Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Transit from UA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Question LHR Transit from UA

We'll be on 2 separate tickets, arriving with UA at LHR and then continuing with SK.
(T1-->T3)

The main question is whether 95 minutes is unreasonable (the alternative is 6 hours).

If we miss the SK flight, will they allow us to go standby on a later flight?

I'm not sure I understand SK fare classes/rules. On the website, the ticket classes are not well-described. If we buy Economy tickets, but more expensive ones, is this an advantage in irrops in terms of having an easier time getting on a later flight?

Am I correct in understanding that our bags can be checked-thru? (The return is not an issue as we will be spending some time in London.)

Is there anyone with knowledge/experience who has any useful advice?
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: SK EBG |CSA OK+ Gold | SPG Gold | CO, BD, QR, AF lowlife
LHR is, imho, one of the most annoying airports in Europe in regards to security and therefore it may take some time to transit (it is not as annoying as landing in a US airport from an international flight though). However, 95 minutes should be plenty of time and I wouldn't worry about that.

With SK, if you miss the first connection due to delay, you should have no problems getting on a different flight out of LHR regardless of class (presuming you're checking in all the way, which should be alright with UA->SK). I've been delayed in LHR 3 times where I missed my flight connecting to a SK flight to CPH. None of the times did I have any problems getting on a different flight (except once where I had to stay for a night at an airport hotel) - and I always flew on heavily discounted tickets.

Bag can be checked through, no problem. UA and SK usually work great together.

Last edited by SirRagnar; Jan 16, 2010 at 10:08 am
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
95 mins should be fine as long as the incoming flight is not very late or if the check-in agent in the US refuses to interline the luggage (varies from airline to airline, not to mention check-in agent).
If you are forced to reclaim and recheck luggage at LHR (including having to deal with immigration) 95 mins won't be enough.

Originally Posted by schwarm
If we miss the SK flight, will they allow us to go standby on a later flight?
Well if you buy a discounted economy class tickets (not rebookable) and they follow the rules they will say you missed your flight and ask you to buy a new ticket.
They have absolutely no obligations to help you in this case.
Standby is not something that is generally available in Europe unless you have a full-fare/flexible ticket.

However if both flights are on one ticket and you miss the connection at LHR then they will obviously rebook you to a later flight.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Is "Economy Extra" the cheapest rebookable?

We'll be on 2 separate tickets, arriving with UA at LHR and then continuing with SK.
(T1-->T3)
Separate tickets is unavoidable.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 4:51 am

Programs: SAS EB.G. UA 1P
I´ve done excactly this many times, flying with UA to london and connecting to SK on 2 seperate tickets.

I´ve been successful almost every time, and i have had no problems having the baggage checked through to CPH. But just so you know, some things could go wrong. Already, 95 minutes is not a long time if you get in at a busy time.

Last time i forgot to ask them to check the baggage all the way, and my flight also got delayed coming in to LHR. With 60minutes to go for my next flight i rushed through passport with amazing speed just to find myself waiting around for my baggage which didnt show up in the end(had to fill out a report).
Ran from T1 to T3 but missed the SK flight.

No help from SAS as i was on a heavy discounted ticket, and had to buy a new ticket.
And still messing around with issues from the baggage situation.

So just to have you know, especially in LHR, things could go wrong, so be prepared and it will probably be OK.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 5:37 am

Programs: too many to list
Separate tickets is unavoidable.
If on separate tickets, I would myself not try to push my luck with a short connection - especially at LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.