Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Now my customer called me the day before travel and cancelled the meeting. [..] The ticket stayed locked, unchangeable and will just expire when I do not show up.
Well, I dont see you problem here, since the customer will eventually pay for the lost ticket.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
Well, I dont see you problem here, since the customer will eventually pay for the lost ticket.
No, why should they? Not all of us can charge the customer for travel. I'm working in (technical sales), we do not get a single trip paid by the customer. My company pays all my travel hoping we will get awarded some big project some day which will recover the expenses.

Anyway, I probably should have called OT. Will do next time although I found their hotline the last couple of times I dealt with them rather help- and useless.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Ok, just to post an OptionTown upgrade success here, I just got confirmed that I got a Y+ seat to SFO.

As both the ticket and the upgrade had been issued long before the announced 'enhancements' in EB, it will be fun to try getting the full points now.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: SK-EBD*G, AF Ivory, Hertz Pres Circle, SPG, Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by UltraRant
As both the ticket and the upgrade had been issued long before the announced 'enhancements' in EB, it will be fun to try getting the full points now.
No need to worry, I had the same situation to PEK in early Jan. During European business hours it took less than 2 hours between my mail to SAS support and additional points being posted on my account.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: KL Platinum, SAS Silver
Originally Posted by pswe
No need to worry, I had the same situation to PEK in early Jan. During European business hours it took less than 2 hours between my mail to SAS support and additional points being posted on my account.
did you just write to [email protected]? We were family of four i guess i should get my extra 8k total points..
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: SK-EBD*G, AF Ivory, Hertz Pres Circle, SPG, Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by DeninDK
did you just write to [email protected]? We were family of four i guess i should get my extra 8k total points..
no, as Diamond I used the diamond adress, SAS sent out mail with this info short after the new earning tables were presented. Same info was sent to gold members referring them to the gold adress. (but I assume same rules apply for all, but handling time probably differs between the various mailboxes)
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by pswe
That's good news. I've also read quite different experiences here, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
If I get upgraded on a European flight isn't there a high chance I will end up in the middle seat, as upgrades occur very close to depature and they will take my upgrade especially when the flight is pretty full?

I figure in this case it's better to stay in the back for a 2,5h flight.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:16 am

To my experience the Upgrade process seems to be different than on long haul, I have been upgraded a lot of times on European routes to Plus even though Go wasn't full - never ended up in the middle seat as well. All upgrades cleared 2 or 3 days in advance and I could just select a good seat during OLCI. Perhaps the elite seat blocking did the rest then.

Anyway, with the new earnings it is not a very attractive offer anymore... Nobody does it for better service
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by FlyEurope
If I get upgraded on a European flight isn't there a high chance I will end up in the middle seat, as upgrades occur very close to depature and they will take my upgrade especially when the flight is pretty full?

I figure in this case it's better to stay in the back for a 2,5h flight.
This.

Originally Posted by fassy
To my experience the Upgrade process seems to be different than on long haul, I have been upgraded a lot of times on European routes to Plus even though Go wasn't full - never ended up in the middle seat as well. All upgrades cleared 2 or 3 days in advance and I could just select a good seat during OLCI. Perhaps the elite seat blocking did the rest then.

Anyway, with the new earnings it is not a very attractive offer anymore... Nobody does it for better service
Confirmed.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by fassy
Thanks, you're probably right. I got intrigued as it was only 30 EUR, but all I'll get for this is the meal, fast track and 200% miles (instead if 100%) with A3, which is about 950 more in this case. So now I am thinking if it's really worth it. Though 30 EUR isn't a that big loss. Only thing I really wanted to avoid is ending up in the middle seat
Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:22 pm

Depends if you need to re-qualify for status on the relatively cheap. As confirmed above: it's not for better service that one chooses Plus...

I got a few intra-Europe flights on the waiting list with UTo. Since I already got 90.000 points booked and confirmed for requal this year (year ends September 30), I actually started to wonder why on earth I did that. A few for the novelty value of being able to do so on intra-Europe flights, but furthermore I think I'm stupid: there's no additional value for those 31 Euro.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:24 am

What I have experience is that if the flight is overbooked Optiontown goes through. If not, point upgrade is possible. That have given me a upgrade hitrate of around 90%.

/M
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Originally Posted by FlyEurope
Thanks, you're probably right. I got intrigued as it was only 30 EUR, but all I'll get for this is the meal, fast track and 200% miles (instead if 100%) with A3, which is about 950 more in this case. So now I am thinking if it's really worth it. Though 30 EUR isn't a that big loss. Only thing I really wanted to avoid is ending up in the middle seat
Just got optiontown offer on BRU-ARN at 55 EUR. At 30-40 I would do, but 55 seems a bit steep as I already have diamond privileges and 1.000 ekstra point in my World is worth 10-15 EUR.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Does OT work if I book a ticket via Wideroe to one of the smallest airports in Norway? Main routes are with SAS like HEL-OSL-KKN and the rest with Wideroe, but all in the same ticket. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.