Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

How to use the EBG 48 hours guarantee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb

I might need to fly from Paris to Bangkok right after Christmas and thought about flying SAS in C using the EBG guarantee, since SAS flight CPH BKK is full.

How does it work to use this guarantee?

here are some questions:
- is it only C class or also D class and/or Y class?
- will I get the C miles in case I am downgraded in eco? (i guess it is voluntary downgrade in that case)
- when do they confirm the travel class? at boarding only?
- can a travel agent book the ticket for me?
- can I buy a C ticket at a later day, and then call 48 hours before my preferred flight and get my C ticket changed and confirmed on the fully booked flight? even if the travel has not begun and ticket has been booked via TA?
- can I get a refund in case i need to cancel my EBG confirmed ticket within the 48 hours window
- does the guarantee apply on any through fare in C or just on the one way fare CPH BKK? For instance, would the following be possible: CDG SK CPH SK-EBG-seat BKK TG SYD?

I have never used this benefit, tak for jeres hjælp, kiitos avustanne!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:01 am

Here are the things I know

- is it only C class or also D class and/or Y class?
C-klass only as I remember it

- will I get the C miles in case I am downgraded in eco? (i guess it is voluntary downgrade in that case)
I am sure you will cause you will be booked in C in the system and then downgraded at gate so still C-class in the system

- when do they confirm the travel class? at boarding only?
Probably at the gate after they see if all people actually arrived, they dont wanna downgrade an EBG with a C-class unless they really have to

- can a travel agent book the ticket for me?
Yes..it is a command in the booking system including the EBG-number so anyone can do it.

- can I buy a C ticket at a later day, and then call 48 hours before my preferred flight and get my C ticket changed and confirmed on the fully booked flight? even if the travel has not begun and ticket has been booked via TA?
I cant see no problem doing that

- can I get a refund in case i need to cancel my EBG confirmed ticket within the 48 hours window
It is C-klass so refund is possible always

- does the guarantee apply on any through fare in C or just on the one way fare CPH BKK? For instance, would the following be possible: CDG SK CPH SK-EBG-seat BKK TG SYD?
Yes it is per segment so would be no problem.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:29 am

1) It used to be that D-class was OK intra Europe, but recently I was told by two agents I had to book in C. This was the 24h EBP, but guess rules have changed even for EBG.

2) When you book you get confirmed in Business Class, then you will not be downgraded. When confirmed it is as any other reservation. The reason for this rule (that many misunderstands) is that they might be willing to confirm you in Economy Class only, but with a C-ticket still. I have never ever stumbled upon a agent that has even mentioned this. So in reality it works as a regular Business Class booking.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:48 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SK_RSJ
2) When you book you get confirmed in Business Class, then you will not be downgraded. When confirmed it is as any other reservation. The reason for this rule (that many misunderstands) is that they might be willing to confirm you in Economy Class only, but with a C-ticket still. I have never ever stumbled upon a agent that has even mentioned this. So in reality it works as a regular Business Class booking.
The class-not-guaranteed would be more applicable on intercontinental flights where one cannot simple move the virtual curtain.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:46 am

The "not guaranteed class", again, means that the agent might tell you they are not able to confirm a seat in Business Class - then thatīs it, spend your money in Economy Class to your liking.
But, if the agent confirms you in Business Class you are in Business Class. A confirmed C-class ticket is a confirmed C-class ticket.
Same goes for regional, long haul, space shuttle...
Correct me if I am wrong (and I have used the guarantee many a times) but booking a C-class ticket using the Guarantee doesnīt mean you risk being downgraded at gate or such. If they force you in to Economy Class (paying for a C fare basis) you will be informed at time of reservation, and can take a grown up decision, that you will be confirmed in Economy Class only and that it is still worth the dollars.
It is not like your C-BP is marked with a big "PLEASE DOWNGRADE IF POSSIBLE" stamp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.