Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SASs intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:37 am

Programs: SK *B (?)
Originally Posted by jth
Someone earlier in this thread got upgraded after he had checked in, which lead to all sorts of problems before he got it sorted out.
If you are referring to me, it wasn't that bad. Had to get a new boarding pass from a slightly confused agent, had to go through manual retro registration to get the correct amount of points, but that was the extent of the problems.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 5:07 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Scandic Top Floor, *SK-G, Choice Club Gold
rather loose money than upgrade

Nov 1 ORD-ARN

I had signed up for Y+ and C at optionstown but got neither. At the gate, I managed to upgrade for 10.000 points to Y+

There were still empty seats both in Y+ and C as far as I could see.

It is really strange that SK do not take the opportunity to make some extra money and instead rather keep these seats empty..
Old Nov 5, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: EBG
Thumbs down Got my "upgrade" today

Hi,

it seems as if I was upgraded to business on tomorrows flight ARN-EWR.

However, the reply I got was this:

Please be advised that you need to carry a print out of this email along with you and present it to the SAS personnel at the Stockholm airport to receive your upgrade.

This means that I can't order a special meal, since this looks like a regular points upgrade. Also, do I have to haggle with the staff before lounge access? What about points? If they just changed the booking class, it would be great. Now I'm disappointed.

Last edited by mikesteez; Nov 5, 2010 at 6:52 am Reason: Formatting
Old Nov 5, 2010, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by mikesteez
If they just changed the booking class, it would be great. Now I'm disappointed.
The booking class *is* changed. I'm not sure if it's done automatically at the upgrade decision point, or if it is done at check-in. You will certainly receive a boarding pass with the new booking class, and should have no problems with lounge access.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: SK EBG,Delta Medallion/FB Gold, Choice Gold,M&M SEN,Hertz No.1 Gold,Club Carlson Elite Gold,
Hi,

it seems as if I was upgraded to business on tomorrows flight ARN-EWR.

However, the reply I got was this:

Please be advised that you need to carry a print out of this email along with you and present it to the SAS personnel at the Stockholm airport to receive your upgrade.

This means that I can't order a special meal, since this looks like a regular points upgrade. Also, do I have to haggle with the staff before lounge access? What about points? If they just changed the booking class, it would be great. Now I'm disappointed.
You shouldn't be. As stated above the booking class is changed upon upgrade , you will receive full points (200%) and you will have no problem accessing the business lounge since the boarding pass you receive upon checkin will be stating C-class.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:39 pm
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
Hi,
that sounds a bit strange. Pull up your res on Amadeus (www.checkmytrip.com) and look at it. It should absolutely reflect your upgraded class. If it doesn't they must have changed something recently (Or it might be because the upgrade was done later than 24 hrs before departure, it might have to be handled at check-in).
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by jth
that sounds a bit strange.
I got the same in June, when I was upgraded a few hours before the flight.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:03 am

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by airborn
There were still empty seats both in Y+ and C as far as I could see.
It is really strange that SK do not take the opportunity to make some extra money and instead rather keep these seats empty..
Same thing with airBaltic (BT). Several times when I didn't get OT upgrade there were almost all Business class seats empty. But sometimes this upgrade works.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:26 pm

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
Originally Posted by herro
Upgrade from T->Z using Optiontown:

I did receive my new ticket today from SAS informing that I had gotten a Z ticket from CPH-ORD this Friday.

In the last sale from SK I bought a T ticket for CPH-ORD-CPH for EUR 535,- and now I have paided EUR 300,- for getting it upgraded to Z. I signed up for both EconExtra and Business upgrade. I have prepared the same for the return trip. In stead of making 2x1075 points I can make 2x8600 (both plus EBG bonus).

For me the business case is good. I get a much better travel experience and more points out of it. Of course you do not know if you will get it or not. But I will not normally getting a chance for a round trip business class ticket for EUR 1100,- with SK.

So in my world it is working as designed.

/HerrO
Just to add - the upgrade to C also went trough yesterday. So from 2K points to 21K points :-)

/HerrO
Old Nov 6, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Originally Posted by airborn
I thought Optiontown was introduced in order to make some extra money whenever they needed to upgrade pax for operational purposes, so not always giving out upgrades for free. To offer Optiontown upgrades for every vacant seat in C and Y+ would, in time, undermine the ordinary Business Class prices, as pax would stop purchasing full fare Biz, and instead gamble on OT for 50% of the price...
Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by ILS2
I thought Optiontown was introduced in order to make some extra money whenever they needed to upgrade pax for operational purposes, so not always giving out upgrades for free. To offer Optiontown upgrades for every vacant seat in C and Y+ would, in time, undermine the ordinary Business Class prices, as pax would stop purchasing full fare Biz, and instead gamble on OT for 50% of the price...
I believe true business class flyers (true as in their company pays the bill, OPM) and their travel agencies don't care for this kind of service. This is just a nice extra for mileage enthusiasts such as FTers or splurging leisure travellers. These two categories make up an extremely small percentage of the people flying business class. So I can't imagine this threatening their biz seat sales.

Also, seeing how cash strapped SAS are today they really don't have the luxury of being picky.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:37 am

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
I believe true business class flyers (true as in their company pays the bill, OPM) and their travel agencies don't care for this kind of service.
Correct. And I'm paying tickets myself, still don't care about OT.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by hbush
Same thing with airBaltic (BT). Several times when I didn't get OT upgrade there were almost all Business class seats empty. But sometimes this upgrade works.
Same for me with BT. My opinion is that either Optiontown does not work properly, either Air Baltic prefers to deny from time to time this way of upgrading to customers who also travel occasionnaly Business full fare. If I am right they think we will be induced to buy Business class tickets instead of Optiontown upgrades if they deny us the latter. For me it will work for long distance flights but not for just 2 hours flights.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by lnixon
The booking class *is* changed. I'm not sure if it's done automatically at the upgrade decision point, or if it is done at check-in. You will certainly receive a boarding pass with the new booking class, and should have no problems with lounge access.
Latest developments, I got a new boarding pass with C class and a (W) in parenthesis. In my SAS account, the flight is logged as W.

This is the same as a regular points upgrade?

I'm curious about the return flight. What if I get upgraded, but have a special meal? Then the agent will reject the upgrade per SAS policy. Am I then stuck in the void with a forfeit upgrade?
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: SK EBG
Latest developments, I got a new boarding pass with C class and a (W) in parenthesis. In my SAS account, the flight is logged as W.

This is the same as a regular points upgrade?
Ouch. Does this mean that the rules have changed? On the SAS webpage is still says that you should get point for the upgraded class. I have signed up for some upgrades in JAN but a change of rules would certainly change the businesscase...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.