Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mortons SteakHouse San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Mortons SteakHouse San Francisco

Had supper at Mortons in July and wasn't overly impressed. I got the filet mignon and it just wasn;t that great. Went to Ruth Chris in Anahiem last year and was a much better place. What are you guys opinions of Morton's in San Fran?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
I haven't tried the one in SF but Morton's are hit and miss. The ones in LA and Costa Mesa are great. The one in Vegas is so-so. The one in Crystal City (VA) is subpar.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
SF is not a big steak house city. I would bet that most of the patrons are the tourist crowd. I've lived in the area for 24 years and I don't recall a single visit to a traditional-type steak house around here.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:30 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I am a fan of the House of Prime Rib on Van Ness.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat / HH Diamond
All the Morton's locations here in the Chicago area have never been disappointing.

Steaks are always great and the service exemplary.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nnn
I am a fan of the House of Prime Rib on Van Ness.
Yes, but it isn't a steakhouse. I suppose the quintessential local steakhouse is Harris'. I've never been. http://www.harrisrestaurant.com/
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:18 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Yes, but it isn't a steakhouse. I suppose the quintessential local steakhouse is Harris'. I've never been. http://www.harrisrestaurant.com/
Food's great, but quite pricey
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
I did look at their menu, and it is consistent with the major steak houses, and the wine list seemed more reasonable.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:56 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
if oyu wanta big piece of beef

Harris' is the place - I went once and have never forgotten it. It was awesome!

There's also Lark Creek Steak in the Westfield Center downtown which
I have heard was good but VERY pricey for what you get. And it's in a mall ;(
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chronicle Review

Michael Bauer updated his review of Morton's this week. The food got zero stars:

When I finally did start on my main course, I realized I needed to offer a second apology to any food I've criticized in the past year; by comparison, everything I've had at other places was French Laundry quality. The steak was burned and acrid, and the lobster tail was mushy, as if it had been frozen and thawed multiple times.

The Chicken Christopher ($33) consisted of three huge cutlets coated with what tasted like sweetened bread crumbs, swimming in beurre blanc with bits of raw garlic, decorated with a limp sprig of parsley and a wedge of lemon. It looked and tasted terrible.

Creamed spinach was long on nutmeg - that was the only thing I tasted - and seemed to have no salt. Thank goodness for the baked potato, which had a crisp, slightly leathery skin and tasted great slathered with sour cream and chives.

We ate very little and took the meat to the dog.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0z2ts93qL
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Not only is Harris' good, it has a historical link to one of the great San Francisco restaurants of the postwar era - Grison's Steakhouse, which was for many years regarded as one of the very best steakhouses west of Chicago and Kansas City.

For a (smallish) chain operation, I also like Bob's, in tjhe Omni Hotel in the Financial District.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squeakr
There's also Lark Creek Steak in the Westfield Center downtown which
I have heard was good but VERY pricey for what you get. And it's in a mall ;(
The Lark Creek properties are all great. Try to get a place at the Chef's Counter and enjoy the show.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I would disagree

Originally Posted by Palal
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Not only is Harris' good, it has a historical link to one of the great San Francisco restaurants of the postwar era - Grison's Steakhouse, which was for many years regarded as one of the very best steakhouses west of Chicago and Kansas City.
I have been to Morton's in other cities, and I've been happy with the food there. The steaks are fine. Nothing super amazing, but nothing really bad.

Harris' however, it just not good at all. I have been to Harris' about 4 times now, and every single time, I am thinking, "Maybe it's an off night." The steaks are simply uninspiring and 'blah'. Bobo's has wayyyyy better steaks than Harris's; there is no comparison. Bobo's has horrible side dishes, however, and its ambiance is horrible, but the dry-aged steaks are amazing. Most steak houses are wet-aged, which means that they really don't have that great flavor. I have been to Harris's 4 times (always on someone else's dime), and I would never go there if I were paying.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:35 am

Programs: SK*G, IC RA
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Harris' however, it just not good at all. I have been to Harris' about 4 times now, and every single time, I am thinking, "Maybe it's an off night." The steaks are simply uninspiring and 'blah'. Bobo's has wayyyyy better steaks than Harris's; there is no comparison. Bobo's has horrible side dishes, however, and its ambiance is horrible, but the dry-aged steaks are amazing. Most steak houses are wet-aged, which means that they really don't have that great flavor. I have been to Harris's 4 times (always on someone else's dime), and I would never go there if I were paying.
I very much disagree.

I haven't been to Bobo's so cannot compare with that - but in my opinion Harris' steaks are VERY good. Had dinner there 3 days ago (on company dime ) and was excellent as always. And great atmosphere as well!
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:37 am

+1 to trying Bobos or House of Prime Rib. Neither has the business-y atmosphere of a traditional steak-house (or Harris').

Avoid the "chains" that you've seen everywhere. The only reason they exist here (I suspect) is for tourists/biz travellers who want something familiar. No focus on repeat visitors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.