Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:08 pm

Works again
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:17 am

And broken again, what's up? Taken over by SAS IT?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I already encountered severe instability yesterday evening.

The connection with SAS IT can easily be made: SAS now sends out emails to a lot of people a few days before departure asking them if they'd like to upgrade via OT. Click the link and you get a SAS dashboard on OT. The worse it, it remembers in your cache that the OT looks like that. Next time you visit OT, you'll get to the SAS portal, independent of what you want to do and for which airline... Quite inconvenient.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:21 am

Slow as hell... Now it hangs on the checkout process

At least they now offer the option to pay with Amex which I really appreciate.

EDIT: whohooo! After some more minutes waiting the checkout process cleared. It takes really it's time.

On another topic: I think they changed the pricing model. I observed my option for two weeks and even though the availability on my flight changed the OT price kept the same. I think it is now just based on the price you paid for the ticket.

It was now 173/372 and 189/409 for CPH-SFO-CPH while I paid 560 and 390 for the Go fare (all Euros). If both upgrades clear a business round fare for 1750 Euro wouldn't be to bad. Could have booked UA and AC for around the same in P but had miserable connections, bad departure and arrival times. (And of course just 100% points )
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by fassy
I think it is now just based on the price you paid for the ticket.
Can confirm: not true.

I tried to make an OT reservation a few days ago but couldn't finish the process due to an unstable website. Got it done yesterday, but it was 3 euro per leg more.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:15 am

Hmmm, my price was quite stable the last two weeks. 3€ on a short haul trip? On a long haul might have been currency rate related?

Last edited by fassy; Mar 9, 2015 at 8:43 am
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:26 am

Short haul, so in total almost 10%
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:36 pm

It seems that SAS might be cutting down on the mileage received if upgraded. I was upgraded from SAS Go to SAS Business (C Class) with Optiontown as a "Gate confirmed upgrade" and now am quite sad to see that I only received 3750 Miles for my CPH / IAD flight last week.

Has anybody else seem similar activities that miles are received for original booking class ?

Thanks,
Whuzzy
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by whuzzy
It seems that SAS might be cutting down on the mileage received if upgraded. I was upgraded from SAS Go to SAS Business (C Class) with Optiontown as a "Gate confirmed upgrade" and now am quite sad to see that I only received 3750 Miles for my CPH / IAD flight last week.

Has anybody else seem similar activities that miles are received for original booking class ?

Thanks,
Whuzzy
I got the points for my upgraded class on an intra EU fligth 10 days ago.

Optiontown to business should go into Z booking class and not C, so it would be weird if they gave you booking class C? But it of course still doesn't solve the problem, so you'll probably have to contact retro claim. I'd ask customerservice on the chat too.

I really hope this isn't something new they intend to stick to, it would completely ruin the purpose of intra EU upgrades..
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:20 pm

No, that is quite normal. If you get the "Upgrade based on availability, check at the gate" OT did not exchange your e-Ticket. The gate agent will move you to the new cabin and print you a C boarding pass if they have space and enough meals but the agent won't update the e-Ticket. Since the e-Ticket is still in Go, you did get points for Go cabin.

Do not contact SK EB retro, send a mail to OT. They will fix this ususally in less than a week and you will get the points for Z class.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
After having tried the Intra-European Optiontown upgrade for the first time, I must say that I don't quite understand why Golds and Diamonds would do this regularly.

As a Silver, it was very nice to have access to fast track - not so much because of time saved (I had plenty of time) but more because I didn't have to wait in line behind people who did not know that you can't bring a five litre shampoo through security etc.

But Golds and Diamonds have access to fast track anyway, so no benefit there.

The food and drink in the Plus/Business lounge was really disappointing. I was there around lunch time and as I was very hungry by then and refused to go out and buy a nice sandwich in Lagkagehuset which I often do, I had to eat rugbrød (rye bread) with cheese ( the white bread was orange which indicates the presence of carrots and I will not have vegetables in my bread...).
The wine was not nice at all and I have never been offered wine from a tap before.
In December I flew out of CPH in the evening on a normal Plus ticket and the Plus lounge was closing, so I got to try the Gold lounge which I found perfectly all right - much more food on offer, wine was fine, and I could mix myself a proper drink.
I can't compare with other airport lounges but I do have access to hotel lounges and compared to those the Gold lounge was on level.

So as Golds and Diamonds have access to the Gold Lounge, access to Business lounge is certainly no benefit.

There was no priority boarding, so I had to wait in line like everyone else.

And Golds and Diamonds get priority boarding anyway even on a Go ticket, so no benefit there.

I don't like the food on SAS, the sandwiches are boring and I suspect them of being of the last-several-days kind.
So I chose not to eat. In order to get some benefits for my money, I asked for a Lindt chocolate and I drank two of the Luxembourg sparkling wines which I know and like.
This is fine for an afternoon flight (leisure) but would not have been such a good idea on a morning flight.

So this is obviously a benefit also for Golds and Diamonds if they appreciate the food and drink on board (which doesn't seem to be the case judging from comments here on FT).

Last benefit was of course being able to sit in the front of the plane and being able to exit fast, which I always like - hate waiting....

This is of course a benefit for Golds and Diamonds especially in case of connecting flights.

Almost forgot, Extra points is of course a benefit for all membership levels - the flight gave 1500 points instead of 500.

Conclusion : not something I would choose to do if I was Gold or Diamond; as Silver I might choose to do it once in a while (nice enough to sit in the lounge if you have time to kill - but I would bring food).
Given the choice I would rather qualify for Gold and get fast track and access to the Gold lounge.

Last edited by helosc; Mar 20, 2015 at 7:29 am
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
You summarised it well and your explanation is probably something most people can relate to.

So when you pay for Plus as a Diamond/Gold your benefits are:
- Free of charge access to items meant for consumption on board. (Not classifying it as food)
- Seating in the front of the plane (not better seating).
- More points.

Now when you apply this to reality where the average at least Diamond member is drowning in points the last perk isn't that great. Most people have to drive after a flight, so the free booze is useless. In it's current state the food is uneatable (on intra-Europe Plus) and you are forced to pass on it. Clever strategy but very insulting. So this leaves you with a free soda and a seat in the front of the plane. Bad value for money and the easiest fix would really be to improve the food to justify the difference between Plus and Go.

I've said this before, just raise the price on Plus tickets slightly so serving better food is a financially sound decision while greatly increasing customer satisfaction. Based at ARN my intra-Europe flights are a minimum of 2 hours, it would be really great if there was something normal to eat as there isn't always time or opportunity to do so at the airport before your flight. Penny pinchers are in Go so this won't affect revenue and will most likely only increase it because you improve the product.

Last edited by FlyingMoose; Mar 20, 2015 at 7:37 am
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by helosc

I was there around lunch time (...) The wine was not nice at all and I have never been offered wine from a tap before.

In December I flew out of CPH in the evening on a normal Plus ticket (...) wine was fine, and I could mix myself a proper drink.
In order to get some benefits for my money, I asked for (...) two of the Luxembourg sparkling wines which I know and like.
This is fine for an afternoon flight.

Can we please travel together?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by CKCPH
Can we please travel together?
Ha,ha, you wouldn't want to - I normally sit in the wrong end of the plane....
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:02 am

Did an optiontown upgrade 2 days ago for a VN flight tomorrow? No answer yet. Will I get one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.