FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1041467-optiontown-com-paid-upgrades-sas.html)

VIFRIB Dec 13, 11 8:37 am

Originally Posted by jfidler (Post 17617684)
I read the last 5 pages of this thread but didn't find the answer. I cancelled my entire booking on SK (via Expedia) about 10 hours before the first flight in my journey was to depart. I paid OptionTown for upgrades on both legs of the flight (outbound and return), and I had already received a confirmation from them that the outbound flight upgrade was not confirmed.

So I emailed them asking if I can get a refund on all I've paid them (minus fees) since my itinerary is cancelled. They didn't quite understand and referred me to how I can't cancel a UTo once I pay for it.

What should I do in this case? Just wait for the return flight to take place (even though I'm no longer booked on it) and the upgrade will fail and then I get a refund?

this was what happened to me as well, I just had to wait and then I got the refund when the second leg wasn't upgraded!

rumble Dec 13, 11 7:48 pm

FYI card payments do not seem to work very well at the OptionTown website right now. After a long time on hold on the phone they finally told me to use Paypal instead! That worked but can't be good for their business...

jfidler Dec 14, 11 10:16 am

Originally Posted by rumble (Post 17622116)
FYI card payments do not seem to work very well at the OptionTown website right now. After a long time on hold on the phone they finally told me to use Paypal instead! That worked but can't be good for their business...

I paid with my US AmEx card yesterday without a problem. However, the site in general was really slow all day yesterday.

Also I received my confirmation this morning for my upgrade to Eco Extra on tomorrow's IAD-CPH flight. Do the Eco Extra seat power outlets accept US-style 3-prong plugs?

clipper27 Dec 14, 11 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by moronic50 (Post 17616783)
Quick questions;

Flying to Tokyo via CPH and bought option town upgrade (waiting for result).

If upgraded to business class for second leg of journey (first part will be in economy) do i get to use business check in at london heathrow or do i still need to check in as economy?

Also can anybody check seat availability in business class for this saturdays tokyo flight? I've tried flightstats and that says it's empty but i know that their figures are wrong because it also suggest loads of economy class seats are available (i think something like 30) of which there are only 10!

many thanks for any help!

Don't know about the first question, I believe you can not use the business check in at LHR if you have an ecoticket on the first leg - but you can use the nice lounge at CPH :D

As for the second question, if I read the information on expertflyer.com correctly, SK 983 from CPH-NRT has currently 24 seats available in Business (of 46 in total). 11 seats available in Economy. Don't know how that translates into your chances though... but we hope for the best ^

moronic50 Dec 14, 11 4:06 pm

thank you clipper27 for looking up those details for me!

i really hope we do get the upgrade as it's my wife and I's honeymoon so it would really start things off with nicely, especially since neither of us have travelled business class before.

Aldo B Dec 14, 11 10:40 pm

Always only one leg on offer

For the third time running now UTO has not been available on the outbound leg of my SAS intercontinental itinerary. As usual however the inbound leg was available and as usual I paid for the chance of an upgrade for this part.

I am still curious why the leg Tokyo-Copenhagen is unavailable though. I have asked the "Customer Service" a few times about this, but they just repeat standard answer that UTO is awarded based on various factors such as for example seat availability. I don't understand why they don't want to answer the question. Also, I doubt that Business class is always sold out over a month in advance, and always only in one and the same out of two directions.

Could the issue be that Optiontown is geared towards tickets originating from the airline's home base (CPH) and the fact that I have a different ticket makes the first leg unavailable?

Does anyone have experience Optiontown from NRT-CPH-NRT or other SAS intercontinental leg which starts away from Scandinavia?

Finally, SAS+OT is was keeps me in EB and since OT refuse to explain to me why they cannot offer their advertised service to me I have to consider moving to Oneworld. Or is there reason to believe my experiences have only been bad luck?

Cheers,
Aldo

agehall Dec 14, 11 11:34 pm

The exact deal between SAS and OT is a well guarded secret. I wouldn't be surprised if the folks at CS doesn't even know the details. They probably have about the same info already available on the website.

