FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   Chapeau! - Very nice San Francisco French bistro - photo report (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/936491-chapeau-very-nice-san-francisco-french-bistro-photo-report.html)

Jet2K Mar 26, 2009 12:26 am

Chapeau! - Very nice San Francisco French bistro - photo report

Chapeau! is our favorite French bistro in San Francisco, and we even hosted Flyertalk gatherings there. The restaurant is small, with only about 60 seats, but very highly rated by Zagat, essentially tied with the likes of Gary Danko, French Laundry, ...etc.

Here is a quick photo report: Dinner at Chapeau!

JerryFF Mar 26, 2009 9:23 am

This restaurant was featured on "Check Please, Bay Area" not too long ago.

http://blogs.kqed.org/food/0?submit=Search&s=chapeau

http://blogs.kqed.org/food/2006/02/02/chapeau-reviews/

decibel08 Mar 31, 2009 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jet2K (Post 11476693)
Chapeau! is our favorite French bistro in San Francisco, and we even hosted Flyertalk gatherings there. The restaurant is small, with only about 60 seats, but very highly rated by Zagat, essentially tied with the likes of Gary Danko, French Laundry, ...etc.

Here is a quick photo report: Dinner at Chapeau!

i haven't been to chapeau but saying it is "essentially tied" with the french laundry seems silly and makes me take other comments with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

keith1569 Mar 31, 2009 3:42 pm

thanks for the report..i love going to SF for the weekend or night

par8thed Apr 1, 2009 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jet2K (Post 11476693)
... The restaurant is small, with only about 60 seats, but very highly rated by Zagat, essentially tied with the likes of Gary Danko, French Laundry, ...etc.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but compared with FL & Gary Danko, Chapeau is:

2 points less in Food
8 points less in decor
3 points less in service.

Hardly a "tie".

jakuda Apr 2, 2009 1:11 am

Chef/owner Gardelle spends a lot of his time now at the newer sister restaurant Clementine. People looking for the old Chapeau! "experience" should head there instead.

dhammer53 Apr 2, 2009 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by par8thed (Post 11513679)
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but compared with FL & Gary Danko, Chapeau is:

2 points less in Food
8 points less in decor
3 points less in service.

Hardly a "tie".

I've been to Chapeau. Was attending a Flyertalk dinner a few years ago. One of the better meals I've had in the Bay area. We ate off the regular menu. For the $$$, the food was outstanding. I'm looking forward to my return trip.

From Zagat.com

Food = 27 FYI, if you're eating at a restaurant with a 27 rating, you're eating well.
Decor = 18
Service = 25
Cost = $49

FL is $300, and the wine list is the highest I've ever seen. Markups of 3 - 4 times. :eek:

estnet Apr 2, 2009 7:15 pm

It is nice for what it is, but I was VERY underwhelmed with the quality of the food when I ate there (and won't return).

par8thed Apr 7, 2009 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53 (Post 11519350)
I've been to Chapeau. Was attending a Flyertalk dinner a few years ago. One of the better meals I've had in the Bay area. We ate off the regular menu. For the $$$, the food was outstanding. I'm looking forward to my return trip.

From Zagat.com

Food = 27 FYI, if you're eating at a restaurant with a 27 rating, you're eating well.
Decor = 18
Service = 25
Cost = $49

FL is $300, and the wine list is the highest I've ever seen. Markups of 3 - 4 times. :eek:

I don't disagree with anything you're saying - Chapeau (and now Clementine) is a great restaurant, no argument from me!

But there is no comparison with tFL - the OP said Zagat had these two establishments as essentially tied, which is entirely inaccurate.

l etoile Apr 7, 2009 12:14 pm

Chapeau! treated us quite well when Jet2K planned an event there, but when I returned on my own, I found the service quite different and ended up leaving without eating. (First time I've ever walked out of a restaurant for this reason.) This restaurant is a bargain and pleasant when eating with the right people, but it's certainly no French Laundry or Gary Danko. I won't be back.

JerryFF Apr 10, 2009 4:02 pm

FWIW - SF Chronicle's list of best French Restaurants in the Bay Area -

The Dining Room at The Ritz-Carlton Nob Hill
Auberge du Soleil Napa
Iron Gate Belmont
Clementine Restaurant Richmond District
La Folie Russian Hill
El Paseo Mill Valley
Masa's Downtown / Union Square
Fleur de Lys Nob Hill
***Chapeau Richmond District
Bistro Jeanty Yountville

GolfTravelr Apr 10, 2009 6:18 pm

Chapeau has always been one of my favs in San Fran. The first time I ate there was maybe 7-8 years ago and it remains fabulous for food and very steady service. While the decor may lack, the food is still very consistent and marvelous! If you have the opportunity to go, by all means do!!! Is it Danko....no, but at one-third the price you could do far worse!!

estnet Apr 11, 2009 7:44 am

I cannot believe that Chapeau was even on the same list as La Folie or The Dining Room:confused: My dessert there was so bad I didn't eat it - and wasn't asked about it either. :confused:
As I said before I won't go back - but I've been back to the other two multiple times, even at a much higher price point - they're definitely worth it!

l etoile Apr 13, 2009 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by JerryFF (Post 11561576)
FWIW - SF Chronicle's list of best French Restaurants in the Bay Area -

The Dining Room at The Ritz-Carlton Nob Hill
Auberge du Soleil Napa
Iron Gate Belmont
Clementine Restaurant Richmond District
La Folie Russian Hill
El Paseo Mill Valley
Masa's Downtown / Union Square
Fleur de Lys Nob Hill
***Chapeau Richmond District
Bistro Jeanty Yountville

My guess is this list factors in cost vs. value. Chapeau! is very inexpensive. The others aren't.

The Chronicle also puts pizza places and BBQ joints on its best 100 in the Bay Area list right along with Michael Mina and Gary Danko.

Boraxo Apr 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Chapeau is well known and has been for many years. It's cheap compared to the other places mentioned, but not good value compared with many others that fly under the radar.

If you like French food (I don't) it is probably a good choice.