Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SASs intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Nov 22, 2012, 2:57 am

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Sorry, this may have been answered before.

Booked on SK 925/926 CPH-IAD r/t later this month. The flight No is UA codeshare and ticket stock is 016 (= UA ticket).

Optiontown seems to be unable to retrieve my booking. Can not upgrade on UA (but operated by SK) ticket? Thx
Did you use the SK or Amadeus PNR? I don't think the UA PNR would work at OT
Old Nov 22, 2012, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I used Amadeus PNR No (which is also SK PNR No).

I havn't even tried UA PNR as it will (obviously) not work
Old Nov 22, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
I contacted Optiontown CR when flying UA-code on SK-metal. They were able to dig up a PNR that worked. Do note, though, that OT might take the opportunity to increase the price (happened to me before when requesting help for a certain departure).
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Spire ambassador, Hilton gold, Bonvoy??? Platinum
ORD-CPH does price for optiontown upgrade to Economy plus vary much?

Flying Saturday night. are there any other benefits besides extra luggage? Lounge access?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Originally Posted by msn bubba

Flying Saturday night. are there any other benefits besides extra luggage? Lounge access?
In my experience, the USD price varies based on the USD-EUR rate. Earlier this year, I monitored the OT price for an IAD-CPH flight, and the price I saw (in USD) would flucutuate based on the exchange rate, so I'm guessing price is fixed in some other currency.

Eco Extra is a better seat than Eco and there are power ports at each seat, which is the main benefit in my case.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards

Do you mean outside the onboard differences in cabin/seat/meals? You can check in at the Business counter. And you are allowed to use the Fast Track security lane in CPH. (The fast track lane is for some reason never open when I'm flying SK from ORD, so I don't know about that...) No lounge.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 3:11 am

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
The price can vary for the same flight. I've experienced 18 difference for my daughter's "offer" and the one they sent to me.

Originally Posted by gakke
Optiontown uses an algorithm that is a secret. I've used OT 15 times (to and from ORD and IAD) and been upgraded 11.

Here are some observations:
  • If you've used them before, then prices might be higher (my daughter got a cheaper offer for the exact same flights - and we both got upgrqaded).
  • They send email with lower offer if there is room in economy, i.e. low chance of getting upgraded. I've received 2 discount offers that didn't give upgrades.
  • Prices get more expensive if there is a better chance of economy selling out.

Things I'm not so sure of:
  • Prices rise if you repeatedly look at the same flight over a short period of time.
  • The person that pays a higher price has priority .
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Spire ambassador, Hilton gold, Bonvoy??? Platinum
no longer need to pass security at CPH for transit

Originally Posted by tourist
Do you mean outside the onboard differences in cabin/seat/meals? You can check in at the Business counter. And you are allowed to use the Fast Track security lane in CPH. (The fast track lane is for some reason never open when I'm flying SK from ORD, so I don't know about that...) No lounge.
I am told there is no longer a need to pass through security at CPH for transiting passengers from US to Europe
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
I am told there is no longer a need to pass through security at CPH for transiting passengers from US to Europe
Right. There is passport control when exiting and entering Shengen zone in CPH, but no additional security control anymore. Recently I went RIX-CPH-ORD and back, had easy and quick flight connection.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Originally Posted by tourist
And you are allowed to use the Fast Track security lane in CPH.
Oh, yes, that's correct. (And that security check didn't have any fast track anyway... ). I was thinking about your return trip!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 4:48 pm

Hi all, I've got to know Optiontown lately and immediately purchased UTo from economy to business for the flight SK983 on 22 Dec. I've read all the old posts here, and the chance of upgrade between CPH-NRT seems quite low... I also checked sas.dk website. It says a couple of seats left in economy, but I cannot see how many seats are left in business - hopefully it's not full. Can anybody tell/guess how good my chance could be based on your experience? Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:56 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Many seats available in all classes for SK983 on 22 Dec, upgrade with UTo is unlikely in this case.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.1/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
Code:
CPH  Copenhagen Kastrup DK [EKCH]
NRT  Tokyo Narita JP [RJAA]
SAT  22 Dec 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
SK         983     CPH   15:40     NRT   10:40     343      A0 C9 D9 J9 Z0 R0 Y9 S9 B0 E9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G9 N0
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:41 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by THD
Many seats available in all classes for SK983 on 22 Dec, upgrade with UTo is unlikely in this case.
But if upgrade for points is an alternative for you, chances are quite good apparently!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 1:51 pm

Thanks! I need to buy a few thousand points for upgrade to business, but it definitely increases the chance. The problem is I'm just EBB, so my name on the stand-by upgrade list will come only after EBG and EBS. I'll try my luck!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Originally Posted by Khara
Thanks! I need to buy a few thousand points for upgrade to business, but it definitely increases the chance. The problem is I'm just EBB, so my name on the stand-by upgrade list will come only after EBG and EBS. I'll try my luck!
SAS will increase the prices for standby upgrades from Dec 14. Don't know the new rates, but it will be the same for standby as confirmed upgrades in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.