In general, if you read this thread, you'll see that there are several factors that seems to influence the chances of an upgrade, but YMMV.

Aldo B Dec 14, 11 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by agehall (Post 17630031)
The exact deal between SAS and OT is a well guarded secret. I wouldn't be surprised if the folks at CS doesn't even know the details. They probably have about the same info already available on the website.

In general, if you read this thread, you'll see that there are several factors that seems to influence the chances of an upgrade, but YMMV.

Indeed. But then again question in this case is not what is influencing the chances of an upgrade but the availability of the product (on the NRT-CPH leg). So going back to the topic, the SAS website states that the product is available on their intercontinental flights but in 3 out of 3 attempts to order the product it had not been possible (it has been unavailable as I might have mentioned before).

I do not even have had the pleasure to pay the 5 EUR fee to not have an upgrade. Any actual insight to the questions listed in my last post would be appreciated!

clipper27 Dec 15, 11 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Aldo B (Post 17630103)
Indeed. But then again question in this case is not what is influencing the chances of an upgrade but the availability of the product (on the NRT-CPH leg). So going back to the topic, the SAS website states that the product is available on their intercontinental flights but in 3 out of 3 attempts to order the product it had not been possible (it has been unavailable as I might have mentioned before).

I do not even have had the pleasure to pay the 5 EUR fee to not have an upgrade. Any actual insight to the questions listed in my last post would be appreciated!

Optiontown is at the least available on the SK routes from the United States to Scandinavia (and I have been successful on 2 of my previous 3 trips) :D
So as far as IC flights from the US, it's available.

Aldo B Dec 15, 11 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by clipper27 (Post 17630211)
Optiontown is at the least available on the SK routes from the United States to Scandinavia (and I have been successful on 2 of my previous 3 trips) :D
So as far as IC flights from the US, it's available.

I also have 2 out of 3 success ratio, but only on the leg that I could actually select. Anyways, thanks for the response. I suppose that it is a Japan-specific glitch or rule. I have experienced those before! ;)

bjerregaard Dec 16, 11 9:14 am

I don't know, but I am travelling quite often CPH-BKK-CPH.
Normally I am trying to upgrade from Econ to Econ+.
Sometimes I am upgrade only CPH-BKK, sometimes only BKK-CPH, sometimes on both legs and sometimes unfortunately it has not been possible at all.
At least I don't think there is a speciel rule about the upgrades on OT from BKK.

PS oh now I understand, maybe it would be different if I flew BKK-CPH-BKK.?? But should it really matter?

moronic50 Dec 16, 11 11:51 am

Just got upgraded to business class for the CPH to NRT leg. Very happy! Great way to start our honeymoon :D:D

Ambler warning Dec 19, 11 3:12 am

I have signed up for an UTo for 3 persons btw CPH and BKK, C class on Thu Dec 22. Today, 3 days prior to departure the availability looks like this:
A/0 C/6 D/6 J/5 Z/0
Y/4 S/0 B/0 E/2 M/3 H/0 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 G/2

What do you think the chances are for an upgrade?

SuperFlyBoy Dec 19, 11 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Ambler warning (Post 17653258)
I have signed up for an UTo for 3 persons btw CPH and BKK, C class on Thu Dec 22. Today, 3 days prior to departure the availability looks like this:
A/0 C/6 D/6 J/5 Z/0
Y/4 S/0 B/0 E/2 M/3 H/0 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 G/2

What do you think the chances are for an upgrade?

Very good, if there no others competing for the same Optiontown upgrade!

In fact, if there was no Optiontown, then I would say a great percentage of elites would end up in either biz or EE.

Ambler warning Dec 19, 11 8:49 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy (Post 17653268)
Very good, if there no others competing for the same Optiontown upgrade!

In fact, if there was no Optiontown, then I would say a great percentage of elites would end up in either biz or EE.

After checking again later today it looks like this:
A/0 C/1 D/1 J/0 Z/0
Y/0 S/0 B/0 E/0 M/0 H/0 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 G/0

Not so good, eh?

:td: