Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:08 am

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by efanekoku
I have to say I was extremely happy with Option Town. I got upgraded from low eco to business from ARN - ORD and back EWR - ARN. €600 in total for the upgrades (on top of the original fare of 6,000SEK).[...]Will definitely be using it again
I have some suspicions that new users at OptionTown get their first few upgrades almost for sure Later it seems to be not so certain. But again - it's worth to try anyway
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, SK Silver
Originally Posted by hbush
I have some suspicions that new users at OptionTown get their first few upgrades almost for sure Later it seems to be not so certain. But again - it's worth to try anyway
That's definitely a possibility, but yeah worth a try for sure
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by hbush
My two first optiontown entries CPH-IAD and EWR-CPH were not upgraded. I have my third try coming up this sunday CPH-IAD with no word of an upgrade yet. So no evidence of there being a fast track for newly registered members.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: EBS
First time i tried optiontown to Y+ CPH-BKK-CPH I was not upgraded, second time i tried in december I was upgraded both ways.
On the other hand I got an email from optiontown, I have the same trip next may, and they ask me to upgrade to Y+ for 156 euro each way, in december i upgraded for 135 euro each way. So if you have succeed one time maybe they raise the price for your next trip? Maybe they hope you are addicted ;-)

Last edited by bjerregaard; Jan 14, 2011 at 11:41 am
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, SAS Eurobonus + many moore
Originally Posted by jth
A bit OT but:
Actually, if you do a points upgrade at the checkin it says in the terms you are NOT entitled to ground services such as lounges. But your C-class BP looks the same as everybody elses so they cannot tell the difference. I have never been denied access, anyway
I was once denied access to the EWR lounge when upgraded with points.
They used to put green stickers on the BP if you where flying C, but not if you upgraded with points to C, so that the dragons could deny you access.
Sad but true.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:48 pm

Optiontown on Spanair codeshare (CO metal)

Hi - was offered (and took) optiontown option on a flight EWR-BCN on Spanair later in year, which I have now noticed is a codeshare on Continental metal. Anyone have any experience as to whether this has a chance of clearing, or whether I should contact OT for posting an impossible offer...?

Many thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2011, 7:11 am

Did not get my latest Y/C upgrade I had signed up for on CPH-IAD. That makes me 0/3 with Optiontown. It really has to start paying off soon or these administrative charges are going to be a real nuisance.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:42 am
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Did not get my latest Y/C upgrade I had signed up for on CPH-IAD. That makes me 0/3 with Optiontown. It really has to start paying off soon or these administrative charges are going to be a real nuisance.
Remember that they obviously only upgrades in case the cabin is full. This time of year (i suppose you tried recently) is not really the top season. I had no problem getting upgrades last summer, but we'll see how it goes on next weekends trip.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: SK*G, Club Carlson Gold, A-Club Platinum
I've just been declined OptionTown upgrade on CPH-ORD and ORD-CPH (flying back in 11 hours). But I can understand them; Business was half-full, Economy Extra 2/3rds and Economy completely desolate. However they do upgrades for points. On the other hand, if I can get 4 seats in a row in M I'll have a fully-flat seat!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:24 am
jth

Originally Posted by hencjo
I've just been declined OptionTown upgrade on CPH-ORD and ORD-CPH (flying back in 11 hours). But I can understand them;
Considering the light loads, i agree with you. I am currently in the same situation, I am (impatiently) awating upgrades on ARN-EWR the upcoming weekend. OT did try to persuade with "high upgrade chance" but we'll see how it goes. Now, NYC is probably a more busy winter destination than Chicago so i still have some hope.
Checking with flightstats, It's hard to tell. As long as i can see E9/M9/H9, i suppose economy is still fairly open.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 4:06 am

Programs: EBG
I have an upcoming trip on which I'll be travelling CPH-IAD then ORD-CPH. Optiontown states "High Upgrade Chance" on both segments. Dates of the trip are Feb 26 and March 5. I assume since this is a holiday week for many Norwegian schools (don't know about Denmark and Sweden), families are taking the opportunity to run off to the US (as we are). Have signed up for Uto both ways, hopefully with a positive outcome. I've had 100% success so far with Optiontown, but have always been travelling during peak times.

Can anyone post the current load factor for these flights? Thanks in advance.
Feb 26 SK 925
Mar 05 SK 944

As we are still a month out I anticipate there should still be a good amount of availability, but am curious as it does say "High Upgrade Chance" on Optiontown.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 4:15 am
jth

Originally Posted by KroFlyer
Can anyone post the current load factor for these flights? Thanks in advance.
Feb 26 SK 925
Mar 05 SK 944
from flightstats:
Feb 26 SK925 Y9 S8 B5 E9 M9 H3 - rest is zero
Mar 05 SK944 Y9 S9 B9 E9 M9 H9 Q7 V7 W6 - rest is zero

So, SK925 absolutely looks good with H class almost sold out one month in advance. SK944 is still fairly open with W seats left, but as you say, this is a bit of a school holiday season (in Sweden too) so it shouldn't be impossible.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by jth
from flightstats:
Feb 26 SK925 Y9 S8 B5 E9 M9 H3 - rest is zero
Mar 05 SK944 Y9 S9 B9 E9 M9 H9 Q7 V7 W6 - rest is zero

So, SK925 absolutely looks good with H class almost sold out one month in advance. SK944 is still fairly open with W seats left, but as you say, this is a bit of a school holiday season (in Sweden too) so it shouldn't be impossible.
Great, thanks for the info!
Old Jan 30, 2011, 5:56 am

Programs: EBG, Skywards, Club Carlson Elite Gold, HHonors Gold
Optiontown question

Have a question to those of you exeperienced with Optiontown.

I have a SAS flight booked in april OSL - CPH - BKK and consider to give it a shot for an upgrade to C with Optiontown.

If the upgrade goes through will the OSL - CPH leg get upgraded too? Otherwise i would probably not be able to use the Fast Lane and Lounge at OSL?

Our transfer time in CPH is too short to give us time to enjoy the lounge there.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by jjessen
If the upgrade goes through will the OSL - CPH leg get upgraded too? Otherwise i would probably not be able to use the Fast Lane and Lounge at OSL?

Our transfer time in CPH is too short to give us time to enjoy the lounge there.
Hi jjessen, and welcome to flyertalk!

Your OSL-CPH flight will not be upgraded also, Optiontown only works for long haul on SAS. However, the boarding pass you will travel with will reflect that you will be flying on an international business class ticket, even though connecting flights may be in economy. Therefore you should be allowed to access the lounge and fast track. I am sure if you look at the rules concerning fast track and lounge access on sas.no there should be some information in black and white to clarify this for you.

Either way, I would go for the optiontown upgrade as you will be much more comfortable in C and OSL is usually pretty quick getting through security anyway. It would be a shame if you were not allowed into the lounge, but you don't really need to arrive hours before the flight departs OSL anyway, so I wouldn't consider that a dealbreaker. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.