FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1041467-optiontown-com-paid-upgrades-sas.html)

HenrikP Jan 12, 12 2:28 am

Osl-Ewr
 

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy (Post 17798237)
It would further help if everyone posts their (approximate?) UTO pricing as well, so we could get an idea of what each route is being quoted at...

Economy Extra - $ 202
Business - $ 449

HenrikP Jan 12, 12 11:05 am

Not Upgraded
 

Originally Posted by HenrikP (Post 17798204)
Signed up for UTo from Oslo to Newark tomorrow. Hoping I will recive an e-mail soon :D


A0 C8 D8 J8 Z0 Y9 S9 B0 E9 M9 H9 Q9 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G9

Just received an e-mail saying that they were not able to upgrade me. Not surprising since coach seems to be wide open.

So then I have to ask them to upgrade me for points at the gate. Just to bad I will not reach EBG because of this. But this is the first time I have not been upgraded. I have been upgraded 3 times before.

SuperFlyBoy Jan 12, 12 11:54 am


Originally Posted by HenrikP (Post 17800566)
Just received an e-mail saying that they were not able to upgrade me. Not surprising since coach seems to be wide open.

Interesting - they're then basically making you pay for first dibs at an op-up...otherwise forget it, eh??

However, you could also try seeing if they let you buy-up to biz?

HenrikP Jan 12, 12 1:59 pm


Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy (Post 17801014)
Interesting - they're then basically making you pay for first dibs at an op-up...otherwise forget it, eh??

However, you could also try seeing if they let you buy-up to biz?

When I have been upgraded before, coach has been pretty full. So as others here have pointed out, it seems that I am only getting upgraded if SAS overbook coach.

I am gone ask to pay for an upgrade. But I do not think they will let me pay with money since I have a restricted economy ticket. Tried to call SAS in Norway to see if I could pay my way up to biz, but they said no. And then I called SAS in USA, and they said it would cost me 4000$ to upgrade. And I do not think it is worth it.

So I am gone ask tomorrow if it is possible to pay myself up to Y. But I properly have to use points.

GinFizz Jan 16, 12 4:18 am

Mmm. No luck this time with the OTU (Y+ to C) for my trip to Denmark. That means I've gone from 4 out of 6 last November (not too bad) to 4 out of 9 (not too good) as of today ...

Looking at current availability there appear to be plenty of seats still in all cabins (e.g. D9, S9, H9) so this makes sense. I wonder though what is going to happen come April (or whenever it is) when they start up the extra flights to Shanghai - how much demand is there for the Scandinavia-China route...?

*RTW* Jan 17, 12 3:32 am

I was trying to find out how upgrades work if you are travelling with children, under 2 year old?

Optiontown-siten FAQ's do not help that much

hbush Jan 17, 12 11:04 am


Originally Posted by HenrikP (Post 17800566)
Just received an e-mail saying that they were not able to upgrade me

I have the same negative experience. Optiontown couldn't upgrade ARN-EWR Jan.15, 2012 for two passengers. Had to upgrade using points. BTW Lounge Dragoness at ARN, SAS Scandinavian Lounge was able to perform this upgrade, I just needed later to sign confirmation at the gate.

Has anybody been lucky with UTo upgrades this year (2012) on routes from Scandinavia to US, like ARN-EWR, and/or back?

NorPlay Jan 17, 12 6:37 pm


Originally Posted by hbush (Post 17830558)
I have the same negative experience. Optiontown couldn't upgrade ARN-EWR Jan.15, 2012 for two passengers. Had to upgrade using points. BTW Lounge Dragoness at ARN, SAS Scandinavian Lounge was able to perform this upgrade, I just needed later to sign confirmation at the gate.

Has anybody been lucky with UTo upgrades this year (2012) on routes from Scandinavia to US, like ARN-EWR, and/or back?

I travelled with my friend (on different bookings) from CPH - EWR on January 7. I already had a C ticket, and he was upgraded to C with optiontown. After his upgrade was confirmed on checkmytrip.com two days before, I was able to change his seat on sas.no so we could sit together. The eco cabin was completely full.

WilcoRoger Jan 18, 12 12:29 pm

What is the latest word on points with SK for OT upgrades?

I just got confirmation from lowest (O) to E+ on CPH-HEL (49) and of course would like to have the E+ points.

BTW the original ticket was extra cheap (4 European legs for 120 all in) The other 3 legs are "OT not available"

NorPlay Jan 18, 12 10:44 pm

OptionTown success rate
 
I have used UTO 12 times so far with an 66% success rate:

https://public.blu.livefilestore.com...des.JPG?psid=1

It gave me the gold card for a decent price.

WilcoRoger Jan 20, 12 4:30 am


Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 17838531)
What is the latest word on points with SK for OT upgrades?

To answer myself:

"Pay only a nominal fee when you have booked an Economy class ticket with Blue1 and get upgraded to Blue1 Premium, enjoy the comfort of Business class check in, Fast Track security check, Lounge access*, Meal and drinks**, 150% EuroBonus points and other Blue1 Premium benefits."

http://www.blue1.com/en/Other/Bookin...emium-upgrade/

SuperFlyBoy Jan 20, 12 5:19 am


Originally Posted by NorPlay (Post 17842301)
I have used UTO 12 times so far with an 66% success rate:

It gave me the gold card for a decent price.

Maybe we should also start listing fare basis/classes for more detailed info...but thanks for the great spreadsheet!


Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 17850367)
To answer myself:

"Pay only a nominal fee when you have booked an Economy class ticket with Blue1 and get upgraded to Blue1 Premium, enjoy the comfort of Business class check in, Fast Track security check, Lounge access*, Meal and drinks**, 150% EuroBonus points and other Blue1 Premium benefits."

http://www.blue1.com/en/Other/Bookin...emium-upgrade/

Is Blue1 considered SK or aren't they considered KF?

WilcoRoger Jan 21, 12 3:18 am


Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy (Post 17850511)
Maybe we should also start listing fare basis/classes for more detailed info...but thanks for the great spreadsheet!

Is Blue1 considered SK or aren't they considered KF?

Blue1 is of course KF, but for all practical reasons it can be considered as SK (IMO)

kezhou Jan 21, 12 10:30 am

Can anyone with a KVS help me check availability for 30th Jan PEK->CPH? I'm with economy (25% points) so want to upgrade, but don't know how likely the chance is to be upgraded if economy is not full...

hbush Jan 21, 12 10:41 am

Optiontown could not perform upgrades for both ARN-EWR Jan.15 and EWR-ARN Jan.22, for two persons. Request was both from Economy to Business or from Economy to Economy Extra. OK, it's gambling anyway ;)

Interestingly on the flight ARN-EWR there still were several empty seats in Business even after bunch of people (including me and my daughter) upgraded for points. Go figure what a "complex business model" is behind such decisions...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:39 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.