FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1041467-optiontown-com-paid-upgrades-sas.html)

gnaget Aug 1, 12 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Aldo B (Post 19036986)
I have a 2/2 record on C upgrade with OT on CPH-NRT. But both times C upgrade was not available on the outbound NRT-CPH leg (used points in the end).

Thanks for the datapoint. But M was probably quite full?

I guess SAS never offers OT for NRT-CPH. My theory is that they never oversell the flight because of cargo (or they even cap max no. of pax by a large margin), so there is never any need for OT.

p.s. I think Yoyo was referring to the seatmap. EF only shows zero availability if the flight is in fact zeroed out. SK 926 shows 2 seats for sale each in C, Y and M for August 1, which is less than 24 hours out.

ranskis Aug 1, 12 4:36 am

I flew NRT CPH 2 years ago, booked "economy extra plus flex" and got upgraded to C at check in. The flight was full.

Insomnia4u Aug 3, 12 9:14 am

I have a 3/8 record at OT, mostly CPH-BKK return. I use expert flyer to check seat map and availability. However, many times the seat map shows a half empty plane, while the availability shows almost full. I know that Economy have different classes so its not that. Let me give an example. IŽll fly CPH-BKK 9th august. According to seat map there is 18 free seats in C, and about 50 in M. Availability show this:

A0 C7 D7 J7 Z0 R0 Y5 S5 B0 E4 M4 H4 Q4 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G3 N0

So...is it because the passengers haven't been given a specific seat yet or have I completely misunderstood this?

fqtvHEL Aug 3, 12 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Insomnia4u (Post 19052874)

So...is it because the passengers haven't been given a specific seat yet or have I completely misunderstood this?

Exactly. One can't draw any conclusions about the load based on the seat map since many people will get their seats assigned at the airport during check-in. So for example seat map can show only half of the seats occupied but in reality whole plane might be fully booked.

Insomnia4u Aug 3, 12 6:45 pm

Tnx, nice to have confirmation on that aspect :) And as I understand it, even if the different ecoclasses shows (at least) 4 in amount, there can be:

a) Only four seats left in eco
b) four in each booking class
c).....or..? :)

agehall Aug 4, 12 12:28 am

It's option c.

Let's say a flight is showing A4 B4 C4 D4 (all fictive booking classes that books into the M cabin), it could be anywhere between 4 and 16 seats open in M.

strikerbird Aug 5, 12 5:02 am

Hey!
I am doing this optiontown the first time and I got some questions:
1. How big are your chances of being upgraded? For example, if the Business class is empty are you likely to be upgraded 100% or is it only when Economy is full?
2. Do I get to check in 32 kilos of 2 bags if I do get accepted?
3. Do I get the Business class Eurobonus earnings?
4.Can I sign up for Economy Extra and Business? ANd if I get one would the other one be refunded?

Thanks!

SB

Insomnia4u Aug 5, 12 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by strikerbird (Post 19062251)
Hey!
I am doing this optiontown the first time and I got some questions:
1. How big are your chances of being upgraded? For example, if the Business class is empty are you likely to be upgraded 100% or is it only when Economy is full?
2. Do I get to check in 32 kilos of 2 bags if I do get accepted?
3. Do I get the Business class Eurobonus earnings?
4.Can I sign up for Economy Extra and Business? ANd if I get one would the other one be refunded?

Thanks!

SB

1. Most reports show that its more likely that u get upgraded if M is full but a couple have been upgraded regardless of the latter.
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes and Yes

strikerbird Aug 5, 12 3:14 pm

Thanks!
If I want ultimately Business class, and I sign up for Economy Extra also would it decrease the chances of business class or not?

Sincerely,

SB

jfidler Aug 5, 12 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by strikerbird (Post 19064940)
If I want ultimately Business class, and I sign up for Economy Extra also would it decrease the chances of business class or not?

Here's what it states on the OT page:

"You may select both Economy Extra and Business to maximize your chances. If both are selected, preference will be given to Business but if upgraded to Economy Extra, the upgrade price differential (for Business) will be refunded back."

So it looks like if Business is an option, you'll get that over Eco Extra.

E.N. Aug 6, 12 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Insomnia4u (Post 19052874)
...IŽll fly CPH-BKK 9th august. According to seat map there is 18 free seats in C, and about 50 in M. Availability show this:

A0 C7 D7 J7 Z0 R0 Y5 S5 B0 E4 M4 H4 Q4 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G3 N0

I guess you have good chances for OT-upgrade on that flight ;) keep us posted...

gnaget Aug 7, 12 1:31 am

Originally Posted by agehall (Post 19057160)
It's option c.

Let's say a flight is showing A4 B4 C4 D4 (all fictive booking classes that books into the M cabin), it could be anywhere between 4 and 16 seats open in M.

That's not how you should read it. SAS is willing to sell maximum four seats in M class if it looks like that. And you can be quite sure that M is oversold at that point.

Also, SAS seems to zero out M class below Q booking class about a week before the flight. So if you see 0s after Q close to flight time then it doesn't mean anything. Most other airlines don't do this; instead they effectively block new bookings in cheap eco by pre-purchase rules.

mrskrantz Aug 7, 12 2:23 am

Hi

I'm flying CPH-IAD on 13th of august and have done both Y and C upgrade. Was told that the flight is completly zeroed out does this mean zero chance to get upgrade since flight appears full? Novis at all of this. Thanks in advance for any help.

gnaget Aug 7, 12 2:33 am

Originally Posted by mrskrantz (Post 19073605)
Hi

I'm flying CPH-IAD on 13th of august and have done both Y and C upgrade. Was told that the flight is completly zeroed out does this mean zero chance to get upgrade since flight appears full? Novis at all of this. Thanks in advance for any help.

It depends how it zeroed out. In the summer it is possible that it became so oversold in M that they closed C and Y, but chances are usually that they keep it like C2 or Y2 to attract full fare customers in that case. Your hope is that they are not actually full in Y and C and prefer to take your money then give op-upgrades at the airport.

Once I had a RTW and booked a seat BKK-CPH when it was C2D2. I found out that the entire flight was oversold by 100 (!) at that point. Lots of op-upgrades to C. (This was before Optiontown existed.)

joemume Aug 7, 12 4:59 am

Originally Posted by mrskrantz (Post 19073605)
Hi

Again, I think your odds are good! The flight is zeroed out (probably by the SAS flight manager), but still 6 open seats in C according to the seat map, so my money is on you and your upgrade! :D