Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Farimont's Tonga Room set to close :(

Farimont's Tonga Room set to close :(

Old Feb 25, 09, 11:04 am
  #1  
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Francisco CA
Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
Posts: 10,721
Farimont's Tonga Room set to close :(

In the conversion to condos....I had one of my very few hard liquor drinks there on my birthday many years go - a Mai Tai that made my mouth numb


http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...4CAH.DTL&tsp=1
squeakr is offline  
Old Feb 25, 09, 1:39 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SFO
Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,171
Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
In the conversion to condos....I had one of my very few hard liquor drinks there on my birthday many years go - a Mai Tai that made my mouth numb


http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...4CAH.DTL&tsp=1
Total bummer. Just another sign that the things that made San Francisco great and are beloved by natives are being purposely killed. What's next? The House of Prime Rib?
abraxis is offline  
Old Feb 27, 09, 12:09 pm
  #3  
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Francisco CA
Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
Posts: 10,721
no but Stacey's Bookstore is going :(

Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
Total bummer. Just another sign that the things that made San Francisco great and are beloved by natives are being purposely killed. What's next? The House of Prime Rib?
squeakr is offline  
Old Mar 4, 14, 11:24 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: South Bend, IN
Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 17,699
Well, the Tongo Room is still around (thanks in part to Tony Bourdain).

Wife and I want to go there for a drink and an appetizer before a late dinner later this month (full dinner menu does not look terribly interesting).

I know they do not take reservations for bar seating, but can one order appetizers from the bar seating area? Or, to put it another way, can one reserve a table and only order drinks and appetizers?

Thanks!
PresRDC is offline  
Old Mar 4, 14, 3:25 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 6,445
Originally Posted by PresRDC View Post
Well, the Tongo Room is still around (thanks in part to Tony Bourdain).

Wife and I want to go there for a drink and an appetizer before a late dinner later this month (full dinner menu does not look terribly interesting).

I know they do not take reservations for bar seating, but can one order appetizers from the bar seating area? Or, to put it another way, can one reserve a table and only order drinks and appetizers?

Thanks!
I've only ever been for drinks (we live a few blocks away, and we often take out of town guests). But I am pretty sure you can and that they also have a separate bar menu. And I've seen people at the bar/lounge tables with appetizers. May be worth a quick call, though, just to confirm.
StudentExplorer is offline  
Old Mar 4, 14, 9:04 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: South Bend, IN
Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 17,699
Cool. Thank you.
PresRDC is offline  
Old Mar 4, 14, 9:30 pm
  #7  
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Francisco CA
Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
Posts: 10,721
They also have a pu pu platter buffet

It's pretty good.
squeakr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: