FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1041467-optiontown-com-paid-upgrades-sas.html)

FlyerTalker01565 Dec 20, 2015 6:55 am

Originally Posted by SarahWW (Post 25884661)

I was personally terrified the flight would be cancelled and he would not be able to be rebooked in business because of the more crowded flights to follow.

Yes, imagine the utter horror of flying coach like the peasants. In between ISIS, hunger and Orwellian surveillance, why save the drama when you're faced with having a confirmed business class seat.

jfidler Dec 20, 2015 10:08 pm

Just paid for OT on my IAD-CPH-IAD flights next month. I'm booked in Premium Eco, and it was $301 on IAD-CPH for C, and $287 for CPH-IAD. According to SK's site, the IAD-CPH leg is on a A330 (so definitely upgraded cabin), while CPH-IAD is on a A340 (so.. 2/6 chance of upgraded I think it is?).

I wonder if OT pricing is higher on the A330 leg since it's a better product -- upgraded cabin is guaranteed.

w0r1dtrave1er Dec 23, 2015 1:27 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin (Post 25892024)
Yes, imagine the utter horror of flying coach like the peasants. In between ISIS, hunger and Orwellian surveillance, why save the drama when you're faced with having a confirmed business class seat.

nailed it. terrified of coach? Buy a biz ticket... problem solved

Salomon82 Dec 29, 2015 3:27 pm

For your reference:

ZRH - CPH and CPH - ORD
Signed up on optiontown a bit more than a week before departure, selected both Plus and Business.
Exactly 72h before departure SK602 ZRH - CPH (Jan 1st) was upgraded to Plus for $45 and SK943 CPH-ORD (Jan 1st) was upgraded to Business for $467 (from cheapest economy booking class).
Well worth the money considering I need the status miles, 150% on TK / 200% on A3 rather than 25% without the upgrade.

Does anyone have the load for these flights? I'm just interested in OT's strategy as I sincerely doubt that Y is overbooked (departure is Jan 1st...).

fassy Dec 29, 2015 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Salomon82 (Post 25932197)
For your reference:

ZRH - CPH and CPH - ORD
Signed up on optiontown a bit more than a week before departure, selected both Plus and Business.
Exactly 72h before departure SK602 ZRH - CPH (Jan 1st) was upgraded to Plus for $45 and SK943 CPH-ORD (Jan 1st) was upgraded to Business for $467 (from cheapest economy booking class).
Well worth the money considering I need the status miles, 150% on TK / 200% on A3 rather than 25% without the upgrade.

Does anyone have the load for these flights? I'm just interested in OT's strategy as I sincerely doubt that Y is overbooked (departure is Jan 1st...).

is it the first time you use OT? To my experience there is a first timer bonus getting upgrades even though the flight is not overbooked.

duvin Dec 30, 2015 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Salomon82 (Post 25932197)
For your reference:

ZRH - CPH and CPH - ORD

Probably hard to find someone with the loads, but here is the availability

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:

Flight Availability Search
Departing ZRH on 01/01/16 12:00 AM for CPH
Flying SK 
Direct/Non-Stop Only

Frequency
Flight        Stops  Depart            Arrive            Aircraft  Reliability    Available Classes
0 Connections
SK (LX) 3502  0      ZRH                CPH                319      Daily          C4 D0 J0 Z0 Y4 S4 B0 P0 A0 E4 M4 H0 Q0 W0 V0 U0 K0 L0 T0 O0
                    01/01/16 7:05 AM  01/01/16 9:00 AM            90% / 8m

0 Connections
SK 602        0      ZRH                CPH                319      M,T,W,Th,F,Sa  C9 D9 Z9 R9 J9 Y9 S9 B9 P0 A0 E9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 W0 U0 K4 L0 T0 O0 G9 N9
                    01/01/16 10:20 AM  01/01/16 12:05 PM            89% / 36m

0 Connections
SK (LX) 3504  0      ZRH                CPH                319      Daily          C4 D0 J0 Z0 Y4 S4 B0 P0 A0 E4 M4 H0 Q0 W0 V0 U0 K0 L0 T0 O0
                    01/01/16 12:20 PM  01/01/16 2:05 PM            79% / 13m

