FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1041467-optiontown-com-paid-upgrades-sas.html)

Koc Jun 11, 12 2:52 pm


Originally Posted by SusanDK (Post 18734708)
Just wanted to report back on the data points for future searchers, that it was stated by a GA that OT will not clear unless there is an oversold situation.

True, but not consistent. Upgrades have been reported with both M and Y open.

SusanDK Jun 11, 12 6:47 pm


Originally Posted by gnaget (Post 18734752)
Please don't use Y class for economy since that's Eco Extra in SAS parlance. Amadeus based airlines like SAS and LH generally use M class for eco.

Sorry - edited!

agehall Jun 12, 12 1:52 pm


Originally Posted by SusanDK (Post 18734708)
She stated that the flight was not oversold in M which is the reason OT did not clear.

I'm sorry to say so, but there are few places (with the exception of a few AF outstations) where I've been lied to as much as in CPH. I'm not even sure I believe the GA knew what OT is.

And if this was the case, we would have figured it out a long time ago. Of course the chances are higher if the flight is oversold, but it isn't the only factor.

bjerregaard Jun 12, 12 2:55 pm

ss

Originally Posted by agehall (Post 18744536)
I'm sorry to say so, but there are few places (with the exception of a few AF outstations) where I've been lied to as much as in CPH. I'm not even sure I believe the GA knew what OT is.

And if this was the case, we would have figured it out a long time ago. Of course the chances are higher if the flight is oversold, but it isn't the only factor.

Maybe, but I also have to say, that when I have been upgraded via OT, from my experience, the flights have been full in M. How do I know? from a small walk down the airplane.

But okay sh..it happens. I was on the plane BKK-CPH, and had tried to upgrade with points to Y+. It was not possible, and a lot of people had tried to do the same.
Many in M was annoyed, when they saw there was two seats empty left in Y+. I asked one of the FA why it was empty when I had asked to use points. The answer was that many had tried, but Y+ was full before departure. The passengers did not show-up.

SusanDK Jun 13, 12 4:11 am


Originally Posted by agehall (Post 18744536)
I'm not even sure I believe the GA knew what OT is.

The agent at check-in for certain didn't have a clue what OT was, even when I explained that it was defined on SK's website as a paid upgrade option. But the GA appeared to be well aware of what I was referring to, also knowing the difference between OT upgrades and when SK offers upgrades for cash themselves at the gate.

Susan

gnaget Jul 7, 12 11:59 am

Can people with OT experience comment on the following. I am flying NRT-CPH-NRT, which I think is a difficult route because the planes are rather empty in M class (and other classes).

Checking the OT site after purchase. For my Eco Extra booking NRT-CPH the flight has a reasonable load in M with only expensive booking classes left. But Y to C not on offer from OT. Y and C are empty.

On the other hand the return from CPH where I am booked in eco and the flight is empty in all classes, OT offers the option to sign up for Y and C upgrades. But in reality chance are close to nil in this case unless the flight starts to fill up later?

slowtrotter Jul 8, 12 3:04 pm

Anyone with experiences of upgrading on shorthaul? Flying LHR - CPH on a youth fare, so not sure if that would even be possible.

tourist Jul 8, 12 5:00 pm

No, it's not possible. OptionTown upgrades are offered only for SK long-haul flights. (And for Blue1 shorter flights.)

Welcome to FT!

ClaesJ Jul 11, 12 9:21 am

Just to weigh in on the issue if M has to be oversold for OT upgrades to clear - I am fairly sure that the answer is no (speaking from own experience on several occasions). The GA might have confused this with the cash upgrades sometimes offered at the airport in EWR and other stations in the summer, when M is full and Y and C are often quite empty.

raunow Jul 16, 12 5:23 am

M->Y Optiontown upgrade cleared this morning for CPH-IAD in 72+ hours. No email yet, but showed on Checkmytrip.com.

