Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SASs intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:57 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
No on both accounts jackylek. Availability wide open.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.2/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
Code:
CPH  Copenhagen Kastrup DK [EKCH]
BKK  Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Intl TH [VTBS]
SAT  08 Sep 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------------
SK         973     CPH   22:50     BKK   14:45     343      A0 C9 D9 J9 Z9 R0 Y9 S9 B9 E9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 U0 K9 L9 T9 G9 N0
[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.2/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
Code:
BKK  Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Intl TH [VTBS]
CPH  Copenhagen Kastrup DK [EKCH]
SAT  15 Sep 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------------
SK         972     BKK   00:25     CPH   06:35     343      A0 C9 D3 J0 Z0 R0 Y9 S9 B9 E9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 U0 K9 L9 T9 G9 N0
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:51 am

Programs: EBG, Scandic Top Floor, Choice Club Gold, HHonors Silver
Confirmed upgrade M -> Z on SK907 OSL-EWR tomorrow, August 23rd. Received new e-ticket from SK in the mail this morning. ^

Still listed as "pending" on OT website though - but more the norm that I first get the upgraded e-ticket and a couple of hours later the notification from Optiontown.
(Last time I actually did not get the upgrade notification from either SK or OT until landing in CPH, but received a nice surprise when checking into the flight at LAX and receiving a Z ticket on the ORD-CPH leg).

Success rate 4/5 so far since October. Three in Z and one in Y. Happy flying everybody!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:08 am

Programs: EB*D, Hilton Diamond, Carlson Gold Elite, Amex Plat
OT upgrades

Just an update on my previous post regarding CPH-BKK t/r. Got upgraded to business both times, and got the confirmation a couple of days before. The only problem flying business is to go back to economy again, especially on long haul since thats an 11 hour flight, and its a big difference in standard and space.

I presume eco was oversold both times, and I know that it have been cancellations on other long haul flights, so maybe that was (one) of the reasons. So now I have got upgraded 4 out of 10 flights.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:46 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I tried CPH-NRT. I was rejected about 36 hours before flight. In the end, I think there was only a few empty seats in M. I upgraded to Y with points. 8 empty seats there. The gate agent told me that Japanese groups cause these flights to be very uncertain and that the flight was going out with only 20 empty seats.

I was the only M-Y upgrader because the seatmap was exactly the same as the last check on Expertflyer about 48 hours before. In M there was about 60 unoccupied seats according to EF. At online check-in window it was down to about 20.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 1:35 am

Programs: EBG
I just paid for an optiontown upgrade and see someting weird when looking at my booking on optiontown.com: I am flying outbound with LX (osl - zrh - pek) with booking class M and inbound with SAS (where I did the optiontown uto). The LX portion of the flight reads "Cabin - business". Is this a known optiontown bug? (When looking at checkmytrip my ticket still reads M class and economy on the outbound flight). I am EBG, btw.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Not sure this warrants a new thread, but OV just announced you can use OT's empty seat option. It's 1 EUR service fee and 4 EUR for the empty seat:

http://estonian-air.ee/en/travel-inf...ht/empty-seat/

I typically fly OV on the CPH-TLL route which is about 1.5 hours. I'm not sure I'd make use of this offer, since the flight is short and I don't mind the current seats for that flight.

On the other hand 5 EUR isn't much to pay. I wonder how much OV and OT plan to make out of this. OV probably makes more money selling 2 drinks on the flight than through this.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by jfidler
Not sure this warrants a new thread, but OV just announced you can use OT's empty seat option. It's 1 EUR service fee and 4 EUR for the empty seat:

http://estonian-air.ee/en/travel-inf...ht/empty-seat/

I typically fly OV on the CPH-TLL route which is about 1.5 hours. I'm not sure I'd make use of this offer, since the flight is short and I don't mind the current seats for that flight.

