Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2016, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Is that happen to the complete ticket, or just the leg that is upgraded? I'm 99% sure I've had changes made by my TA to one of my return flights after one of the outbound legs was upgraded through OT.
Personally I don't like that one TA can take control over a ticket, and the original TA can't take the control back. My company are paying our TA for a 24/7 global service with max. 5 min. phone queue on a dedicated number. I strongly doubt OT will provide the same level of service, or know under which policy we can change travel plans after the first leg has been completed.
To my experience the rest of the itinerary can be change via the original TA. They just cannot touch the upgraded segments or cancel the itinerary before the upgraded segments have been flown. Quite a bit strange...
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Put in a bid. A fare; Plus to Business. SK963 ARN HKG 208€. Did not bid SK964 (208€). When logged in two days after thinking SK964 price was 221€ for day flight.

Last edited by Abducted Alien; Mar 18, 2016 at 9:08 am Reason: Cat on the lap.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
Optiontown upgrade?

So I put in a bid for a business class upgrade from a SAS Go fare (intercontinental) on Optiontown - I did not select the premium economy option

Today, three days before the flight, I get an email from SAS showing my ticket in premium economy / P fare class and checkmytrip shows two e-ticket numbers, one issued today and the other one issued when I originally booked my flight

Optiontown still shows "Upgrade decision pending" - I suspect this whole thing has something to do with Optiontown but I'm not sure. If it's an OpUp, why did they rebook me into P?

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:13 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Originally Posted by LukasVIE
Optiontown still shows "Upgrade decision pending" - I suspect this whole thing has something to do with Optiontown but I'm not sure. If it's an OpUp, why did they rebook me into P?

Any thoughts?
Operational upgrade by SAS. But I´ll let fassy and other to give more accurate statement.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:19 am

Hmm, not sure. Opups by SAS or the courtesy upgrades should not change the booking ckass or issue a new e-ticket. On the other hand OT would upgrade in Z for business and not in C.

I have no idea. Please report back what class of service you flew and how many points you got in end.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by fassy
Hmm, not sure. Opups by SAS or the courtesy upgrades should not change the booking ckass or issue a new e-ticket. On the other hand OT would upgrade in Z for business and not in C.

I have no idea. Please report back what class of service you flew and how many points you got in end.
Will do! Thanks for the input
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: More than one
So I put in a bid for a business class upgrade from a SAS Go fare (intercontinental) on Optiontown - I did not select the premium economy option

Today, three days before the flight, I get an email from SAS showing my ticket in premium economy / P fare class and checkmytrip shows two e-ticket numbers, one issued today and the other one issued when I originally booked my flight

Any thoughts?
Sounds like you got a courtesy upgrade from SAS. If it was an OT upgrade you would have received an e-mail from OT not SAS, and the OT site will have been updated with the new info. Whether the SAS courtesy upgrade will affect the OT upgrade or not, I can't say. I've given up trying to understand the OT decision process. The same goes for the SAS upgrade decisions process too by the way.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Sounds like you got a courtesy upgrade from SAS. If it was an OT upgrade you would have received an e-mail from OT not SAS, and the OT site will have been updated with the new info. Whether the SAS courtesy upgrade will affect the OT upgrade or not, I can't say. I've given up trying to understand the OT decision process. The same goes for the SAS upgrade decisions process too by the way.
So this thing gets even more mysterious. Optiontown now shows that I have been upgraded to SAS Business Class, but my ticket is still for Premium Economy.

I talked with a rep from Optiontown and they said that they would figure it out at the airport and that I had a seat in business class - According to the SAS hotline I'm still in SAS Premium Economy - this is a really confusing process I have to say.

Maybe it's just because I'm a little bit skeptic when it comes to these things but "figuring it out at the airport" doesn't seem to be a good solution.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:17 pm

Interesting, guess there has been some mixup. Either OT re-booked into the wrong booking class which is unlikely or SAS and OT messed up the timing, e.g. OT processed the upgrade to Z, while SAS processed and upgrade to P. This way the ticket was M up to Z down to P?

Anyway, OT has a quite decent telephone support and if you got the print out confirming their upgrade and bring it to the check-in they will sort it out for you. Had a couple of problems over the years but in the end it was always sorted out at the check-in without much hassle.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: SK EBD, AY Plat, Member TG,LH,UA,AC
Thinking about bidding on OT for
963 on 21/4 and 964 on 24/4

Y to Premium Y = €500 o/w
Y to C = €1,000 o/w

Has anyone see price fluctuation; what I mean if there is any chances that price would go down ?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:01 pm

So this thing gets even more mysterious. Optiontown now shows that I have been upgraded to SAS Business Class, but my ticket is still for Premium Economy.

I talked with a rep from Optiontown and they said that they would figure it out at the airport and that I had a seat in business class - According to the SAS hotline I'm still in SAS Premium Economy - this is a really confusing process I have to say.

Maybe it's just because I'm a little bit skeptic when it comes to these things but "figuring it out at the airport" doesn't seem to be a good solution.
The SAS systems are not always good at handling the OT upgrades. I've seen more than one case where I got the OT upgrade confirmation, but wasn't able to select a seat in the new class before I did the online check-in. But as soon as check-in opened up, all the issues disappeared.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:11 pm

Update

Just an update as I am sitting on the plane.

As I feared, the problem was that OT or SAS mistakenly upgraded me into SAS Plus instead of SAS Business. The checkin agent initially couldn't help me and suggested calling OT.

After an hour back and forth between the OT agent on my phone, the checkin agent and the station manager, I was eventually upgraded into SAS Business Class, but the entire experience was very stressful and I ended up getting an aisle seat in the middle section only.

As icing on the cake, SAS wasn't able to add my Aegean FQTV number to my reservation so I'll have to deal with retro-claiming miles.

Overall, definitely a bad experience and I won't use Optiontown again. BTW, cash upgrades at checkin were cheaper than what Optiontown wanted.

For LAX to ARN, the cash upgrade prices are $117 from M to Y, $250 from Y to C and $450 from M to C - all cheaper than OT.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:44 pm

Sorry to hear that. In 5 years I had not one bad experience with OT... Hope they do not slowly begin to fail on me (and others)

Be very careful with the retro claim of the miles. Check first what booking class is now recorded for your flight. If it is still P and they just moved you to the C cabin you will get miles for P and it is close to impossible to appeal to Aegean to sort this out with OptionTown to get Z miles. With SK and OptionTown that kind of sorting out works quite well... At least used to...
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by coolburning
Thinking about bidding on OT for
963 on 21/4 and 964 on 24/4

Y to Premium Y = €500 o/w
Y to C = €1,000 o/w

Has anyone see price fluctuation; what I mean if there is any chances that price would go down ?
It can happen but I would expect with the plane filling up it is unlikely. I had a couple of smaller price decreases but that was like 20 to 30$. On the other hand I saw the prices jump up by 50 to 100$ the closer the departure date came.

Same as buying a regular airfare. You need to win the bet against the revenue management... From experience I can say, you will most likely loose
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by fassy
Sorry to hear that. In 5 years I had not one bad experience with OT... Hope they do not slowly begin to fail on me (and others)
The first OT upgrades I did about a year ago was all problematic. They were all long haul. One wasn't declined until 2 hours before scheduled takeoff, and calling their support didn't give anything. A couple of times I got declined but was able to purchase the upgrade at the same price at the gate.
Since then I took a pause about 4 months again I decided to give them another chance. I haven't had any problems yet in this second run, but it has only been short haul, and I've got diamond status in the meantime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.