FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1041467-optiontown-com-paid-upgrades-sas.html)

fqtvcph Jul 25, 12 2:53 am


Originally Posted by gnaget (Post 18996882)
I really don't think Optiontown has any idea about EBG or *G status.

My impression is that EBG-status matters. I can only tell about my and my friends' experience with Optiontown, mainly from CPH-NRT. Two of my friends tried Optiontown upgrades, but they didn't get. They each have tried once, one of them has no status in LH and another has no status in NH. But a friend and I with EBG-status usually get upgrades, when we apply.

I don't know exactly how the seat availability of these flights were, but I can tell that most of them were overbooked in M.

gnaget Jul 25, 12 11:10 am


Originally Posted by fqtvcph (Post 18997469)
My impression is that EBG-status matters. I can only tell about my and my friends' experience with Optiontown, mainly from CPH-NRT. Two of my friends tried Optiontown upgrades, but they didn't get. They each have tried once, one of them has no status in LH and another has no status in NH. But a friend and I with EBG-status usually get upgrades, when we apply.

I don't know exactly how the seat availability of these flights were, but I can tell that most of them were overbooked in M.

Interesting. So you are saying that CPH-NRT was also fully booked (or close) in M class when you got the upgrades? My impression is that this is one of the toughest routes for OT because the loads are not very good. They are still selling T class seats (T2) on my flight with about 30 days to go. Would you even bother with OT in this case? I am obviously *G.

fqtvcph Jul 25, 12 3:39 pm


Originally Posted by gnaget (Post 18999759)
Interesting. So you are saying that CPH-NRT was also fully booked (or close) in M class when you got the upgrades? My impression is that this is one of the toughest routes for OT because the loads are not very good. They are still selling T class seats (T2) on my flight with about 30 days to go. Would you even bother with OT in this case? I am obviously *G.

Yes, my flights were fully booked or close when I got OT upgrades. I usually take CPH-NRT on the days with good loads, for example Fridays in high season.

If I am in your situation, I will still try to apply for OT upgrades because I don't know how OT clears upgrades, also because you only loose 5 euro, if it won't be cleared. And I can hear that you still have 30 days to go. You never know what will happen with load situation.

I will have CPH-PEK in next week, and I apply for upgrades through OT. M-cabin doesn't look overcrowded now. Though it looks suddenly more crowded than earlier this week. I can share my experience with OT on not-fully-booked flights later next week.:)

gnaget Jul 25, 12 8:12 pm


Originally Posted by fqtvcph (Post 19001654)
Yes, my flights were fully booked or close when I got OT upgrades. I usually take CPH-NRT on the days with good loads, for example Fridays in high season.

If I am in your situation, I will still try to apply for OT upgrades because I don't know how OT clears upgrades, also because you only loose 5 euro, if it won't be cleared. And I can hear that you still have 30 days to go. You never know what will happen with load situation.

I will have CPH-PEK in next week, and I apply for upgrades through OT. M-cabin doesn't look overcrowded now. Though it looks suddenly more crowded than earlier this week. I can share my experience with OT on not-fully-booked flights later next week.:)

That would be great info; would appreciate it. My issue is strategic because I have 20k expiring points and don't have enough total for C class in both directions. I need to use them in one direction. Ideally I would have taken a chance on NRT-CPH in about 10 days but OT is not available; it seems that they don't offer it in this direction. (What's your experience?) Here I am in row 14 in Y whereas I booked M for CPH-NRT, so I might just save the points for CPH-NRT.

On the other hand it is prudent to use expiring points on the first opportunity. Decisions, decisions......

Getting OT for CPH-NRT would also be additionally beneficial since I would get 50% qualifying mile bonus on UA for Y or C. But with 90 empty seats in M.......

YoyoTrucco Jul 26, 12 12:19 pm

Opinion Request
 
If I'm reading this right, based on the below, my chances of an upgrade to Business is slim. I have no status with EB. And I'm using OT for the first time, trying to move two of us from econ to business. Thanks in advance for the insight.

8/4/12- IAD to CPH- SK 926
A/0 C/9 D/9 J/9 Z/0 R/0 Y/9 S/9 B/0 E/9 M/9 H/9 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 G/9 N/0

A380*G Jul 27, 12 10:26 am


Originally Posted by YoyoTrucco (Post 19006933)
If I'm reading this right, based on the below, my chances of an upgrade to Business is slim. I have no status with EB. And I'm using OT for the first time, trying to move two of us from econ to business. Thanks in advance for the insight.

8/4/12- IAD to CPH- SK 926
A/0 C/9 D/9 J/9 Z/0 R/0 Y/9 S/9 B/0 E/9 M/9 H/9 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 G/9 N/0

Welcome to FT YoyoTrucco!

I think your chances are quite good. I think you will be upgrade. Please let us know the result.

YoyoTrucco Jul 27, 12 11:07 am

Thanks. Will do.


Originally Posted by A380*G (Post 19012667)
Welcome to FT YoyoTrucco!

I think your chances are quite good. I think you will be upgrade. Please let us know the result.


fqtvcph Jul 30, 12 2:03 am

So my upgrade from M to C on CPH-PEK is now cleared around 60 hours before departure. :D My original booking class was K.

