Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SASs intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: MP Silver / DM /SkyMiles
Thank for all the replies.

Wow, a chocolate and a drink in PLUS from CPH-TXL? My, that's pretty pathetic (I know it's a short flight, but still). Have plenty of miles (> 200K) on United due to credit card and recently remodeling a house, so it's mainly about status, etc., and that short flight won't change my tier from Silver to Gold.

Interesting that prices weren't impacted for you. With the new 1-2-1 in business class, I assume that's a 33% reduction in the number of seats. I don't have expertflyer, but my flights (IAD-CPH) are on 8 July and (CPH-IAD) 23 July, so if, DeninDK, you have the new cabin in June, I suppose it's possible it might be depending on the rotation schedule.

That said, in PLUS, it seems like the seats may actually be a (slight) downgrade in terms of space, but they certainly look nicer (and cleaner) than the old ones..
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Before you had 6 rows of 6 seats on the A330 in old C, now you have 8 rows of 4 seats. So there is only a net loss of 4 seats.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: MP Silver / DM /SkyMiles
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Before you had 6 rows of 6 seats on the A330 in old C, now you have 8 rows of 4 seats. So there is only a net loss of 4 seats.
I see. I'll be interested to see if it's running on the IAD-CPH flight. Unlikely, as people have noted, but I suppose it'll be up by next year

Incidentally, I saw on the SAS videos for the new cabin a claim of an amenity kit in intercontinental PLUS. They had gotten rid of them a while ago, but I wonder if they're back. I still have my SAS shoe bag from a few years back that I typically use on these trips...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q3C...layer_embedded
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
By the end of May there will be 3x A330's with the new cabin, that's 75% of the A330 fleet. The question is if they'll do the last one before the summer as well, we'll see.

Either way, keep an eye on https://scandinaviantraveler.com/se/newcabin and see if the plane you're likely to end up on has been retrofitted by the time of your travel.

On my last 4 TA trips with SK on A330 I've had the new cabin 2 times, in line with expectations.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:46 pm

I'm currently at SK910 on my way home from EWR. I signed up for optiontown both ways, both classes. Towards EWR i got upgraded from Go to Plus.
20 hours before my home flight I got an email from SAS offering me upgrade to Plus for Dkk 1.599.
The price I paid earlier to Optiontown for the home flight was DKK 1.250. 16 hours before my flight I got the email from Optiontown telling I didn't get any upgrade to either class.
For the sake of it I tried the link SAS send me 10 hours before my flight and I could buy an upgrade to Plus, but didn't.
When I arrived in the airport this afternoon there was a lady selling upgrades to Plus just before the checkin counter. She was pushing the new cabin and the lounge. I asked for the price and available seats. The price was DKK 950 and there were one aisle seat and a lot of middelseats. I didn't want to give up my window seat, so I'm enjoying the new cabin from 43H.
I don't know if this is the new style from SAS, wanting to sell the free seats instead of Optiontown, but one big difference in my mind is the upgrade from SAS don’t give you the points from the higher class as Optiontown does. Buying the upgrade from SAS is similar to be upgraded for points and then I would rather use my points than paying extra money.
I don’t hope SAS is taking this business from Optiontown, since it’s a cheap way to get the extra points from the upgrades.
Old May 10, 2015, 2:23 am

The most obvious considerations for selling upgrades themselves is to remove the margin they are now paying OptionTown and to not have to award the upgraded cabin points. Although with the new earnings the difference between the various classes is marginal while the point cost of upgrades hasn't been decreased.

Partly perhaps to get more in-line with their partners. On UA you also purchase upgrades directly from them but only get points for the original booking class.

