News from Estonian Air

Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, LH SEN
News from Estonian Air

After making big promises and already adding the new planes to the schedule it is allowed to doubt that Estonian Air will get any planes from Candair. The management from OV has also given false statements to the media about the whole story.
The truth is that OV is out of money and their credit rating is so bad that there won't be any new planes before 2011.
According to my information (from some members of the Estonian Government) the deal with Candair, OV and the leasing company was put on hold until OV can proof some financial backup (which won't happen if the
Estonian Prime Minister is still refusing to sell the shares to SAS).
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:17 am

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
Does that mean that there is at least 1 CRJ-900 painted in OVs livery stored in Canada? This was seen flying in mid-August
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:08 am

Programs: Various
I can imagine this is true but I wonder why SAS would want to buy shares when in reality they want to sell their shares if they could find someone willing to buy them.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:16 am

Programs: SK*(LT)G, AY
Originally Posted by Someone83
Does that mean that there is at least 1 CRJ-900 painted in OVs livery stored in Canada? This was seen flying in mid-August
According to airfleets.net there's 2 on order and have registrations.

But SAS announced in February or smth. that they want to sell OV. Have they quietly returned to the wish to buy?

Cash position, credit rating and debts are different issues, but I recall OV saying they are almost debt-free in the end of summer. Of course, buying new planes with a loan demands much more credibility.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 5:26 am

Programs: EB
about SAS shares and new aircraft

According to the recent news SAS is selling its shares in Estonian Air and not buying.

The agreement on new aircraft acquisition was signed before the worldwide finacial crises, but the delivery time did fall into a period where the conditions for such big agreements are very much different.
The aircraft will come and Estonian Air is continuing to work on the agreement's financial details.
That is the reason why the aircraft are not in Estonia yet.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:11 am

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
One of the likely buyers is BT in a joint venture with Lithuanian and Latvian Governments. Lithuanians are looking for someone to fill the gap after FlyLAL bancruptcy, and idea of one airline for all Baltic states is more or less popular among politicians.
The only party who is strongy objecting this... is Estonian Air! I'm not sure if anyone else apart from OV employees will miss OV too much.....
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:47 am

There is nothing new about the idea of the joint aviation company, it has been up for several years ago and then buried again.
The question is what will it change from now on? Does it thrill to follow Lithuanian scenario - to fly from Riga airport instead of having direct flights? Economically it does make sence to form such a company only, if Estonians and Lithuanians will fly through Riga, not directly.

Last edited by Ilona; Oct 13, 2009 at 7:48 am
Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
Ilona, great to see Estonian Air press girl is represented here, you could also mention it in your profile, maybe?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:06 am

Yes, I am looking how to do this - to add it into my profile, Just joined you today!

Last edited by Ilona; Oct 13, 2009 at 7:18 am
Old Oct 13, 2009, 9:37 am

Dear Ilona, it is indeed great to see you here!

You are absolutely right that pan-baltic airline would concentrate around feeding pax to Riga hub, however if all 3 Governments will be the owners they can say their word about maintaining some direct flights out of TLL and VNO.

I'm flying OV in average a couple of times per week, but only to CPH/ARN/VNO, sometimes OSL. Where else I can fly given the frequency of OV service to other destinations? It might be suitable for leasure travellers if there is just 1-2 flights per week, but for most of us here who flying every week and even several times per week, anything less than daily service is usually out of question, we need to see our families and also be at office too sometimes. That's why I'm saying departure of OV would not change things dramatically.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Originally Posted by another_shot
I'm flying OV in average a couple of times per week, but only to CPH/ARN/VNO, sometimes OSL. Where else I can fly given the frequency of OV service to other destinations?
I fully agree with you. OV used to fly 9x weekly to LGW, now it's only 2x weekly. The last 2 times I flew to London, my only option on the days I had to fly there was BT via RIX. If OV can't manage to offer a daily service to the largest city (by metro area definition) in Europe (London), then I don't have much hope that OV can offer daily services to any other major cities also.

So at that point, OV might as well just merge into BT and be done with it. I'm sure there are a number of efficiencies to be gained by removing many redundant functions.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by jfidler
I fully agree with you. OV used to fly 9x weekly to LGW, now it's only 2x weekly.
I used to fly OV to LGW quite often in late 90s and early 00s, they were 6x weekly (except Saturdays), 2+3 generous layout and a choice(!) of hot meals in business class, that were the times! ^
Also I remember AirBaltic was nothing more but just a RIX-ARN/CPH shuttle at that time. We can see how that changed through the years
What also makes the overall impression is interior appearance, BT has the same old 737s but they at least invested to refurbuish interior and install a new generation seats (most of airplanes), those thin seats making more leg room and convertable seats in C providing a reasonable comfort, while OV degraded their C to Y+ and seat covers are weared to 3rd world country standard.
I used to be proud of OV being my home country flag carrier some 10 years ago but now it is in so sad state that I wouldn't mind someone else to take the things over.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:48 am

Welcome Ilona! If I were You, I would insert into the location line "Estonian Air".

Originally Posted by another_shot
I'm flying OV in average a couple of times per week, but only to CPH/ARN/VNO, sometimes OSL.
Would You prefer even these flights to go via RIX, which is the case in VNO? It also limits the access to Scandinavian hubs that means choices. Baltic countries are actually much more different than Scandinavian ones in their views, history, culture. Maybe in 50 years time we understand it is not always wise to shoot another shot , but for now there ain't many political agreements.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by tiltslope
Would You prefer even these flights to go via RIX, which is the case in VNO?
BT still have VNO-CPH twice daily, VNO-ARN twice daily by JZ, VNO-TLL freq varies but also direct, so it is not much different. There is no proof that BT would axe all direct routes, this is simply the only argument OV still have.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 5:56 am

To make sure, I only present personal views. No hidden agenda. Stopping VNO-ARN in spring, when VNO was almost competition free, gave me these severe doubts about the good intentions. Later they have replied to lithuanians that there is not enough demand to other routes, only promoting RIX options.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.