30 am, my husband got 2 emails from SAS - one saying he got T class and one saying he got Z class. The Z class email came a few minutes before those T class email. I got no emails at all from SAS. Looking at his (and mine) flight info on flysas.com it still shows him in Go.

He has not gotten anything from OT nor have I. It is 5 hours later...

Experflyer shows 1 seat available in Go; several on available in Go Plus and at least 6 pairs of 2 seats together in Business. Flightstatistics shows no seats available at all.

This should be interesting. Stay tuned...

(We did not get upgrade on trip TO CPH. )

Last edited by DebitNM; Apr 6, 2014 at 9:48 am
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
Originally Posted by DebitNM
I contacted both OT and SAS to have them note we are traveling together.
Unless you really need the points/miles, I wouldn't ask to combine the pnr's. You are just complicating it for OT, and reducing your chances. I have been opgraded with OT many times, and then had my companion get an opup at check in.

Of course there is a risk of not being in the same class if the flight is overbooked, but it has never happened to me.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:26 am

They would NOT combine PNR's - they simply made a note somehow that we were traveling together. Still no email from OT, nor any from SAS for me.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by fassy
Prices are really going up. Just booked a trip for a friend and see for UTo:

CPH-SFO: Y+ to C for 360€
SFO-CPH: Y to Y+ for 317€ and Y+ to C for 731€

But the flight is already in two weeks outbound and three weeks for the flight back.
For the trip on beginning next weekend and returning the weekend after the UTo prices now have changed to reasonable prices:

CPH-SFO: Y+ to C for 250€
SFO-CPH: Y to Y+ for 220€ and Y+ to C for 450€

So, it seems checking every day until you get the price is good seems to be good idea.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:31 pm

T-30 hours. No more emails from SAS nor any from OT. However, just checked our status on OT website and it shows NOT upgrades to neither Go Plus nor Business despite only 1 available Go seat available and lots of room in the other 2 classes. Oh well, it was a disappointment but what can you do? I doubt we will fly SAS again to Europe. We truly did it to burn points and get a cheap upgrade, but they won't miss our business.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:30 am

Upgraded to J SK998 PVG-CPH yesterday using OT, funny thing I got the confirmation email after I had come home.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:54 pm

So, I am not one to let go of things easily. When we got to airport, I showed the baggage drop agent the email saying hubby got upgrade. He tells me to talk to customer service agent. I go over and show her the email and she doesn't say no right away, a small sign. She makes some calls, does a lot of talking in Danish. She tells me that no one is quite sure what the rules are. It seems since we bought the ticket with half cash and half points, OT won't work!! I explain that no one at either OT nor SAS ever said anything to me about it. She says the reason he got 2 emails, was that they did give him upgrade; then retracted it with the second email.

She is very nice and suggests we talk to gate agent. So off we go. Hubby is already pretty embarrassed that I am so pushy.

We get to desk and there is an upgrade desk. I tell my same story. She checks again. I ask if there is any way we can get upgraded, preferably to Business but go Plus would work. She says we can buy them. I ask price. 3999DKk (each) for business. Yikes, not happening. She offers Go Plus for 1999 Dkk (each). I do a quick compute and figure we can live with this. It takers her a while to get this done. Meanwhile it's getting late and a family of 5 are trying to get upgraded at next counter. I can't quite tell, but it looks like this family may be taking the remaining Plus seats. I say, sort of, off handed, "if Plus is full, we'd wouldn't mind being in Business" the nice agent smiles and says "yes, that is just what I am doing. You paid for Plus, but I am putting you in Business. 8 G & H!" So, in the end, perseverance paid off. And we saved $100 each ticket.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:45 am

Might be worth mentioning that if you don't get an email about your upgrade, check your spam folder. At least my Gmail interpreted "Congratulations! You have been upgraded" message as spam. Not that the confirmation email is really needed anywhere, but it is nice to know which cabin you are going to fly beforehand.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:51 am

Yup, the denials from optiontown were in spam! Gmail.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by DebitNM
It seems since we bought the ticket with half cash and half points, OT won't work!! .
Do we need to take this as cash&points cannot be OT-upgraded as a rule?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.