FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1041467-optiontown-com-paid-upgrades-sas.html)

HHConrad Oct 30, 2011 3:09 pm

I got upgraded to Business on SK945 ARN-ORD 29Oct some 72 hours prior to takeoff. Notification came by new ticket from sas via email. Seating fixed via Lufthansa homepage. It took optiontown some 30 hours more to get it cleared on optiontown.com (going from red to green).Why so slow?

At the gate SK945 checked in full in all classes + 1 so gate personnel searched for volunteers. I entered the podium; offering was €600 SAS voucher and ARN-CPH-ORD (landing at approx 3 hours later). While I was occupied by checking the seat availability on the leg CPH-ORD another business class passenger accepted the deal by taking it with the other personnel at the podium. :mad:That felt hard. Anyway the flight was fine but still €600 is always €600.

joorinainen Oct 30, 2011 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by freeman300 (Post 17361789)
I got upgraded to Business on SK945 ARN-ORD 29Oct some 72 hours prior to takeoff. Notification came by new ticket from sas via email. Seating fixed via Lufthansa homepage. It took optiontown some 30 hours more to get it cleared on optiontown.com (going from red to green).Why so slow?

At the gate SK945 checked in full in all classes + 1 so gate personnel searched for volunteers. I entered the podium; offering was €600 SAS voucher and ARN-CPH-ORD (landing at approx 3 hours later). While I was occupied by checking the seat availability on the leg CPH-ORD another business class passenger accepted the deal by taking it with the other personnel at the podium. :mad:That felt hard. Anyway the flight was fine but still €600 is always €600.

I wouldn't worry if i were you. 600EUR SAS voucher.. you get like one "PREMIUM" intra-skandinavian flight with that.. :p

herro Nov 2, 2011 12:55 am

Well - just got another postive experience with Optiontown. I am going on Friday OCT04 from CPH-OSL-EWR. On the segment OSL-EWR

There was two things:

1 - I applied for a M to C upgrade. My credit card failed and wanted to wait for a day to try again. The next day Optiontown called me from India and wanted to help me get it done over the phone. Good service ^

2 - I applied even though there were only 3 seats available in C and Y+. Last week it zeroed out in all classes.

Seats as of last night:

SK907 - OSLEWR
A0 C0 D0 J0 Z0 Y0 S0 B0 E0 M0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G0

Still today got my upgrade to C via mail. So I am a happy camper who still is quite happy about Optiontown.

Have used it several times and all have been succesful upgrades.

/HerrO

vulle Nov 2, 2011 11:39 am

Originally Posted by vulle (Post 17354946)
tourist, thank you for your reply. I have now contacted Optiontown regarding the refund, and EuroBonus Helsinki regarding the points/segments, and also regarding their PointBooster-campaign where I had counted on getting these flights. Will inform on their replies.

I am a happy camper! EuroBonus Helsinki sent me a quick answer, and I got the segments and miles I hoped for, and these canceled flights count on my PointBooster-campaign. Great work! ^

jefi99 Nov 7, 2011 4:41 pm

Is it possible to buy Optiontown upgrades on codeshares (CA operated by SK)?

clipper27 Nov 10, 2011 8:04 am

Applied for SK upgrade on the CPH-ORD leg of a recent trip GOT-CPH-ORD-DFW.

Outbound on Oct 25 was no good, applied for both Eco+ and Business, but received an e-mail a few hours before heading out to the airport that upgrade was unsuccessful. Used 10K points instead at the gate and got my favorite seat 14H in Eco+, with an empty 14G as a bonus surprise. :D
Good service, and good legroom. Eco+ is IMO surely worth 10K points now and then.
Money refund from OT was credited to my account within a few days. ^

Two days before the return trip on Oct 31, I got an e-mail from SAS with a new ticket in B. A few hours later, a confirmation e-mail from Optiontown.
(The Eco+ is almost a must for me when connecting in CPH to GOT from ORD. Those 50 minutes between flights surely gets by quickly when only one line in security and max two lines in customs are open in CPH. To be able to head out to security among the first off the plane sure helps the heartrate...)
On the return trip, I could stretch my legs and sleep like a rock for a full 6+ hours which I never do in Economy. So well worth the upgrade costs, especially since I beat the queues in CPH and made the connection even though we were 25 minutes late into CPH.

