Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

EBG member stop flying SAS/Star alliance

EBG member stop flying SAS/Star alliance

Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down EBG member stop flying SAS/Star alliance

After saving points for several years, me and my girlfriend planned to spend 140,000 points on flights to Dubai. When booking I was told the tax / fuel surcharge since July means that in addition to the 140k points we would have to pay £314 per passenger extra! When asking how that could be when BA and Emirates are selling flights at roughly the same cost on same date including tax/fuel; no reply.

How can it be legal to change the terms retroactively? If I'd known this 5 years ago I would have chosen someone else for my 200 flights during these years. I certainly will going forward
Mats
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:16 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Welcome to the club of frustrated EuroBonus members. In my opinion, points are now only good for hotel stays (weekends) and First Class lounghaul, even though there will be surcharges for the latter it's still value for money (considering original price).
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SK Silver, PC Platinum, FB Platinum, BA
Totally agree with you... therefore I changed to M&M and at least got op-up frequently since then... award ticket was the huge benifit of EB before, now only hotels left...
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:28 am

Programs: EBS
and maybe upgrades on SAS IC
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:00 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
I still don't understand why they don't give the option to pay the fuel surcharge (and possibly taxes) using points?!
The whole concept of getting a free ticket (which you may have "worked" quite hard to accomplish) is totally ruined when you have to pay taxes that equal nearly a cheap economy class ticket on the same route.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:30 am

Programs: SK*G, FB Plat, BA-GGL
that is just outrageous. £319 Fuel charge + 70.000 points to Dubai is a robbery.

I understand why they need the 25% rule, and why thay put it on V-class and all that. I have no problem with it, and still use SAS and BA as much as I can.

But devaluating points as much as this is... well, a robbery!

BA's return ticket LHR-DXB is £393.
Norwegian return ticket OSL-DXB is about £290.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:57 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Keep sending complaints to SAS every time you come across outrages examples like this. It doesn't take any longer than posting anything on here. It probably won't change anything, but hopefully prevent it from getting any worse. And believe me; Core-SAS is capable of making things a lot worse.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 5:29 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Points are still worth it if you do C awards... fees are generally the same... but the saved cost of the ticket price is naturally tenfold...
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: EY Silver, SPG Platinum
With these kind of situations with the crazy fuel surcharge and large number of points required, EuroBonus is doing much more bad than good to SAS - and the company should definitely do one of the following to fix the situation of currently scaring their best customers away:

- improve EuroBonus to what it used to be and thus get SAS back to where they used to be as an airline
or
- get rid of EuroBonus (or make it much less important) and SAS leaves Star Alliance in order to focus on the low cost carrier model and try hopelessly competing in this area against Ryanair and Norwegian (like Aer Lingus has done hopelessly in Ireland)
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by naitkris
- improve EuroBonus to what it used to be and thus get SAS back to where they used to be as an airline
or
- get rid of EuroBonus (or make it much less important) and SAS leaves Star Alliance in order to focus on the low cost carrier model and try hopelessly competing in this area against Ryanair and Norwegian (like Aer Lingus has done hopelessly in Ireland)
Ehm. SK will, with the current workforce, never be able to have the same cost level as FR or DY. They need to focus one way or the other to be better.

Leaving *A would mean suddenly being competitors to LH with friends. I fear that would eradicate a lot of the rather well running routes to middle Europe, effectively making SK a domestic/Scandinavian airline.

No, to get this traing back on track; increase the benefits that only SK offers... that being alliance network, bonus programme and the likes...
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: NWA/Delta Diamond,CX GLD,Amex PLT,HH DMND VIP,A-Club PLT,SPG PLT,Marriott SILV,Hertz GLD, SIXT PLT
It's outrageous!

I went to Brazil on Air Canada and used my EBB frequent flyer number and the return trip on an intercontinental flight in full fare economy class has produced less than 3000 points and to fly to Mexico they require 100000 points on certain days! I think that SAS does not have a future with such greedy mileage accrual policy...
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Originally Posted by BorerFlyer
It's outrageous!

I went to Brazil on Air Canada and used my EBB frequent flyer number and the return trip on an intercontinental flight in full fare economy class has produced less than 3000 points and to fly to Mexico they require 100000 points on certain days! I think that SAS does not have a future with such greedy mileage accrual policy...
What class was that? The EB chart says every eco class except L should give 100% points.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
No one complaining to government agencies and the press in SK's home markets?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:40 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
No one complaining to government agencies and the press in SK's home markets?
Why bother? People who fly with SAS want to fly with them specifically, so they accept the current and future changes. People who care about service level, onboard service, frequent flyer benefits etc. have already switched to other airlines and do not care what SAS does.

Win-Win situation, everyone gets what they want. Some people just get it from some other airline than SAS.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:02 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
I would not choose an airline based solely on what kind of redemption tickets they give. As long as they give enough mileage flying using flexible Y or above to keep the highest level, that is enough.

*A has the best priority luggage scheme among the alliances, apparently also op-ups more frequently than the OW companies I know, and it is always handy to be able to use *A lounges and business/first check-in.

The frequent flyer programs currently are clearly focusing on the quality (and the revenue) of the flights, not the quantity (and losses).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.