Price: EUR142

Availability at this moment:
A/0 C/8 D/8 J/7 Z/0 R/0 Y/8 S/7 B/0 E/7 M/7 H/7 Q/7 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 G/0 N/0

(so still seats for sale in all classes)

flyingfkb Jul 16, 12 7:57 am

I registered for Optiontown and selected an upgrade on CPH-NRT from economy to economy extra. For the NRT-CPH there was no upgrade option offered.

Can this change? For example if I check back in a couple of weeks might they offer an upgrade option?

gnaget Jul 16, 12 1:28 pm


Originally Posted by caspritz78 (Post 18938552)
I registered for Optiontown and selected an upgrade on CPG-NRT from economy to economy extra. For the NRT-CPG there was no upgrade option offered.

Can this change? For example if I check back in a couple of weeks might they offer an upgrade option?

I also booked a flight where NRT-CPH is unavailable while CPH-NRT allows listing for OT upgrade. Despite the fact that NRT-CPH appears to have more seats booked. In my case, I booked Extra and looking for upgrade to C.

I think this has to do with the route. I discussed in another thread how they have weight issues due to cargo for NRT-CPH and the plane is rarely full of passengers. The main trigger for OT is a chance of oversell in M.

Please let us know if you are successful on CPH-NRT and the load was on the flight.

Dimling Jul 17, 12 2:48 am


Originally Posted by gnaget (Post 18940824)
I also booked a flight where NRT-CPH is unavailable while CPH-NRT allows listing for OT upgrade. Despite the fact that NRT-CPH appears to have more seats booked. In my case, I booked Extra and looking for upgrade to C.

I think this has to do with the route. I discussed in another thread how they have weight issues due to cargo for NRT-CPH and the plane is rarely full of passengers. The main trigger for OT is a chance of oversell in M.

Please let us know if you are successful on CPH-NRT and the load was on the flight.

Just returned from NRT after a Mileage Run CPH-NRT, this weekend. Flew out Thursday afternoon and return monday noon.

Did the OptionTown "upgrade" as always on longhaul flights and had the same exprience. CPH-NRT availiable, NRT-CPH not available. Signed up for CPH-NRT both classes, but it didn't go through. I got the mail like 12 hours before departure time.
There were available seats on all three classes both ways

Karsten

glasnost7 Jul 24, 12 5:19 am

I have an inherent distrust of non-transparent systems that take or borrow my money. If you didn't guess, I got an email last night saying that my IAD-CPH flight wouldn't be upgraded from Y to C.

I watched C fill up and Y empty somewhat yesterday on ExpertFlyer, but we weren't among those upgraded. Was it because our UA/*A status hadn't yet attached to our PNR? Should we have submitted the request sooner and paid up earlier? According to them, perhaps I should've used OT more. So perhaps my OT 'status' wasn't high enough?

At least with United I can see the upgrade list and have an idea of how it's supposed to work. But neither Star Alliance upgrade or OT worked for what--until yesterday--was a fairly empty biz cabin. :td: Next time, I'll earn the interest on my money instead of OT.

gnaget Jul 24, 12 10:55 pm


Originally Posted by glasnost7 (Post 18990940)
I have an inherent distrust of non-transparent systems that take or borrow my money. If you didn't guess, I got an email last night saying that my IAD-CPH flight wouldn't be upgraded from Y to C.

I watched C fill up and Y empty somewhat yesterday on ExpertFlyer, but we weren't among those upgraded. Was it because our UA/*A status hadn't yet attached to our PNR? Should we have submitted the request sooner and paid up earlier? According to them, perhaps I should've used OT more. So perhaps my OT 'status' wasn't high enough?

At least with United I can see the upgrade list and have an idea of how it's supposed to work. But neither Star Alliance upgrade or OT worked for what--until yesterday--was a fairly empty biz cabin. :td: Next time, I'll earn the interest on my money instead of OT.

I really don't think Optiontown has any idea about EBG or *G status. I would guess that they prioritize upgrades in order received or possibly the payment amount -- if it changes over time, although I suspect the early offers would be higher. The only time that I nearly used OT was when I had put in my email address (not paid the fee or amount upfront) and then I got an offer for an upgrade at a reduced price a few days before departure. At that point I had decided to still use points because of expiration concerns.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:10 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.