0 Connections
SK (LX) 3506  0      ZRH                CPH                319      Daily          C4 D0 J0 Z0 Y4 S4 B0 P0 A0 E4 M4 H0 Q0 W0 V0 U0 K0 L0 T0 O0
                    01/01/16 5:25 PM  01/01/16 7:15 PM            71% / 15m

0 Connections
SK 610        0      ZRH                CPH                319      Su,M,T,W,Th,F  C9 D9 Z9 R9 J9 Y9 S0 B0 P0 A0 E9 M0 H0 Q0 V9 W0 U0 K7 L0 T0 O0 G9 N9
                    01/01/16 8:30 PM  01/01/16 10:15 PM            92% / 8m

and

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:

Flight Availability Search
Departing CPH on 01/01/16 12:00 AM for ORD
Flying SK 
Direct/Non-Stop Only

Frequency
Flight        Stops  Depart            Arrive            Aircraft  Reliability    Available Classes
0 Connections
SK 943        0      CPH                ORD                343      Daily          C9 D9 Z9 R0 J0 Y1 S1 B1 P1 A0 E0 M0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 O0 G0 N0
                    01/01/16 3:40 PM  01/01/16 6:10 PM            75% / 47m

Salomon82 Dec 30, 2015 10:12 am

Originally Posted by fassy (Post 25932601)
is it the first time you use OT? To my experience there is a first timer bonus getting upgrades even though the flight is not overbooked.

Yeah, that's probably it: first-time user and I didn't have to pay the non-refundable OT fee.

Originally Posted by duvin (Post 25935475)
Probably hard to find someone with the loads, but here is the availability

thanks!

br2k Jan 5, 2016 4:47 am

This probably has been answered before - but: if I upgrade at the airport from go to plus using a paid upgrade, does my booking class actually go to Y (the receipt and new boarding passes say so) and would mileage accrual change accordingly?

oliver2002 Jan 5, 2016 5:10 am

Originally Posted by br2k (Post 25964248)
This probably has been answered before - but: if I upgrade at the airport from go to plus using a paid upgrade, does my booking class actually go to Y (the receipt and new boarding passes say so) and would mileage accrual change accordingly?

Read the fine print in the wiki above: the ticket is reissued with a new booking class (BK) and becomes upgradable and earns the miles of the new BK.

br2k Jan 5, 2016 6:14 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 25964314)
Read the fine print in the wiki above: the ticket is reissued with a new booking class (BK) and becomes upgradable and earns the miles of the new BK.

Oops, I opened the thread on mobile and did not see the wiki. Thank you for the information - that's good news ;)

BTW, I was following optiontown upgrade options right up to the flight and paying at the airport turned out to be about 10-15% cheaper (though I suppose there is a risk airport upgrade will not be possible)

Smokingbread Jan 5, 2016 7:17 am

Originally Posted by br2k (Post 25964519)
BTW, I was following optiontown upgrade options right up to the flight and paying at the airport turned out to be about 10-15% cheaper (though I suppose there is a risk airport upgrade will not be possible)

But there is no guarantee for getting the Optiontown upgrade either... And the cash upgrade is not giving you the extra points, so I would always prefer OT :-)

br2k Jan 5, 2016 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Smokingbread (Post 25964786)
But there is no guarantee for getting the Optiontown upgrade either... And the cash upgrade is not giving you the extra points, so I would always prefer OT :-)

Wait, so the ticket is not reissued with the new fare class if I do a cash upgrade?
I guess I'll just wait and see how it posts.

Smokingbread Jan 5, 2016 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by br2k (Post 25966324)
Wait, so the ticket is not reissued with the new fare class if I do a cash upgrade?
I guess I'll just wait and see how it posts.

Haven't tested the cash upgrade myself, but according to many other reports you should expect the original booking class, but can sometimes be lucky to retro-claim the new booking class. There have been similar discussions in other forums about the topic, and their conclusions are as above.
Yes, please report the your outcome if you choose to try the cash option :-)

fassy Jan 7, 2016 10:54 am

At LH group cash upgrades at check-in do not change the booking class. I assume it is the same at SAS, it's probably to late for reissuing the ticket that short before departure? Same happens with OT when the upgrade clears last minute - you will get the points for the original booking class and you have to retro claim the additional points.

FlyingMoose Jan 11, 2016 6:10 am

Interesting course of events for my wife's ticket on our trip to ORD later this week. We signed her Plus ticket up for OT and points upgrade, the OT upgrade was declined but a few hours later she got an email that she received a complimentary upgrade instead.

It is strange to see that SK neither wants our points or our money when they have the choice. We appreciate the "free" upgrade and the fact the OT money will be reimbursed but I don't understand this business practice.

Smokingbread Jan 12, 2016 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Smokingbread (Post 25968067)
Haven't tested the cash upgrade myself, but according to many other reports you should expect the original booking class, but can sometimes be lucky to retro-claim the new booking class. There have been similar discussions in other forums about the topic, and their conclusions are as above.
Yes, please report the your outcome if you choose to try the cash option :-)

I was just checking the Earn chart at
http://www.flysas.com/eurobonus/poin...s-charts/#tab4

At the bottom under the restrictions, it's clear that you not will earn the extra points when doing a cash upgrade:

Restrictions:
• If you buy an upgrade at gate for money; the original class booked applies for point earnings.

manda99 Jan 12, 2016 12:15 pm

First time SAS flyer, flying ORD-ARN (overnight flight, of course) and then back CPH-ORD. It's me and a 12 year old. We have SAS Go booked right now. Looked at expertflyer and the premium cabins seem pretty wide open (2 months out). I'm mostly worried about being comfortable on the flight there when I'm trying to sleep - but, really, I want to always be comfortable. ;)

It's eur 219 to upgrade to Plus, eur 476 to Business (strange that it quotes in Euros?). I'm not willing to pay Business upgrade x4, but I would be willing to pay Plus x4. So would you pay to fly Business outbound for excellent sleeping and stick with Go back or would you pay for Plus both directions?

If you were me, what would you do?

manda99 Jan 12, 2016 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by manda99 (Post 26006635)
First time SAS flyer, flying ORD-ARN (overnight flight, of course) and then back CPH-ORD. It's me and a 12 year old. We have SAS Go booked right now. Looked at expertflyer and the premium cabins seem pretty wide open (2 months out). I'm mostly worried about being comfortable on the flight there when I'm trying to sleep - but, really, I want to always be comfortable. ;)

It's eur 219 to upgrade to Plus, eur 476 to Business (strange that it quotes in Euros?). I'm not willing to pay Business upgrade x4, but I would be willing to pay Plus x4. So would you pay to fly Business outbound for excellent sleeping and stick with Go back or would you pay for Plus both directions?

Hmm. I switched the website so it knew I was in the US and the dollar quotes was quite a bit more than the numbers in Euros -- two passengers upgraded to plus outbound was EUR 438 (~$477), but in USD, they quoted me $255 pp for a total of $510. I'll book in Euro, thanks.

w0r1dtrave1er Jan 13, 2016 2:40 am

I would put it all to biz on the outbound. Getting semi-decent sleep on a red-eye means a lot to me, as it affects the first few days at my eastbound destination. The new SAS go on the return (daytime flight for you) is pretty good.

EDIT: actually that depends on the day, as I currently have a uTO to biz pending for ORD-ARN next weekend, I don't want any competitors! Just kidding. Seriously tho, for me personally, all things being equal I would prefer BIZ and GO to PLUS and PLUS

pdarling00 Jan 13, 2016 3:47 am

Changed flight date = expensive fees to OptionTown

I just had a bad experience with OptionTown. I frequently fly CPH-->SFO for work, and use OptionTown to try for a C upgrade every time. I just found out I needed to change my flight dates for an upcoming trip, and OptionTown charged me more than 100 EUR to change the dates in their system. The worst part is they said I had no choice but to pay extra. If I didn't make the additional payment, I would lose my original payment and not have any chance of an upgrade. They also said that the additional 100+ EUR would not be refunded if I don't get the upgrades on the new dates.

