Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SASs intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
As far as I remember, priority is given to Business Class upgrade. I believe this is clrealy stated on the OT website during the booking procedure.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: SAS EB, BA EC, ANA MC, Norwegian Reward
Originally Posted by SusanDK
For those of you who have signed up for both E+ and C upgrades, and then got an upgrade, which one came through and/or were you ever offered both options to choose between?

Are one's chances better to sign up for both options, or is it better to sign up for the preferred option?
No opportunity to choose was given in my case. C(Z) was granted with both options applied for.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Originally Posted by ILS2
As far as I remember, priority is given to Business Class upgrade. I believe this is clearly stated on the OT website during the booking procedure.
Yes.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:12 am

Wow, Blue1 really wants me to upgrade. I booked a HEL-LHR trip (discounted Economy) on the 17th December, and since then I've received two "Thank you for choosing Blue1, here are your flight details" e-mails that really are just advertisements for the Optiontown upgrades. It's kind of annoying that the e-mail subject line doesn't say so. I don't need a reminder about my flight details, I got those when I first made the booking...
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:56 pm
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
This will be interesting. Was looking at my flight to EWR last weekend in Jan, optiontown website tries to convince me with "high upgrade chance" while both outbound and return flights show wide open in economy.
I'll sign up i guess, but i don't expect the loads in January to be too high so we'll see about that...
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:23 am
kkl

unable to search for airasia direct flights on flightstats.
why do all the flights searched have stopovers?

could someone please help. looking for PER-KUL. 4-7 feb. flexible on travel dates
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: SK EBS, Hilton Silver
Upgrade chances ORD-CPH

I was succesfull saturday in optiontown upgrade from CPH-ORD. C-class was almost empty according to checkmytrip just before departure, but most of the seats was taken propably upgrades with points.

I am now hopping for the upgrade thursday 13 from ORD-CPH. At this point expert flyer says Y9 S0 B0 ESH9 rest 0 and C5 D5 Z0 J0.

Calculating available economy seats according to checkmytrip is around 35 for now.

Anyone who can estimate the chanches for an upgrade?

It looks like Z-class is 0, does that mean that no upgrades is possible?

Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:31 am
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
Originally Posted by dkpam
Calculating available economy seats according to checkmytrip is around 35 for now.

Anyone who can estimate the chanches for an upgrade?

It looks like Z-class is 0, does that mean that no upgrades is possible?

Thanks
How did you use checkmytrip for that? By looking at non-taken seats?

For thursday 13, there's only 5 seats left in business and only EHM buckets show availability accodring to flightstats so i'd say you have a chance.

Z-class 0 doesn't mean anything in the way of upgrades, it's just the revenue ticket bucket so don't worry about that.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by jth
How did you use checkmytrip for that? By looking at non-taken seats?

For thursday 13, there's only 5 seats left in business and only EHM buckets show availability accodring to flightstats so i'd say you have a chance.

Z-class 0 doesn't mean anything in the way of upgrades, it's just the revenue ticket bucket so don't worry about that.
Yes, I tried to look at non-taken seats by checkmytrip, but I know that there are some preassigned seats etc. so there might be more seats avaibale. But only in the EHM classes.

I am going tomorrow and cannot see anything changed on checkmytrip or from optiontown so I still hope for an upgrade.

Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: SK EBG |CSA OK+ Gold | SPG Gold | CO, BD, QR, AF lowlife
Originally Posted by dkpam
Yes, I tried to look at non-taken seats by checkmytrip, but I know that there are some preassigned seats etc. so there might be more seats avaibale. But only in the EHM classes.
Checkmytrip will only show you seats that are already assigned. Many people only assign seats at check-in at the airport, so it will likely change dramatically up to departure. I would rather trust Expertflyer to give an estimate of remaining seats.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:21 pm

Thank you. Have anyone access to expertflyer who can see details on ORD-CPH 13 January? I have now 24 hours before the flight not heard anything from optiontown. On flightstats I can see 5 C/D-class and only EHM class available. So I still keep my hope up to have a good nights sleep in biz and not back in coach :-)
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: SK EBG |CSA OK+ Gold | SPG Gold | CO, BD, QR, AF lowlife
ORD-CPH, 13-Jan-2011
A0 C4 D4 J0 Z0 Y9 S0 B0 E9 M9 H9 Q0 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G9

From Expertflyer

Good luck!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: SK EBG
My US-trip with the family (5 pax) gave the following results:

ARN-ORD with completely full Economy gave us Optiontown upgrade (notified a couple of days before departure) to Eco Extra and then op-up to C at the gate. Extra value because of the double status points!

EWR-ARN with ca 70% load in all classes. Optiontown upgrade declined (was informed same day as departure), but a requested upgrade for points at the gate moved us to Eco Extra. Heard that it was difficult to do points upgrade to C as they only had catering for the booked pax.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jth
This will be interesting. Was looking at my flight to EWR last weekend in Jan, optiontown website tries to convince me with "high upgrade chance" while both outbound and return flights show wide open in economy.
I'll sign up i guess, but i don't expect the loads in January to be too high so we'll see about that...
I assumed that the "high upgrade chance" means that the passenger load is predicted to be low (so there is a high chance of your optiontown upgrade being processed). In any case I wouldn't trust this information too much unless you have some experience on a particular route.

I flew PEK-CPH on earlier this week and Optiontown reported a "high upgrade chance" for my return flight in February but not for the outward leg. I would not have signed up for it even if it had as I can almost always get a points-upgrade a check-in (Y/B to C) for the PEK-CPH leg. Sure enough this time I got the points upgrade (as well as at least 4 others from the pile of "upgrade receipts" I could see on the check-in desk). Even then at take off there were still at least 5 business seats free as far as I could see in the (1 in the main cabin and 4 in the small cabin).

Perhaps the Optiontown system for flagging a "good upgrade chance" works based on the number of past successes for that particular route (so if few people sign up for the upgrade, the system will never learn that that space is usually available). Or maybe it is just based on a dodgy algorithm. Saying that, I will probably sign up for the return flight (CPH-PEK), as my success in getting upgrades on that leg of the journey is much lower than the PEK-CPH leg.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, SK Silver
I have to say I was extremely happy with Option Town. I got upgraded from low eco to business from ARN - ORD and back EWR - ARN. 600 in total for the upgrades (on top of the original fare of 6,000SEK).

Got the email confirmation 48 hours before each flight, no problems with lounge access at ARN and EWR. Received 20,000 EB points for the trip which was enough to put me straight to Silver after one month of my qualifying year.

Will definitely be using it again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.