So a 50% success rate on my first try to use Optiontown. Good enough.
Next shot will be on January 2nd on the GOT-CPH-WAS-LAX flight (and the situation on SK925 looks mildly favorable right now)

Side note: With a B-ticket on the ORD-CPH leg (2 pcs) and EBS status (+1), I calculated that I would be able to have three pieces of luggage with me back home from a one-day shopping spree in Dallas. But not according to United staff at DFW who insisted on that on my return trip, it was United's rules and not SAS rules that applied, even though I only flew United on the DFW-ORD leg.
Tried to argue and showed them the IATA Resolution 302 that (in by book) clarified that issue. But to no avail.
Had to pay $200 (after a lengthy argument with the ground staff and his supervisor at DFW) for one extra bag. Asked the SAS staff in Chicago on whether or not I was right, and they told me that United "does this all the time" and that I should contact SAS Customer Relations upon arrival in Sweden to clear that issue. After one week I got an apology from SAS on behalf of United as well as a full refund of the $200 that United had charged me. Good work from SAS! ^

moronic50 Nov 14, 2011 2:43 am

can pre-selecting your seats via the Lufthansa website harm your optiontown upgrade chances?

HenrikP Nov 14, 2011 11:25 am

Originally Posted by moronic50 (Post 17445465)
can pre-selecting your seats via the Lufthansa website harm your optiontown upgrade chances?

I do not think so. I have selected a seat every time I have been upgraded, and I have been upgraded 3 out of 3 times!!!!

GinFizz Nov 15, 2011 7:00 am

There appear to be some problems with the Optiontown website at the moment for card payments. I tried today to use two different cards - both times they returned a "payment denied error", but in each case I called the bank a few hours afterward and they said there was no record of any payment being requested let alone denied ... Will try again tomorrow over the phone.

This is the first time I've had problems with them - so far I am hitting 4 out 6 for upgrades (E+ to biz) on the CPH/PEK route.

Tibas Nov 15, 2011 2:36 pm

I tried to search and browse the thread but didn't find the answer. I used optiontown for request a upgrade on Blue1 from CPH to HEL this upcoming weekend. Don't know if it will be succesful of course, but does someone know how that flight will credit into the Miles&More program? Will I get miles for the upgraded C flight or for the undelying discounted economy flight? If the later, I will post the miles to my EB account instead, since it will earn 200%, but would rather put them in my Miles & More account.

Thanks in advance!

joorinainen Nov 15, 2011 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Tibas (Post 17455904)
I tried to search and browse the thread but didn't find the answer. I used optiontown for request a upgrade on Blue1 from CPH to HEL this upcoming weekend. Don't know if it will be succesful of course, but does someone know how that flight will credit into the Miles&More program? Will I get miles for the upgraded C flight or for the undelying discounted economy flight? If the later, I will post the miles to my EB account instead, since it will earn 200%, but would rather put them in my Miles & More account.

Thanks in advance!

Business miles if you have upgraded to business. Economy Plus if you have been upgraded to Economy Plus.

fqtvHEL Nov 15, 2011 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tibas (Post 17455904)

Thanks in advance!

If the upgrade goes through your ticket will be upgraded to booking class Z and according to LH earnings chart it will give you 1500 LH miles.

Tibas Nov 16, 2011 12:53 am

Thanks for your replies! Then I will keep my Miles & More card for the booking, and hope for a upgrade. :p

moronic50 Dec 13, 2011 4:15 am

Quick questions;

Flying to Tokyo via CPH and bought option town upgrade (waiting for result).

If upgraded to business class for second leg of journey (first part will be in economy) do i get to use business check in at london heathrow or do i still need to check in as economy?

Also can anybody check seat availability in business class for this saturdays tokyo flight? I've tried flightstats and that says it's empty but i know that their figures are wrong because it also suggest loads of economy class seats are available (i think something like 30) of which there are only 10!

many thanks for any help!

jfidler Dec 13, 2011 8:07 am

I read the last 5 pages of this thread but didn't find the answer. I cancelled my entire booking on SK (via Expedia) about 10 hours before the first flight in my journey was to depart. I paid OptionTown for upgrades on both legs of the flight (outbound and return), and I had already received a confirmation from them that the outbound flight upgrade was not confirmed.

So I emailed them asking if I can get a refund on all I've paid them (minus fees) since my itinerary is cancelled. They didn't quite understand and referred me to how I can't cancel a UTo once I pay for it.

What should I do in this case? Just wait for the return flight to take place (even though I'm no longer booked on it) and the upgrade will fail and then I get a refund?