It's a pity because I like OptionTown and have used it a lot (with a bit less than 50% success rate). But this is an extremely poor customer experience and it makes me unlikely to use OptionTown again. Especially when I'm flying for business and I don't fully control my schedule. Anyone have similar experiences?

FT Guest xyzpdq Jan 13, 2016 4:53 am

Originally Posted by manda99 (Post 26006635)

If it is a choice I would sign up for both Plus and Biz on the outbound (good sleep, arrive well rested for your time in Scandinavia, etc). Back is a day flight and you can better cope with the "economy comfort".

Do note that if you first sign up for one leg - and later for the return - the price will go up.

FlyingMoose Jan 13, 2016 9:34 am

If you're worried about sleeping I'd spend $15 on sleeping aids rather than 2x 200+ EUR for the chance of getting an upgrade.

manda99 Jan 13, 2016 10:27 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose (Post 26011863)
If you're worried about sleeping I'd spend $15 on sleeping aids rather than 2x 200+ EUR for the chance of getting an upgrade.

I'll have earplugs, a blanket, and an eye mask - but when traveling with my child (without my husband), I don't like to take any medications to knock me out since I need to be able to parent. Not that I expect any problems - he is 12 after all - but still.

manda99 Jan 13, 2016 10:29 am

Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er (Post 26010358)
I would put it all to biz on the outbound. Getting semi-decent sleep on a red-eye means a lot to me, as it affects the first few days at my eastbound destination. The new SAS go on the return (daytime flight for you) is pretty good.

EDIT: actually that depends on the day, as I currently have a uTO to biz pending for ORD-ARN next weekend, I don't want any competitors! Just kidding. Seriously tho, for me personally, all things being equal I would prefer BIZ and GO to PLUS and PLUS

I'm not going until Easter break. :D

eurotexan Jan 14, 2016 10:41 am

Originally Posted by fassy (Post 25978754)
At LH group cash upgrades at check-in do not change the booking class. I assume it is the same at SAS, it's probably to late for reissuing the ticket that short before departure? Same happens with OT when the upgrade clears last minute - you will get the points for the original booking class and you have to retro claim the additional points.

I put together a detailed post about my retro-claim to Aegean when the SAS OT upgrade cleared late. I was successful but took a lot of chasing.

expressboy Jan 17, 2016 10:29 pm

How long should I wait for an upgrade decision before checking in? It is 12 hrs to my flight.

fassy Jan 18, 2016 1:55 am

Originally Posted by expressboy (Post 26035380)
How long should I wait for an upgrade decision before checking in? It is 12 hrs to my flight.

T-4

expressboy Jan 18, 2016 6:59 am

Originally Posted by fassy (Post 26035820)
T-4

Perfect. Thanks.

w0r1dtrave1er Jan 19, 2016 12:22 am

throughout this thread there are tips about long-haul upgrades, both to Plus and Biz. Just a few posts above is about the time to checkin for example. Some of you have a lot of experience with OT. Is it worth it to edit the wiki with tips?

MrChrisC Jan 20, 2016 11:01 am

Hi,

Sorry in advance if this has been asked before.

I recently used OT to attempt upgrade on my upcoming ARN-HKG from Go to Plus for around 200 Eurs. At the time, Plus upgrade was showing as 200eurs and Business was showing as 450eurs.
I've just checked OT again and it now lists business as around 250Euros.

Can I assume that the price is just an add-on from the original Plus price, and not a sudden slash in price for Business class? In other words, if I do pay the 250 and ultimately get upgraded to business, will I get a refund for the original money I paid for Plus, or is the business class upgrade price the combined price of the original amount + the now additional price?

Thanks in advance! :)

FlyingMoose Jan 20, 2016 11:08 am

It's the difference between what you already paid and the next cabin. Since you can request upgrades for both cabins, it allows you to increase your odds. Best case you get business, second best you get plus, worst case you get neither and a refund minus sign-up fee.

MrChrisC Jan 21, 2016 3:37 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose (Post 26050210)
It's the difference between what you already paid and the next cabin. Since you can request upgrades for both cabins, it allows you to increase your odds. Best case you get business, second best you get plus, worst case you get neither and a refund minus sign-up fee.

