FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1041467-optiontown-com-paid-upgrades-sas.html)

vd0t Nov 11, 14 1:35 pm

Can I use OT even if the flights were not booked on the SAS website? How about codeshare flights?

fassy Nov 11, 14 1:53 pm

Yes, where you book doesn't matter. Also Codeshares works - as long as the operating carrier is SK, of course it does not work for a SK codeshare on UA metal.

vd0t Nov 11, 14 2:16 pm

Ah yes, I meant codeshare where the operating carrier is SAS :) Thanks for the confirmation. Looking forward to using this service.

SAAB900 Nov 13, 14 12:23 am

When applying for an upgrade for two passengers on the same PNR, does each passenger have to apply for their upgrade separately, or does a single application include upgrades for both passengers?

(Sorry if this topic has been discussed earlier; I skimmed this thread, but couldn't find the answer to my question. The OT website isn't clear about this topic either.)

Frequie Nov 13, 14 2:29 am

A single application should cover both on the same PNR.

Either both of you will then be upgraded - or none of you.

SAAB900 Nov 13, 14 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Frequie (Post 23834916)
A single application should cover both on the same PNR.

Either both of you will then be upgraded - or none of you.

Good to know. Thanks!

Abducted Alien Nov 13, 14 5:38 am

My friends OT bid for May 2015 HEL-ARN-AMS return would be 4x42EUR as 168+1€ more.
P fare today for PLUS for same flights is total 447€. Calculating then upgrade fare 4x66,75€ for each segment.

Already booked GO fare 180€ would end up total of 348€ if through. That is almost same as A fare was that day of booking. Yes there is a little discount today, but I think IŽll go with A fares if available.

SK2751 Nov 13, 14 12:40 pm

I was thinking similarly. If buying early it may pay off to buy PLUS directly. I thought though that this may be a nice way to upgrade employer paid GO (my employer disallows PLUS). Although, I was actually wondering whether one could not try to call SK and ask the sales ticket to upsell at the time of buying. Have done such things with airlines in North America with no problem. Never tried with SK.

fassy Nov 13, 14 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by wazow (Post 23837295)
I was thinking similarly. If buying early it may pay off to buy PLUS directly. I thought though that this may be a nice way to upgrade employer paid GO (my employer disallows PLUS). Although, I was actually wondering whether one could not try to call SK and ask the sales ticket to upsell at the time of buying. Have done such things with airlines in North America with no problem. Never tried with SK.

I'm in the same situation, my company only books in economy on flights below 5 hours. Even if a Eco plus or business ticket is cheaper from time to time ;)

Was just traveling on an Austrian full fare Y ticket while cheaper C tickets were available.

Anyway, I tried to call SAS for paying the fare difference and to make it short: it does not work for me as we book the flights through a corporate TA and SAS cannot modify it. It might work if you book your ticket direct with SAS.

THD Nov 14, 14 7:49 am

If it is a corporate TA where you have dedicated people to your company, and have a good relationship with them, fassy, perhaps you can ask the TA if you can pay to upgrade privately on your own cost. That has worked for me in the past.

SK2751 Nov 14, 14 9:18 am

Our TA (CWT) has refused similar request on my side (adding a private cost to a ticket, or even buying for a ticket privately). But my relationship with them is in perils for years. I consider them an obstacle to efficient travel, not a service.

nussle Nov 14, 14 12:45 pm

Race down.....

Originally Posted by THD (Post 23840981)
If it is a corporate TA where you have dedicated people to your company, and have a good relationship with them, fassy, perhaps you can ask the TA if you can pay to upgrade privately on your own cost. That has worked for me in the past.

Tried it, no it cannot be done so the airline helps itself to race to the bottom as everytime they make a cheaper ticket the company TA is required to "always choose the lowest fare" so we keep moving down.

On the plus side I have found that I can use my points to upgrade (I cannot cash buy and option town does not work on my ticket for some reason) so for 15K points I can move up a level and thats ok for me. It is standby option.

I would love to get a better ticket and I don't want to travel at the bottom but the rules are the rules and the only ticket i am allowed to have is whatever is the cheapest and the TA locks it so nobody but them can change it.

fassy Nov 14, 14 4:26 pm

Unfortunately our corporate TA is also an external company, not inhouse. So, 0 chance to make a deal with them.

And since I changed company - the new TA is bad... really, really rock bottom bad :(

Might have worked at the old company with their TA. They have been nice and helpful but I guess if in the end it comes to billing, payment and paper pushing all external TAs would bail out of deals like that. Too much work, too much risk something goes sour.

nussle Nov 15, 14 2:19 am

Originally Posted by fassy (Post 23843470)
Unfortunately our corporate TA is also an external company, not inhouse. So, 0 chance to make a deal with them.

And since I changed company - the new TA is bad... really, really rock bottom bad :(

Might have worked at the old company with their TA. They have been nice and helpful but I guess if in the end it comes to billing, payment and paper pushing all external TAs would bail out of deals like that. Too much work, too much risk something goes sour.

So Fassy, you are in the same boat as all of us. External TA whose role it is to ALWAYS get the cheapest lowest cost ticket under all and any circumstance.

I find these tickets are always locked and I have tried taking them to the SAS counter in Arlanda to try and upgrade them (even with my own cash) but the reply is always "talk to your TA". TA will not upgrade anything his job is rock bottom prices nothing more.

They do not work with OT as an upgrade but perhaps they will work with standby points (will try in a few weeks).

Everytime I see the airlines make a move down in service, seat pitch and meals I shudder knowing that this will be my next flight and there is sweet FA I can do about it.

fassy Nov 15, 14 8:04 am

No, OT works for me.