It is a shame that SK keeps killing off successful concepts. First the EB downgrades, now attempts to change this. I can see why passengers feel screwed if their OT gets shot down and then have SK offer the same upgrade at a higher price with fewer perks. If you value OT as a service, I'd recommend you boycott the upgrades SK offers. Either until they stop the initiative or get it right.
Old May 12, 2015, 11:24 am

Optiontown

Extremely disappointed with Optiontown. Flights were cancelled and they are fighting my refund. Daily I get different stories and fees, not one email supported the prior one. I will never use them again and I would like my money back. Even when they say they processed the refund, they didn't. So don't trust them.
Old May 12, 2015, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by rios
Extremely disappointed with Optiontown. Flights were cancelled and they are fighting my refund. Daily I get different stories and fees, not one email supported the prior one. I will never use them again and I would like my money back. Even when they say they processed the refund, they didn't. So don't trust them.
A bit more background would help... I assume SK cancelled the flight last minute after OT already processed the upgrade and you have been rerouted on another flight?
Old May 13, 2015, 3:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Dimling
I don't know if this is the new style from SAS, wanting to sell the free seats instead of Optiontown, but one big difference in my mind is the upgrade from SAS dont give you the points from the higher class as Optiontown does. Buying the upgrade from SAS is similar to be upgraded for points and then I would rather use my points than paying extra money.
I dont hope SAS is taking this business from Optiontown, since its a cheap way to get the extra points from the upgrades.
Nothing has changed in the policy: SK revenue management (RM) closes their bet on the flight about 72h before departure and releases the last batch of seats to uTO at that point. At the airport/onboard the actual last remaining seats are sold at a fixed price/EB points. If the RM calculation goes completely bad (which happens relatively often, BTW) the rejected uTO people are annoyed indeed...
Old May 13, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
I'm booked on SK909 on Friday in GO. 2 days ago the plane changed from the new to an old A330. My seat changed from a window up front to the aisle in the middle 34D. Then today I got an uTO to Plus. I was signed up for Business too.

There are plenty of open seats when I looked at Go, so the question is why upgrade to Plus and not Business class. Not that I'm complaining - I like Plus. The reason I had also included Business, was that I could then have a chance of flying in the refurbed Business. So it worked out rather well.

What's totally new for me, is that SAS revenue management is releasing TATL seats when GO in not overbooked. That's a great improvement!

I was looking forward to flying with one of the refurbished 330's though.
Old May 13, 2015, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gakke
I'm booked on SK909 on Friday in GO. 2 days ago the plane changed from the new to an old A330. My seat changed from a window up front to the aisle in the middle 34D. Then today I got an uTO to Plus. I was signed up for Business too.

There are plenty of open seats when I looked at Go, so the question is why upgrade to Plus and not Business class. Not that I'm complaining - I like Plus. The reason I had also included Business, was that I could then have a chance of flying in the refurbed Business. So it worked out rather well.

What's totally new for me, is that SAS revenue management is releasing TATL seats when GO in not overbooked. That's a great improvement!

I was looking forward to flying with one of the refurbished 330's though.
That was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster! If you happen to end up in new Go on your way back, make sure to give us a good review of your experience
Old May 14, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
That was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster! If you happen to end up in new Go on your way back, make sure to give us a good review of your experience
No luck there. I'm on LN-RKP from ORD. The Optiontown offer disappeared about 4 weeks ago.
Weird.
I'll have to see if I can upgrade for points to C. Plus is not worth it.
Old May 15, 2015, 4:56 am

Programs: SAS EBG (*G), Air Berlin Silver, Alitalia Ulisse & Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rios
I had a connecting flight heavily delayed in January which made me miss my SAS flight to CPH. United rebooked me in Go as they wouldn't accept my new booking class but luckily after a lot of persuasion and use of my diamond status while talking to SAS in Copenhagen I got upgraded to Business on the SAS flight like I had paid for with Optiontown for my original flight.
So sometimes you'll have to to fight for your upgrade to get moved with you if possible.
Old May 15, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: EBD
So if I cancel the ticket before any upgrade has cleared - will Optiontown refund the fee?
Old May 16, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: KL Platinum, SAS Silver
Originally Posted by Douglas
So if I cancel the ticket before any upgrade has cleared - will Optiontown refund the fee?
yes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.