FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1041467-optiontown-com-paid-upgrades-sas.html)

Shoes99 May 22, 2010 5:06 pm

I'm travelling SAS, EWR to CPH on June 9th, returning June 21. There are only 11 seats left in Economy, and 3 seats returning in Economy. We paid to upgrade from Economy, to Economy plus via Optiontown a month ago. I know I won't know until day of travel, but I am hoping we get at least one of the segments...
Flights SK910 and SK909.
Michele

neuron May 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Shoes99 (Post 14005521)
I'm travelling SAS, EWR to CPH on June 9th, returning June 21. There are only 11 seats left in Economy, and 3 seats returning in Economy. We paid to upgrade from Economy, to Economy plus via Optiontown a month ago. I know I won't know until day of travel, but I am hoping we get at least one of the segments...
Flights SK910 and SK909.
Michele

I was in a similar situation (wrt to seat availability) and was upgraded 4 days before my outbound flight.

Originally Posted by freeman_swe (Post 13997008)
Is 172€ a good price for upgrading from economy to economy extra?
Will it become cheaper if I wait?

I think it might go lower, but it could also go higher too! That is better than what I paid for my EWR-CPH flight E-->EEx. I did get a phone call from them trying to get me to go to Business also.

Does anyone know if you can use miles on a Star Alliance award to upgrade to Biz on a Optiontown upgraded flight?

jth May 23, 2010 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by neuron (Post 14005610)
I think it might go lower, but it could also go higher too! That is better than what I paid for my EWR-CPH flight E-->EEx. I did get a phone call from them trying to get me to go to Business also.

Actually, i just checked my booking and it seems it went from 156e to 196e for an upgrade! :eek:
Now, i could be wrong, but i think i remember correctly...

vilntrav May 23, 2010 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by jth (Post 14009231)
Actually, i just checked my booking and it seems it went from 156e to 196e for an upgrade! :eek:
Now, i could be wrong, but i think i remember correctly...

Can they increase prize of upgrading without your agreement for the new prize ?
To see if you are wrong or not you can check the receipt Optiontown sent you when you first applied. Also at that time they took money from your credit card.

vilntrav May 23, 2010 7:36 pm

For CPH-EWR or any other flight is it possible to apply through Optiontown both for an upgrade to Economy Extra and to business ? And if I get upgrade to Economy Extra from Option town can I upgrade to business from SAS by redeeming miles on top of it ?

joemume May 24, 2010 1:40 am

You should have no problems upgrading with points to Business, if you upgraded to Economy Extra with Optiontown. I did this a few weeks back, and it went smoothly. :D

neuron May 24, 2010 3:33 am

Originally Posted by joemume (Post 14011800)
You should have no problems upgrading with points to Business, if you upgraded to Economy Extra with Optiontown. I did this a few weeks back, and it went smoothly. :D

Thanks, tried to use my UA miles and do a * Alliance upgrade, but no go! Worked out in the end anyway and I saved 20k miles! ;)

freeman_swe Jun 2, 2010 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by ILS2 (Post 13997596)
Definitely SK 903 on June 2nd. Only two seats that has not been pre-reserved in Economy, which usually means they will be oversold in M. That will lead to op-ups to Y+, which in turn means op-ups from Y+ to C. This has happened to me many times now, especially around holidays.

On SK 904 on June 7th, Business Class actually comes up as sold out(!), so little or no chance for an upgrade to C at the moment.

They upgraded me and my friend to E+ at check-in and at gate they upgraded us to C. Really nice flight.

ILS2 Jun 3, 2010 2:28 am

Originally Posted by freeman_swe (Post 14066584)
They upgraded me and my friend to E+ at check-in and at gate they upgraded us to C. Really nice flight.

I'm glad it worked out. I'm hoping for the same on ARN-ORD on the 16th ;)

freeman_swe Jun 3, 2010 4:13 am

Thanks for your tip so we didnt waste our money and good luck.

dr.martin Jun 4, 2010 1:56 am

I ordered my upgrade a couple days ago and got it confirmed today to Premium Economy for €172 plus €5 registration fee (€177 total).

Flying CPH to ORD tomorrow (confirmation came about 30 hours before flight).

I can see there are only 2xC class seats available on the whole plane (yesterday there were 4) so I was a bit surprised to get the upgrade. Hope it goes smoothly at the airport.

pleh Jun 6, 2010 7:01 pm

I do feel this some kind of interesting with Optiontown: looking for chance to upgrade next saturday for PEK-CPH. This and all other flights around weekend are prop-full according to SAS which you should - possibly, trust.
Optiontown is still sending me (automatic) emails with High Uprgrade Chance, but not responding any emails to their customer service. For me this looks like they are just trying to collect service fees for nothing :td:

RipperDoc Jun 6, 2010 8:24 pm

Yes, obviously optiontown earns their money on these service fees, and also probably on an assumption that a significant share of people will pay the service fee but not for the upgrade. 200-500 Euro is still not that cheap for a one-leg upgrade.

But I think it is good that there is a service to pay for upgrades, so that the traveller is more in control.

ILS2 Jun 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by ILS2 (Post 14067887)
I'm glad it worked out. I'm hoping for the same on ARN-ORD on the 16th ;)

...and it did. Six days before departure I recieved my upgrade confirmation. They must be heavily oversold in M. I'm going for an op-up to C, of course ;)

Alfonso XIV Jun 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by pleh (Post 14088441)
I do feel this some kind of interesting with Optiontown:. . . Optiontown is still sending me (automatic) emails with High Uprgrade Chance, ... . For me this looks like they are just trying to collect service fees for nothing :td:

I had a mixed experience with Optiontown this last weekend on a roundtrip, ORD-CPH-ARN -- ORD. About 6 weeks prior I purchased upgrade options from E to E+. About 2 weeks ago, they blasted me with emails to upgrade further to C ("High Probability!"). Expert Flyer showed Business wide open on ORD-CPH, but completely booked on the return ARN-ORD, so "High Probability!" was probably just a come-on. The price was right, so I paid the incremental amount required, over my initial deposit made for upgrades to E+.

About 3 days before departure, I was upgraded to E+, roundtrip. On the day of departure, Business was still wide open on ORD-CPH, so I assumed I'd get the call, but didn't.

At the airport, SAS ticket agents of course knew nothing about my OT request for an upgrade to Business. So I spent 40 minutes on the phone with OT trying to get an explanation out of them, which I never got.

The experience left a bad taste:
1) I'm a native English speaker, yet EVERY time I speak w/ an OT rep, I only understand about 10% of what they say. It is maddening to have to ask them to repeat and slow down, and even that doesn't help.
2) I get the distinct impression that OT reps work from home, because I always hear kitchen and family noises in the background. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it only makes understanding them more difficult.
3) They would give me no explanation for why I didn't get the upgrade from E+ to C, insisting that upgrade decisions were entirely their prerogative to award, according to criteria that was private and proprietary.
4) In the end I felt I'd been scammed to fork over the additional E+ to C deposit and service fees, when there was little chance of getting the upgrade. And I paid the service fees twice, once for each request.

Joël