On the other hand 5 EUR isn't much to pay. I wonder how much OV and OT plan to make out of this. OV probably makes more money selling 2 drinks on the flight than through this.
Actually, that is rather clever I think. Here they try to charge for seats that will go out empty anyway, even though the fee is nominal it is better than no income for the empty seat (from the airline point of view).
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Originally Posted by view
Actually, that is rather clever I think. Here they try to charge for seats that will go out empty anyway, even though the fee is nominal it is better than no income for the empty seat (from the airline point of view).
...and with that, all hope of any EBG seat blocking goes out the window.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by ILS2
...and with that, all hope of any EBG seat blocking goes out the window.
Not like that has ever worked! I have given up all hope since long ago... I just keep getting disappointed. LH manages seat blocking though..
Old Sep 15, 2012, 3:34 am

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
Originally Posted by esims
I just paid for an optiontown upgrade and see someting weird when looking at my booking on optiontown.com: I am flying outbound with LX (osl - zrh - pek) with booking class M and inbound with SAS (where I did the optiontown uto). The LX portion of the flight reads "Cabin - business". Is this a known optiontown bug? (When looking at checkmytrip my ticket still reads M class and economy on the outbound flight). I am EBG, btw.
Optiontown marks flights that it can't upgraded as business. I think that it was a lazy programmer's simple solution for the task "block flights that can't be upgraded".
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:24 am

Received new e-ticket this morning (50 hours prior to departure) for SK907 on Saturday. Upgraded Y to C. All fare classes have been zeroed out since the beginning of September. Paid 156+5 for the upgrade. All of my Uto upgrades have cleared in the 10 or so times I've used it over the past 2 years.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:30 am

Programs: SK*LifetimeG, AY*S, Member of LH, BA, VS, NH and FI
Price for upgrade from M to Z on CPH-PVG

Hi.
Are there anybody who paid for upgrade from M to Z on CPH-PVG. Currently, optiontown says 336 euro ex. sign-up fee on my travel date.

I have before tried upgrades on CPH-PEK and CPH-NRT, the prices are usually 285 euro ex. sign-up fee.

336 euro is the standard price for CPH-PVG, or it is because of the dates I flies on?

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:16 pm

Denied

Just was informed that my upgrade from Y to C for tomorrow's SK910 flight was not upgraded. Very disappointed. This is the first time my Uto did not clear in the past 2+ years I've been using optiontown. I did notice that C was zeroed out earlier today, but Y still had 3 or 4 available tix left. I guess its a heavy day tomorrow in C and hence my upgrade was not approved. I love how optiontown still says "The more you sign-up for UTo, the higher are chances to get upgraded. So keep participating in UTo." Obviously this is a cheap sales tactic.

I was really looking forward to bashing SAS's new longhaul C product (as of Oct 1st), especially since on my OSL-EWR flight last week I was VDB'd to UA39 and enjoyed their superior BusinessFirst service - on a 757 no less..... Guess I'll have to wait until the holidays.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 2:27 am

Programs: EBS
Originally Posted by KroFlyer
Just was informed that my upgrade from Y to C for tomorrow's SK910 flight was not upgraded. Very disappointed. This is the first time my Uto did not clear in the past 2+ years I've been using optiontown. I did notice that C was zeroed out earlier today, but Y still had 3 or 4 available tix left. I guess its a heavy day tomorrow in C and hence my upgrade was not approved. I love how optiontown still says "The more you sign-up for UTo, the higher are chances to get upgraded. So keep participating in UTo." Obviously this is a cheap sales tactic.

I was really looking forward to bashing SAS's new longhaul C product (as of Oct 1st), especially since on my OSL-EWR flight last week I was VDB'd to UA39 and enjoyed their superior BusinessFirst service - on a 757 no less..... Guess I'll have to wait until the holidays.
How many times have you been upgraded?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 2:41 am

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by KroFlyer
Just was informed that my upgrade from Y to C for tomorrow's SK910 flight was not upgraded. Very disappointed.
That's always kind of gambling with Optiontown Don't be too disappointed - at least you didn't loose anything (except small transaction fee) so it's very safe gambling. On average during several years I have had Optiontown upgrades about two thirds of flights when I had asked for them. I still see this as very good result! Most gamblers in Las Vegas would be excited to play with no losses and significantly more than 50% wins

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.