When I got a new e-ticket receipt from SAS, the seat availability according to flight stats are:
A/0 C/9 D/9 J/9 Z/0 R/0 Y/9 S/9 B/0 E/9 M/9 H/9 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 G/8 N/0

I don't think that this flight is totally full, as there were many seats in K until one week before the departure. And then seats below booking class H were all zeroed out, which is a normal SAS procedure when the departure date is getting closer.

Paid 285 Euro.

YoyoTrucco
So it seems that there is a good chance for you, as the seat availability on your flight looks like mine. ^

gnaget
I am not sure that this info helps you to predict your possibility to get upgraded. But keep eye on the seat availability on your flight.

gnaget Jul 30, 12 3:48 am

Cool. Thanks. Maybe I will upgrade outbound with points and then gamble on OT. I will still have enough for Eco extra on the return as a back-up. Wow, I checked your seatmap (Aug 3) and it's empty in M class. Everything from row 33 and back in the center section is unoccupied except one!

Yes, you are right about zeroing the cheap eco classes close to departure. Y class is quite full; only 6 seats on seatmap.

p.s. Once you request OT then you can't cancel the request? So I should wait to make sure that I can use my expiring points on the outbound before I request OT for the return.


Originally Posted by fqtvcph (Post 19025624)
So my upgrade from M to C on CPH-PEK is now cleared around 60 hours before departure. :D My original booking class was K.

When I got a new e-ticket receipt from SAS, the seat availability according to flight stats are:
A/0 C/9 D/9 J/9 Z/0 R/0 Y/9 S/9 B/0 E/9 M/9 H/9 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 G/8 N/0

I don't think that this flight is totally full, as there were many seats in K until one week before the departure. And then seats below booking class H were all zeroed out, which is a normal SAS procedure when the departure date is getting closer.

Paid 285 Euro.

YoyoTrucco
So it seems that there is a good chance for you, as the seat availability on your flight looks like mine. ^

gnaget
I am not sure that this info helps you to predict your possibility to get upgraded. But keep eye on the seat availability on your flight.


fqtvcph Jul 30, 12 8:41 am


Originally Posted by gnaget (Post 19025842)
Wow, I checked your seatmap (Aug 3) and it's empty in M class. Everything from row 33 and back in the center section is unoccupied except one!

p.s. Once you request OT then you can't cancel the request?

You looked at the wrong seat map. My flight is 1st August. It was not busy in M, but it suddenly got pretty crowded in the end of last week on seat map. (Expert flyer) Generally I would say that you should not consider empty seats on seat map as empty. My impression is that many group bookings and cheap tickets sold in Japan don't have preassigned seats. So seat availability shows a better picture, SAS often oversell M-class seats.

As for cancellation of OT-upgrade requests, I have never found out if it is possible to cancel. But I looks impossible as I have never found out how to do it on their website.

gnaget Jul 31, 12 11:12 am

Sorry, must have been tired. Divided by 12 instead of 24 to estimate number of days. My flight now has increased availability in rock-bottom T class (9). It was T2 when I booked it a few weeks ago. My outbound now 5.5 days out only shows 6 occupied seats in C!


Originally Posted by fqtvcph (Post 19026782)
You looked at the wrong seat map. My flight is 1st August. It was not busy in M, but it suddenly got pretty crowded in the end of last week on seat map. (Expert flyer) Generally I would say that you should not consider empty seats on seat map as empty. My impression is that many group bookings and cheap tickets sold in Japan don't have preassigned seats. So seat availability shows a better picture, SAS often oversell M-class seats.

As for cancellation of OT-upgrade requests, I have never found out if it is possible to cancel. But I looks impossible as I have never found out how to do it on their website.


YoyoTrucco Jul 31, 12 6:34 pm

Thanks to A380*G and fqtvcph for the replies.

Can anyone explain why the flight (SK926 on 8/2/12) is unavailable on ExpertFlyer. Getting close and just trying to see what's left in the buckets.

Are flights typically removed as departure approaches?

Thanks again.

Aldo B Jul 31, 12 7:08 pm


Originally Posted by gnaget (Post 19002842)
Ideally I would have taken a chance on NRT-CPH in about 10 days but OT is not available; it seems that they don't offer it in this direction. (What's your experience?)

I have a 2/2 record on C upgrade with OT on CPH-NRT. But both times C upgrade was not available on the outbound NRT-CPH leg (used points in the end).

YoyoTrucco Jul 31, 12 8:02 pm

Upgraded!


Originally Posted by YoyoTrucco (Post 19036855)
Thanks to A380*G and fqtvcph for the replies.

Can anyone explain why the flight (SK926 on 8/2/12) is unavailable on ExpertFlyer. Getting close and just trying to see what's left in the buckets.

Are flights typically removed as departure approaches?

Thanks again.


joemume Aug 1, 12 12:37 am


Originally Posted by YoyoTrucco (Post 19036855)
Thanks to A380*G and fqtvcph for the replies.

Can anyone explain why the flight (SK926 on 8/2/12) is unavailable on ExpertFlyer. Getting close and just trying to see what's left in the buckets.

Are flights typically removed as departure approaches?

Thanks again.

I think the flight manager generally closes the flight about 24 hours prior to take off. At least that's my experience. Then Expert Flyer and all other tools will show 0 availability in all classes.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:54 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.