Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by munnifar
You said you got upgraded for a low fee on OT SFO-CPH - How low was that ? We are going late march 2015 and the Price tag os EUR 425 each.

Did you buy your OT well in advance ?

Thanks in advane
Is that for plus or business? For business it's a 'normal' price, yet not rock bottom, for Plus it's quite a stiff one.

I booked well ahead, about half a year in advance. I also requested OptionTown over half a year in advance.

I sent you a pm with further details.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I am on shorthaul GO ticket with an OT bid on Wednesday. I wonder if the flight will take place, and if I am rerouted, I wonder what will happen with OT upgrade, especially if it clears. Exciting
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:10 pm

Sounds like a very interesting case. Please keep us updated on the progress. And I keep my fingers crossed for you that the original flights just goes on.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by wazow
I am on shorthaul GO ticket with an OT bid on Wednesday. I wonder if the flight will take place, and if I am rerouted, I wonder what will happen with OT upgrade, especially if it clears. Exciting
Had that once on a long haul. Flight was cancelled after OT upgrade cleared and I was rerouted on UA in Y. OT refunded the bid price within the week.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by fassy
Had that once on a long haul. Flight was cancelled after OT upgrade cleared and I was rerouted on UA in Y. OT refunded the bid price within the week.
The upgrade just cleared, but the strike situation indicates that I won't have the chance to test it. or ?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:07 am

Twice I have faced IROPS with a confirmed OT upgrade (not due to strikes, simply delayed flights out of CPH) and both times the upgrade carried over to the re-route.

First instance (September 2013) was Go upgraded to Plus originally CPH>IAD>DEN and changed to CPH>ORD>DEN. This was handled by customer care in the morning when I got the SMS informing me about the delay of CPH>IAD.

Second instance (May 2014) was Go upgraded to Plus originally CPH>EWR>SAN and changed to CPH>IAD>SAN. Customer care refused to do anything about it in the morning when I got the SMS informing me about the delay of CPH>EWR despite a very tight (but legal) connection in EWR on the original itinerary. The message was "but it might be moved back to it's original departure time"... yeah, right
En-route to the airport, I got an email with an updated itinerary, courtesy of "Revenue Management" as I recall. I never found out if the customer care agent realised it was a silly answer or if someone else were pro-active.

All-in-all it worked out well for me each time with the upgrades rolling over and minimal delay in reaching my final destination.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:51 am

About short haul upgrades. I have two flights tomorrow and both of them got upgraded to Plus. This was 50 euro well spent, as it still goes for the old points.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:05 am

@AirportGeek

This only works if you are rebooked SK -> SK. If you are rebooked on another carrier you will most likely get the originally booked fare.

One of my colleagues was lucky once and was rebooked in LX C from an Option Town upgrade from Y to C. I guess this only happend because the outstation in Asia just saw the Z fare on his BP and assumed it was a generic business booking.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: SAS EBG (*G), Air Berlin Silver, Alitalia Ulisse & Hilton Gold
@AirportGeek

This only works if you are rebooked SK -> SK. If you are rebooked on another carrier you will most likely get the originally booked fare.

One of my colleagues was lucky once and was rebooked in LX C from an Option Town upgrade from Y to C. I guess this only happend because the outstation in Asia just saw the Z fare on his BP and assumed it was a generic business booking.
Yes this is exactly what will happen as they can still see the old booking class in their system. I found out the hard way in January with a delayed United flight that made me miss my ORD-CPH flight which I had been upgraded to Business on. The first agent rebooked me in Plus on SFO-CPH but after a night in SFO I had been rebooked in GO on ORD-CPH with a United flight to ORD. Very confusing and a bit stressful trip home.
Luckily I ended up in Business anyway.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:20 am

Luckily there wasn't strike at SAS yesterday, so no chance to try the above myself.

DY had cancelled all domestic flights in Norway, so you can imagine the chaos at OSL... It was relatively quiet at security and airside though...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:06 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I have just tried the Optiontown Upgrade intra-Europe for the first time.
It's now cleared.
I could choose a seat for free on SAS.dk but my booking still says SAS GO.

Optiontown informs me that I have to bring a print-out of the email, why is that?
(I am normally flying paperless as I print boarding passes in the self-service kiosks).
I am assuming that my boarding pass will say PLUS (does it?), so I can't see the need for a print out ( I am Silver so I need a PLUS ticket to access fast track and lounge ).
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by helosc
I have just tried the Optiontown Upgrade intra-Europe for the first time.
It's now cleared.
I could choose a seat for free on SAS.dk but my booking still says SAS GO.

Optiontown informs me that I have to bring a print-out of the email, why is that?
(I am normally flying paperless as I print boarding passes in the self-service kiosks).
I am assuming that my boarding pass will say PLUS (does it?), so I can't see the need for a print out ( I am Silver so I need a PLUS ticket to access fast track and lounge ).
Congrats on your first short haul upgrade.

The mail from UTo by default reads to bring a printed copy. If you manage to check in online in the upgraded booking class, then there's no real need to. I actually am too lazy to even bother printing it and no one ever refused to get me in the proper seat.

You may just have to wait a little for the booking to be changed in SAS' IT systems. If it hasn't changed before you can check in (never happened to me), you may bring a printed copy.

Boarding passes should show Plus and your new booking class, for example CA, so you should have no trouble getting into fast tracks and lounges.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:53 am

Thank you very much.
Yes I had to try the optiontown now that it is available on intra-European flights.
I'll wait and see what happens then.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:15 am

Hmm, is OT working for you at the moment? Looking up the next PNR just shows an endless page loading loop...
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:56 am

Hmm, is OT working for you at the moment? Looking up the next PNR just shows an endless page loading loop...
Just checked and is not working - endless loading loop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.