Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 8, 15, 1:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: oliver2002
Wiki Link
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SASís intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 12, 12, 2:28 am

Programs: EBS
Osl-Ewr

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
It would further help if everyone posts their (approximate?) UTO pricing as well, so we could get an idea of what each route is being quoted at...
Economy Extra - $ 202
Business - $ 449
Old Jan 12, 12, 11:05 am

Not Upgraded

Originally Posted by HenrikP View Post
Signed up for UTo from Oslo to Newark tomorrow. Hoping I will recive an e-mail soon

A0 C8 D8 J8 Z0 Y9 S9 B0 E9 M9 H9 Q9 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G9
Just received an e-mail saying that they were not able to upgrade me. Not surprising since coach seems to be wide open.

So then I have to ask them to upgrade me for points at the gate. Just to bad I will not reach EBG because of this. But this is the first time I have not been upgraded. I have been upgraded 3 times before.
Old Jan 12, 12, 11:54 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Just received an e-mail saying that they were not able to upgrade me. Not surprising since coach seems to be wide open.
Interesting - they're then basically making you pay for first dibs at an op-up...otherwise forget it, eh??

However, you could also try seeing if they let you buy-up to biz?
Old Jan 12, 12, 1:59 pm

Interesting - they're then basically making you pay for first dibs at an op-up...otherwise forget it, eh??

However, you could also try seeing if they let you buy-up to biz?
When I have been upgraded before, coach has been pretty full. So as others here have pointed out, it seems that I am only getting upgraded if SAS overbook coach.

I am gone ask to pay for an upgrade. But I do not think they will let me pay with money since I have a restricted economy ticket. Tried to call SAS in Norway to see if I could pay my way up to biz, but they said no. And then I called SAS in USA, and they said it would cost me 4000$ to upgrade. And I do not think it is worth it.

So I am gone ask tomorrow if it is possible to pay myself up to Y. But I properly have to use points.
Old Jan 16, 12, 4:18 am

Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR
Mmm. No luck this time with the OTU (Y+ to C) for my trip to Denmark. That means I've gone from 4 out of 6 last November (not too bad) to 4 out of 9 (not too good) as of today ...

Looking at current availability there appear to be plenty of seats still in all cabins (e.g. D9, S9, H9) so this makes sense. I wonder though what is going to happen come April (or whenever it is) when they start up the extra flights to Shanghai - how much demand is there for the Scandinavia-China route...?
Old Jan 17, 12, 3:32 am

Programs: EBG, Club Carlson Gold, Frequent Flyer, SPG, Gold Points
I was trying to find out how upgrades work if you are travelling with children, under 2 year old?

Optiontown-siten FAQ's do not help that much
Old Jan 17, 12, 11:04 am

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines [email protected], Club Carlson
Just received an e-mail saying that they were not able to upgrade me
I have the same negative experience. Optiontown couldn't upgrade ARN-EWR Jan.15, 2012 for two passengers. Had to upgrade using points. BTW Lounge Dragoness at ARN, SAS Scandinavian Lounge was able to perform this upgrade, I just needed later to sign confirmation at the gate.

Has anybody been lucky with UTo upgrades this year (2012) on routes from Scandinavia to US, like ARN-EWR, and/or back?
Old Jan 17, 12, 6:37 pm

Programs: EBG, FBG, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by hbush View Post
I have the same negative experience. Optiontown couldn't upgrade ARN-EWR Jan.15, 2012 for two passengers. Had to upgrade using points. BTW Lounge Dragoness at ARN, SAS Scandinavian Lounge was able to perform this upgrade, I just needed later to sign confirmation at the gate.

Has anybody been lucky with UTo upgrades this year (2012) on routes from Scandinavia to US, like ARN-EWR, and/or back?
I travelled with my friend (on different bookings) from CPH - EWR on January 7. I already had a C ticket, and he was upgraded to C with optiontown. After his upgrade was confirmed on checkmytrip.com two days before, I was able to change his seat on sas.no so we could sit together. The eco cabin was completely full.
Old Jan 18, 12, 12:29 pm

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
What is the latest word on points with SK for OT upgrades?

I just got confirmation from lowest (O) to E+ on CPH-HEL (49Ä) and of course would like to have the E+ points.

BTW the original ticket was extra cheap (4 European legs for 120Ä all in) The other 3 legs are "OT not available"
Old Jan 18, 12, 10:44 pm

Programs: EBG, FBG, HHonors Gold
Thumbs up OptionTown success rate

I have used UTO 12 times so far with an 66% success rate:

It gave me the gold card for a decent price.
Old Jan 20, 12, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
What is the latest word on points with SK for OT upgrades?
To answer myself:

"Pay only a nominal fee when you have booked an Economy class ticket with Blue1 and get upgraded to Blue1 Premium, enjoy the comfort of Business class check in, Fast Track security check, Lounge access*, Meal and drinks**, 150% EuroBonus points and other Blue1 Premium benefits."

http://www.blue1.com/en/Other/Bookin...emium-upgrade/
Old Jan 20, 12, 5:19 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by NorPlay View Post
I have used UTO 12 times so far with an 66% success rate:

It gave me the gold card for a decent price.
Maybe we should also start listing fare basis/classes for more detailed info...but thanks for the great spreadsheet!

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
To answer myself:

"Pay only a nominal fee when you have booked an Economy class ticket with Blue1 and get upgraded to Blue1 Premium, enjoy the comfort of Business class check in, Fast Track security check, Lounge access*, Meal and drinks**, 150% EuroBonus points and other Blue1 Premium benefits."

http://www.blue1.com/en/Other/Bookin...emium-upgrade/
Is Blue1 considered SK or aren't they considered KF?

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Jan 20, 12 at 7:36 am
Old Jan 21, 12, 3:18 am

Maybe we should also start listing fare basis/classes for more detailed info...but thanks for the great spreadsheet!

Is Blue1 considered SK or aren't they considered KF?
Blue1 is of course KF, but for all practical reasons it can be considered as SK (IMO)
Old Jan 21, 12, 10:30 am

Programs: EB*G
Can anyone with a KVS help me check availability for 30th Jan PEK->CPH? I'm with economy (25% points) so want to upgrade, but don't know how likely the chance is to be upgraded if economy is not full...
Old Jan 21, 12, 10:41 am

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines [email protected], Club Carlson
Optiontown could not perform upgrades for both ARN-EWR Jan.15 and EWR-ARN Jan.22, for two persons. Request was both from Economy to Business or from Economy to Economy Extra. OK, it's gambling anyway

Interestingly on the flight ARN-EWR there still were several empty seats in Business even after bunch of people (including me and my daughter) upgraded for points. Go figure what a "complex business model" is behind such decisions...

Search this Thread