Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 5:02 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Originally Posted by LH_001
That makes sense, fassy.

Thanx for your answer. but no worries: never thought that u worked for SAS or OT. just asked u for your opinion on this, since u seem to know a lot about it. that´s all.

cheers.
There's a discussion regarding this on a nordic flier forum.
A guy used OT on a very regular basis for intra EU upgrades and had a high success rate. All of a sudden it stopped and he was declined 5 or 6 times in a row.

He then signed up again @ OT with a new email address and started getting upgraded again.

Logic?? Maybe OT/SAS has a secret threshold per user that we're not aware of?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
SK probably doesn't want you to use OT as an alternative to buying Plus tickets, so some degree of limiting is probably needed. You could of course argue that any revenue is revenue, though they will want to mitigate people perceiving OT as an alternative to paying for premium fares.

Being able to circumvent SK's pathetic IT by using a new email address doesn't surprise me at all.

But I´m still somewhat puzzled , since after I had signed up for the upgrade I learned from posts on this thread , that there was absolutely no way an upgrade would clear on a points+cash ticket. So maybe SAS has changed policy in this regard?
You can't upgrade pure award tickets with OT. Upgrading a cash+points booking has always worked in my experience.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
You can't upgrade pure award tickets with OT. Upgrading a cash+points booking has always worked in my experience.
It definitively did not work 2 years ago. I had a couple of OT upgrades denied based on that (i.E. ticket paid cash+points), it seems they changed that policy this year.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Hello guys,

I have read in a couple of threads that i cant use optiontown if the flight is to or from Japan. Is that true? any examples? i am going to visit Tokyo next year but i would like to buy a sas go ticket and try to upgrade it.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Flew the new ARN-HKG route and back recently. On the way there I had OT'd to Plus & J, on the way back only to Plus. Buyup to a higher class was available at the gate.

This is my first time using optiontown, and sadly, both pathetic feeder flights went through - meaning 2 / 4.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ermis177
Hello guys,

I have read in a couple of threads that i cant use optiontown if the flight is to or from Japan. Is that true? any examples? i am going to visit Tokyo next year but i would like to buy a sas go ticket and try to upgrade it.
You can't use OT on SK984 Tokyo to Copenhagen. SK983 Copenhagen to Tokyo is available for OT.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:49 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
OT upgrade went through on CPH - DUS.
PLUS was 6 rows ( 2x2 seats ) - 10 people.
GO was only half full.

And also went through on DUS - CPH.
PLUS was again 6 rows - 11 people.
and GO was 2/3 full.

So for once the OT upgrade was given even though GO was not full.
Maybe it had to do with the unreasonably high price I paid for it.
62 $ per way ( for some reason, I booked on the American site ).

About blocked seats in PLUS :
I have noticed on my last 4-5 OT upgraded flights that some seats seem to be blocked in PLUS.
When my OT upgrade is accepted, I reserve a seat and usually don't have a lot to choose from despite PLUS not being full.
As an example : On my most recent flight DUS - CPH I only had two seats to choose from; an aisle or a window seat next to each other on the same row.
On the plane I saw that except for two people who seemed to belong together, each person had a free seat next to them.
So either some people had cancelled their tickets or SAS had blocked seats.

And totally off topic : when these last two flights have registered, I have qualified for GOLD....
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:26 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
As a minimal practice, SK should be blocking the middle seat in PLUS until all window and aisle seats are booked/occupied.

I do find the middle seat "not occupied" in about 90% of my intra-Europe travel if I account for the past 6 months. When the middle seat do is occupied, it is usually because the entire plane is packed.

What is your EB status level?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Silver.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: A3 *G
No luck for me on SK 944 ORD-CPH this coming Tuesday - both requests to Plus & J did not go through. But given the abundance of seats in the back, maybe I'll just lay myself across four GO seats.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: SAS/A* DIAMOND/GOLD, GHA Black, HHonors Diamond
Just had me and my non-status colleague on same ticket, go through on CPH-IAD Thursday from Go to Plus. I'm EBG. I have a 60-70% succes rate on 12 flights during the last 3 years. Only special mentions; the upgrade came et the same time, as the flight changed from a 330 to a 340 and a bit earlier than normal - 3 days ahead. Does that change come from a capacity perspective? There's a popal visit in IAD at that time.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: SK EBD, AY Plat, Member TG,LH,UA,AC
I have booking for GOT-ARN-HKG on Oct 1 and return on Oct4.

I have one repetitive learning to share and one question to go.

One to share is that one should not buy one way upgrade but return upgrade. I experienced jump of the price from €400+ to €600+ once I ordered for upgrade on outbound flight. That kills me !!

One to ask : I expect to opt for SAS Plus on both flight in/outbound. Can anyone check seat availability to forecast my chance ?

Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: A3 *G; Honors Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite; IHG Diamond;
Originally Posted by coolburning
I have booking for GOT-ARN-HKG on Oct 1 and return on Oct4.

I have one repetitive learning to share and one question to go.

One to share is that one should not buy one way upgrade but return upgrade. I experienced jump of the price from €400+ to €600+ once I ordered for upgrade on outbound flight. That kills me !!

One to ask : I expect to opt for SAS Plus on both flight in/outbound. Can anyone check seat availability to forecast my chance ?

Thank you in advance.
Seat availability:
1Oct to HKG: C6 D6 Z2 R0 J0 Y0 S0 B0 P0 A0 E0 M0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 O0 G0 N0
4Oct to ARN: C9 D9 Z9 R0 J0 Y9 S9 B9 P0 A0 E9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 U9 K0 L0 T0 O0 G9 N9
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Has anyone managed to get a OT upgrade on the new arn-hkg route?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
Has anyone managed to get a OT upgrade on the new arn-hkg route?
My wife has successfully purchased and flown on a cash+points ticket if that's any help.

It is a premium heavy route so assuring your preferred cabin is going to be a better move than an upgrade gamble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.