Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SASs intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: EBS
Originally Posted by SirRagnar
SK 972 Departing 12/22/10 - Wednesday
A0 C6 D6 J4 Z1 Y3 S1 B0 E0 M2 H0 Q0 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G0

Looking good for an upgrade.

And it is by the way not uncommon to receive the e-ticket before any notification from Optiontown. I've seen it happen both the times I got an UTO upgrade. Got the Optiontown email some hours later than the e-ticket.
Thank you for you answer, very helpful.
Maybe it is OT but I think it is strange that the cheapest bookingclass sold on sas.dk this evening is W BKK-CPH. on december 22.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: SAS EB, BA EC, ANA MC, Norwegian Reward
Question

I am flying (inbound) CPH-NRT on Dec 29th.

What are the chances of an optiontown upgrade (E>E+/E>BC) then and in the future, how would I investigate that myself?

I have purchased the (chance of an) upgrade already.

For the outbound trip on Dec 21st nothing was available on optiontown. Do you have any ideas why? I am hoping for a upgrade with points at/after check-in so I should reasonably check in early (at the airport)? On a likely busy flight as before Christmas, would chances of upgrade generally be high (E oversold) or low (E+/BC tickets sold out)?

I normally fly economy but for some reason (pure luck on full planes I think) I have been upgraded to BC on IC flight a few times lately so I have come to value the perks on IC flight.

Cheers,
Aldo
Old Dec 2, 2010, 1:45 am
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
Originally Posted by bjerregaard
Thank you for you answer, very helpful.
Maybe it is OT but I think it is strange that the cheapest bookingclass sold on sas.dk this evening is W BKK-CPH. on december 22.
FWIW, i have noticed that info from availability sources and the currently selling classes on sas homepage is very seldom in accordance. Either it's the classis POS (point of sale) thing or they are just happily overselling.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 5:29 am

You can't know for sure whether you will get the upgrade or not during the peak season. That will depend on the available seats in business and as far as optiontown upgrades are concerned, you will get a notification from their side whatever be the case. For your outbound trip, ask their customer care.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by jaimie
You can't know for sure whether you will get the upgrade or not during the peak season. That will depend on the available seats in business and as far as optiontown upgrades are concerned, you will get a notification from their side whatever be the case. For your outbound trip, ask their customer care.
Thank you for your input. My questions was however the same as you raised above. I am sorry if my post was too implicit. I acknowledge that sometimes disrupts communication.

SirRagnar was obviously able to do some kind of projection for another flight based on available information. So what I wonder is 1) what is the outlook for my flight and 2) how can make that analysis myself?
Identifiying the parameters does not help.

As I will ask for upgrade at check-in (this is due to my ticket class) customer care will unlikely be able to help. So again, the century old question, what is better - to check-in late or early - for chances of an upgrade?

Cheers!
Marcus
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:26 am

Programs: SK EBG |CSA OK+ Gold | SPG Gold | CO, BD, QR, AF lowlife
Hi Aldo

I was using an online availability tool called Expertflyer.com. It comes at a cost but give you good inside into availability, seat maps etc. You can try it for free for 5 days, I believe.

For your flights it looks like this:

9 is the maximum number of available seats it will show so as you can see it looks like most classes are wide open on your flights.

C, D, J, Z = Business
Y, B, S = Economy Extra
Rest of them = Economy

I am surprised that you are not able to sign up for upgrade the 21st.

The reason I stated to the other poster that it looked good for en upgrade was because the economy class looked all sold out so they would have to upgrade some anyways.
It does not look like that on your flights.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by SirRagnar
I was using an online availability tool called Expertflyer.com. It comes at a cost but give you good inside into availability, seat maps etc. You can try it for free for 5 days, I believe.

*DIRECTORS CUT*

I am surprised that you are not able to sign up for upgrade the 21st.

The reason I stated to the other poster that it looked good for en upgrade was because the economy class looked all sold out so they would have to upgrade some anyways.
It does not look like that on your flights.
OK, thanks for the info and explaining the rationale.

Cheers,
Aldo

Last edited by Aldo B; Dec 5, 2010 at 2:15 am
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:07 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aldo B
OK, thanks for the info ...
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Aldo B. A word to the wise : it is not always necessary to quote every word of the message to which you are responding, especially if it is more than a few lines long.

cheers,

Henry
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Is anybody else having problems getting retro credit for Uptiontown upgrades on non-SK issued tickets ?

In October I did CPH-(CO)-EWR-(CO)-DFW-(UA)-IAD-(SK)-CPH on a discounted economy UA issued ticket. I succesfully put in a 139 Optiontown UTO upgrade request to Economy Extra for IAD-CPH (followed by an op-up to Business ;-).

Since this was on a UA issued ticket, I didn't get a reissued ticket following the Optiontown confirmation e-mail, but when I checked in, some comment in the systems alerted the check-in staff in IAD to upgrade me to Y.

BTW, I credited the CO and UA flights to BMI Diamond Club (100% earning) and the SK flight to EB to earn 150% for Economy Extra and to get EBG benefits.

But, when the SK flight posted, it posted as the originally ticketed Discounted Economy (25%) instead of the Optiontown purchased Economy Extra (150%), so I immidiately sent an e-mail to '[email protected]' forwarding my Optiontown confirmation mail, and asking to update my earnings to 150% for Economy Extra (on-line retro claim was not allowed since the system said that "flight is already credited").

The usual 6+ weeks went by, and I got the following a week ago:
- Automated replies telling me that the my CPH-EWR and EWR-DFW flights didn't qualify for EB points since they'd been credited to another FFP (which is totally correct, and why I didn't claim them).
- 300 points for my DFW-IAD flight (that was also credited to another FFP).

, and my SK IAD-CPH flight still stands as the originally ticketed Discounted Economy :-(

So they've totally misread my claim, and just issued automated replies without any direct response. Not that I don't appreciate the (faulty) 300 points for DFW-IAD, but I'd rather have the 6000+ points for IAD-CPH ;-)

I then called EB Customer Service, who could confirm that I was entitled to the points for my Uptiontown purchased class, but who were unable to advise me to anything else that to resubmit my claim and wait another 6+ weeks (which they agreed was not a customer friendly response time). So last week, I resubmitted my claim, and with some luck I can get my points in January. But more likely I have a fight waiting, when the next response (or lack of same) comes from '[email protected]'.

Has anybody else had similar problems getting points from Optiontown upgrades on non-SK tickets ? Any advice ?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Originally Posted by raunow
Any advice ?
Not on this issue. But in general, when I have been back and forth with Bangkok, and they still reply out of the blue, I have had luck getting teh correct number of points sending an email to my local EB member service including the Bangkok nonsense answers. I guess that's not how the system is supposed to work, but that the people at member service take pity on me when they see the weird communication.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
I sent an e-mail to Optiontown telling them to make sure I got the correct amount of miles (I was originally given 25%). Within 3 days the problem was fixed.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ILS2
I sent an e-mail to Optiontown telling them to make sure I got the correct amount of miles (I was originally given 25%). Within 3 days the problem was fixed.
Thanks a lot ILS2. Sent an email to Optiontown this morning, and got the points earning corrected today.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:04 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
a bit OT but interesting

I recently joined Malev's FFP in order to avail of their 'status match' offer. When I booked a cheap ticket to Budapest, I saw that they too are using OptionTown. But nowhere on the Malev website did it say anything about what happens to the points, so I sent them an e-mail and asked. And the Official answer was that, with their programme, OptionTown upgrades do not give the points of the upgraded class, only the originally booked class. Here is something where EuroBonus is better.

cheers,

Henry
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: EBG, Hertz Five Star, A-club Gold
I did CPH-BKK a while back and I got the upgrade via Optiontown from Y-->C for me and the Mrs and we got the points for C. Received the e-mail 3 days before departure. On the return I also signed up for Y-->C but it didn't clear, however I was able to upgrade me and the Mrs to C with points at the gate. C and Y was full, it also puzzled me that SAS didn't rather have my money than points for the C-class seats.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:30 am

You managed to get the upgrades either way, Lucky you! I assume you can not tell in advance whether you will get the upgrade or not. Also, you can not rely on last minute upgrades if you really want to travel in business.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.