Massive thanks for the quick response! :D

w0r1dtrave1er Jan 22, 2016 4:29 pm

My first try at OT. Paid for Go->Biz on SK946. Under 72 hours. No email. No notificatoin from MyFlights. 15/24 biz seats assigned. C9 D9 R0 J0 Y9 S9 B0 P0 A0 E9

Should I regret that I didn't tick the plus box and shot for moon?

fassy Jan 23, 2016 4:12 am

Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er (Post 26064429)
Should I regret that I didn't tick the plus box and shot for moon?

If you wanted to get business class or nothing... no. If you just wanted to get out of the eco/GO cabin... yes.

You did not post the GO loads, might be that even the Plus upgrade would have been denied since the flight is not full.

w0r1dtrave1er Jan 23, 2016 6:55 am

Just got the email. Denied. That's a bummer. Maybe I'll pay the $250 for plus.

H.J.Simpson Jan 25, 2016 3:53 am

Flew ARN-HKG last week. Applied for optiontown from Y to C. Denied.
There were ten seats available for C upgrades on day of departure. Bought upgrade instead for 2499 SEK. That was cheaper than the Optiontown. Departed with three empty seats. M and Y had many empty seats.

Flying back next week. Similar situation. C is more than half full (based on seat assignments and expertflyer); M and Y similar empty.
I expect a denial from Optiontown. The question is then, does anyone know the cash price for upgrading Y to C at HKG airport?

Thanks HJ

FlyingMoose Jan 25, 2016 4:11 am

I've noticed a strong increase in rejected OT requests recently despite wide availability in premium cabins.

On a recent trip my wife's OT was denied while there where 6 empty C seats. Plus was full and people where trying to upgrade from Coach to Plus with points but where told there was no availability. SK's upgrade strategy makes no sense but it doesn't seem like they particularly want to support OT, even less with upgrades being sold for cash which in return doesn't favour OT's case. Unfortunately OT keeps stating that the more you use it the higher your chances but this doesn't seem to stand, or at least in the past few months seems to have the opposite effect.

H.J.Simpson Jan 25, 2016 5:03 am

Maybe SAS should consider a similar approach as LH with their new upgrade project. A fixed price (a little bit high), but it is then confirmed.

Just to give a little warning. When I tried to upgrade using cash from ARN, I spoke to the persons in the lounge. They can not do anything, until the service center (open 2,5h before departure) give them a go-ahead. That requires them to call the service center in F-pier. The lounge staff was very helpful and did try to call. But the persons sitting at the service center was not helpful and gave them a story of problems with cash upgrade.
Impatiently I monitored the seatmap and saw that more and more C seats got assigned. I.e. upgrading was being processed.

Although the staff told me to sit down an relax, I decided to go to the service center at the f-pier. That was a good decision. Upgrades was being processed and I got there and got the cash upgrade immediately. I asked why they did not give the lounge the possibility and they just said "don't know" and continued talking to the colleagues.

w0r1dtrave1er Jan 27, 2016 2:23 am

I had a good experience with the staff at the F-pier service center. It was a daytime flight and we discussed upgrade costs. 15k for Plus and 40k for biz. Then I asked about cash. 1999sek for Plus seemed like a good deal for me, and I was placed in bulkhead aisle with the middle seat empty. I was awake the whole flight and generally enjoyed it. I found the service desk helpful and friendly, of course I spoke only english (mother tongue) instead of showing off my immigrant Swedish.

On the return, with my OT Go->Biz denied, I managed to get the middle section of row 50 all to myself. With four seats to spread out across, I went right to sleep upon take-off and woke up with 1:19 remaining in the flight. I call it "poor man's biz" because I had a lie-flat in Go.

livious Jan 30, 2016 2:49 pm

Was upgraded on both legs of a ARN-ALC-ARN direct turn MR. Email came around 48 hours before the flights. Price was around 35€ per leg, which was around the difference between Plus and Go when I booked in November.

ARN-ALC was full in Plus, looked pretty full in Go. ALC-ARN was 50% full in Plus, no idea in Go.