FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1041467-optiontown-com-paid-upgrades-sas.html)

strikerbird Aug 7, 2012 8:47 am

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

I am flying on the 10th to pvg. What are my odds for being upgraded to business? :)

SB

agehall Aug 7, 2012 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget (Post 19073483)
That's not how you should read it. SAS is willing to sell maximum four seats in M class if it looks like that. And you can be quite sure that M is oversold at that point.

Also, SAS seems to zero out M class below Q booking class about a week before the flight. So if you see 0s after Q close to flight time then it doesn't mean anything. Most other airlines don't do this; instead they effectively block new bookings in cheap eco by pre-purchase rules.

Do you have any reference to documentation supporting this?

As far as I know, SAS *could* be willing to sell 4 seats in each booking class. The likely scenario is that they want to sell a total of 4 seats, in either booking class, but it could also be 4 seats in each.

GinFizz Aug 8, 2012 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by strikerbird (Post 19074936)
I am flying on the 10th to pvg. What are my odds for being upgraded to business? :)

SB

Assuming you mean Aug 10th it looks like there is still availability in the Y and Y+ cabins. My guess is low probability of a OT upgrade to C. Plenty of seats in C still though, so you might be able to get a upgrade at the gate using points. Good luck in any case!

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.2/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
Code:

CPH  Copenhagen Kastrup DK [EKCH]
PVG  Shanghai PuDong CN [ZSPD]
FRI  10 Aug 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------------
SK        997    CPH  18:25    PVG  10:40    343      A0 C9 D9 J9 Z0 R0 Y9 S9 B0 E9 M9 H9 Q0 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G9 N0

gnaget Aug 9, 2012 3:43 am

Originally Posted by agehall (Post 19076402)
Do you have any reference to documentation supporting this?

As far as I know, SAS *could* be willing to sell 4 seats in each booking class. The likely scenario is that they want to sell a total of 4 seats, in either booking class, but it could also be 4 seats in each.

Many years of experience. When you a buy a ticket with this scenario you will find that several of the lower buckets will drop in availability while the higher might remain at 4. It depends on the algorithm. But it is highly unlikely that a purchase of one ticket will only affect one booking class when the flight is close to full like this.

With UA I can recall a concrete scenario with a close to sold out flight Y3 B2 M1 H1 Q1 V0 etc.
I bought a ticket (Q class) and it dropped to Y2 B1 M0 H0 etc. On UA Y and B are "full fare" usually refundable booking classes.

SuperFlyBoy Aug 9, 2012 4:01 am

Originally Posted by gnaget (Post 19087535)
Many years of experience. When you a buy a ticket with this scenario you will find that several of the lower buckets will drop in availability while the higher might remain at 4. It depends on the algorithm. But it is highly unlikely that a purchase of one ticket will only affect one booking class when the flight is close to full like this.

With UA I can recall a concrete scenario with a close to sold out flight Y3 B2 M1 H1 Q1 V0 etc.
I bought a ticket (Q class) and it dropped to Y2 B1 M0 H0 etc. On UA Y and B are "full fare" usually refundable booking classes.

I would concur with this analysis and which is usually the case with LH and Jet Airways as well...

agehall Aug 9, 2012 1:01 pm

Yes, I totally agree with both of you that this is *usually* the case, but my point is that it is impossible to know without access to the revenue management systems. It's pretty safe to assume there are only 4 seats available for sale in my previous example, but there *could* be 16.

gnaget Aug 10, 2012 6:31 am

Originally Posted by agehall (Post 19090583)
Yes, I totally agree with both of you that this is *usually* the case, but my point is that it is impossible to know without access to the revenue management systems. It's pretty safe to assume there are only 4 seats available for sale in my previous example, but there *could* be 16.

There is no basis for your 4 X 4 arithmetic. Try booking 5 seats in eco when it's E4 M4 H4 Q4 and I am very sure that you will be unsuccessful.

Also, there is probably ZERO seats physically available in eco at this point. The bucket numbers only indicate the number for sale for a fare with the corresponding booking code.

SuperFlyBoy Aug 10, 2012 6:32 am

Originally Posted by gnaget (Post 19094826)
There is no basis for your 4 X 4 arithmetic. Try booking 5 seats in eco when it's E4 M4 H4 Q4 and I am very sure that you will be unsuccessful.

+1

kauppias Aug 10, 2012 7:30 am

Hi, ANyone with access to seats left could you check for me the following flight

SK945 Stockholm (ARN) to Chicago (ORD)
Thu, Aug 16 10:15

Would it pay off to try a ecoextra to C?

ClaesJ Aug 11, 2012 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by kauppias (Post 19095045)
Hi, ANyone with access to seats left could you check for me the following flight

SK945 Stockholm (ARN) to Chicago (ORD)
Thu, Aug 16 10:15

Would it pay off to try a ecoextra to C?

A0 C2 D2 J1 Z1 R0 Y2 S0 B0 E0 M0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G0 N0

- Looks like there might be some chance based on the above

gnaget Aug 11, 2012 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by ClaesJ (Post 19103044)
A0 C2 D2 J1 Z1 R0 Y2 S0 B0 E0 M0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G0 N0

- Looks like there might be some chance based on the above

That looks optimal. M class wildly over-booked and they are restricting Y an C availability for that reason... maybe.

kauppias Aug 11, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks for the info, but as there are two of us together and only 2 seats free in C it might be hard? I wonder how many people wouldbe reaccommodated on the cph-ord route if M is so overbooked :) too bad im in Y I would gladly change :D

kauppias Aug 13, 2012 1:30 am

Originally Posted by gnaget (Post 19103050)
That looks optimal. M class wildly over-booked and they are restricting Y an C availability for that reason... maybe.

it looks like M is over sold on all the US bound SK flights on that date, I wonder what is going on there? or maybe I am reading the charts wrong :) Good day for a bump...

agehall Aug 15, 2012 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget (Post 19094826)

Also, there is probably ZERO seats physically available in eco at this point. The bucket numbers only indicate the number for sale for a fare with the corresponding booking code.

Which part of "could" did you not understand? You state yourself that the bucket numbers has no relation to the physical seats, which is what I'm trying to point out as well - I'm just pointing at the other extreme ie 16 seats although I agree it is far more likely that the flight is all sold out in practice.

jackylek Aug 16, 2012 3:48 am

Hi

Any chance for a Option uppgrade on SK : CPH-BKK 08.Sept and BKK-CPH 15.Sept ?

Both from Y to Y+ and Y to C

Thanks for helping !