Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SASs intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: SK EBG |CSA OK+ Gold | SPG Gold | CO, BD, QR, AF lowlife
Originally Posted by Malu
Ouch. Does this mean that the rules have changed? On the SAS webpage is still says that you should get point for the upgraded class. I have signed up for some upgrades in JAN but a change of rules would certainly change the businesscase...
I used optiontown only 2 weeks ago and I got points for my upgraded class, so I don't think we can conclude that.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: EBS
I have signed up too for some upgrades next month, and if this is the case, I have done it under falls circumstances.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by mikesteez
Latest developments, I got a new boarding pass with C class and a (W) in parenthesis. In my SAS account, the flight is logged as W.

This is the same as a regular points upgrade?
If this is the case, and you have gotten the upgrade but not the points, I would contact SAS CS for more information or to have them rectify the problem.

I've used optiontown a few times, and have signed up yesterday, and plan to sign up for additional upcoming flights, but if the points don't come with the upgrade anymore optiontown is useless for me. I am sure someone would have heard something about this if this is truly the case.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:12 pm

This means that I can't order a special meal, since this looks like a regular points upgrade. Also, do I have to haggle with the staff before lounge access? What about points? If they just changed the booking class, it would be great. Now I'm disappointed.
Fresh news! I've been upgraded to C on ORD-ARN. I do have a special meal this time. It will be interesting to see if I get my upgrade denied because of that. Also, if I check my trip on ViewTrip, this is what was stated on the entry flight to the US.

ARNEWR0903W07NOV. ATTN CHECK-IN UTOPSGR PLS UPGRADE TO BUSINESS ACC TO PROC SK903 07NOVUPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MGMT
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:14 pm

Fresh news! I've been upgraded to C on ORD-ARN. I do have a special meal this time. It will be interesting to see if I get my upgrade denied because of that. Also, if I check my trip on ViewTrip, this is what was stated on the entry flight to the US.

ARNEWR0903W07NOV. ATTN CHECK-IN UTOPSGR PLS UPGRADE TO BUSINESS ACC TO PROC SK903 07NOVUPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MGMT
I doubt you would get the upgrade denied because of that, more likely they'd just not be able to offer it. You should call them up to make sure it's in their notes now that you have the C.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:27 am
Suspended

I think their strategy is to upgrade only economy class customers, not the regular business class customers or the customers who also travel occasionally business full fare. Optiontown upgrade is only designed to attract the economy class customers.

Originally Posted by vilntrav
Same for me with BT. My opinion is that either Optiontown does not work properly, either Air Baltic prefers to deny from time to time this way of upgrading to customers who also travel occasionnaly Business full fare. If I am right they think we will be induced to buy Business class tickets instead of Optiontown upgrades if they deny us the latter. For me it will work for long distance flights but not for just 2 hours flights.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:56 am

Programs: EBG, Hertz Five Star, A-club Gold
I have signed up for Uto from Economy to Y+ and C, but after that I have rebooked my initial ticket to Y+. I have e-mailed Optiontown to find out if:
1. Does this mess up my Uto sign-up
2. Will I get the M-->Y+ Uto refunded
3. Make sure I still am signed up for Uto Y+ -->C

Optiontown have net responded. Any advice from felow FT:ers. The flight is in approx 1 week.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:48 am

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by williamducles
I think their strategy is to upgrade only economy class customers, not the regular business class customers or the customers who also travel occasionally business full fare. Optiontown upgrade is only designed to attract the economy class customers.
Well, my experience is different. I have very "mixed history" of flying in different classes including full fare business and sometimes first when it exists and is available. Nevertheless sometimes I get Optiontown upgrades and sometimes don't Haven't collected any statistics though. Well, that's just kind of gambling but why not? You don't loose anything beyond small transaction fee.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 5:42 am

Thumbs down

Ok, I'm back now. What happened is what follows:

I got scared at the possibility to be denied the upgrade, so I revert my special meal. No idea if it would have worked.

I arrive at ORD, the lady in the check-in disk says she can't upgrade there. I have to go to the gate. A horrific experience follows in the abysmal security check with no possibility to go through fast track, since I'm still in economy.
When I finally arrive at the gate, they have my boarding pass printed in C with a handwritten note "UTO upgrade". I then head for the lounge, and the dragon says I'm not allowed in since I've done an upgrade.

Checking my EuroBonus account, the trip is recorded as K economy discounted with a meager 1470 points.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:23 am

Sounds like a very strange experience. This is not how UTO upgrades usually work. I wonder why you didn't get the proper upgrade as usual?

Try to send UTO an email and hear whats up with that.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:50 am
Suspended

Uto upgrades don't work like that. I personally used this service many times but never faced the problems like yours. You didnt get a proper upgrade. There might be some other issues with your upgrade
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:55 am
Suspended

And it matters a lot when you get all the Business Class facilities at the cost of that small transaction fee plus some tiny fraction of the actual fare!!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I got offered this upgrade for a 5-leg intra-Europe trip. I don't see why I would do this unless I was desperate for miles?

I'm Star Gold so I have the lounge access and business check in. These are all short flights so no meals or drinks, and it would be over 150 to upgrade 4 of the legs (the 5th is SAS metal). Sounds crazy.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:40 am

Programs: EBS
Today December 1, got a new E-ticket with the upgrade from M to Y+ CPH-BKK on saturday December the 4, in bookingclass B. I had to call SAS to choose a seat. However I have not recieved any e-mail from Uptiontown.
Can anyone help me with the loadfactor on December the 22 BKK-CPH?

BTW my e-ticket from SAS says B, but, when i check my e-ticket on checkmytrip it still shows bookingclass T but in Economy Premium. Hmmm maybe I should call SAS tomorrow to be sure I will get the ponts for Y+?
On optiontown it also still looks like this "Upgrade decision pending"

Last edited by bjerregaard; Dec 1, 2010 at 12:07 pm
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by bjerregaard
Can anyone help me with the loadfactor on December the 22 BKK-CPH?
SK 972 Departing 12/22/10 - Wednesday
A0 C6 D6 J4 Z1 Y3 S1 B0 E0 M2 H0 Q0 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G0

Looking good for an upgrade.

And it is by the way not uncommon to receive the e-ticket before any notification from Optiontown. I've seen it happen both the times I got an UTO upgrade. Got the Optiontown email some hours later than the e-ticket.

Last edited by SirRagnar; Dec 1, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.