Wiki Posts
Search

Oakland officials have approved changing the name of the city’s airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2024, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Oakland officials have approved changing the name of the city’s airport

https://sfstandard.com/2024/04/11/oa...l-name-change/

Oakland officials have approved changing the name of the city’s airport to San Francisco Bay Oakland International Airport
Port of Oakland commissioners gave the official thumbs up in a unanimous vote on Thursday, doing away with the Metropolitan Oakland International Airport moniker to better advertise, in their view, the travel hub’s proximity to the San Francisco Bay and bring in more service.
​​​​​​​Mayor London Breed also called out Oakland’s move, saying the city should try to improve its airport instead of using San Francisco’s name.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Hilarious. I guess they are missing those BA, Norwegian international flights.

I think they could accurately go with Oakland-SF International, but starting off with SF is just plain dishonest.

Even more amusing is the fact that SF airport itself is not located with the SF city limits, though technically administered by the city of SF. Won't be helpful to their court case.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
If they can somehow lure AA/UA/others back, I don't really care what they call themselves.

Some of those crowdsourced names are pretty funny though.
Boraxo and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 12:10 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
And let's not forget who is paying for all the new signage and documents which have the old name.
Just more waste of money for "image" instead spend for improvements.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
It will be interesting to see if SFO follows through on hints of litigation.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think it’s so quaint how San Francisco is deluded into thinking it has any authority over Oakland, a city in Alameda County, that the phrase “San Francisco Bay” is trademarked or protected in any way.

I think San Francisco has far more important things to do with their money than waste it on legal fees spent on a meritless lawsuit with zero chance of success.
malgudi, Boraxo and ucdtim17 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo

I think they could accurately go with Oakland-SF International, but starting off with SF is just plain dishonest.

Even more amusing is the fact that SF airport itself is not located with the SF city limits, though technically administered by the city of SF. Won't be helpful to their court case.
Disagree. OAK is in the "SF Bay"

Mayor London has more important things to worry about, me thinks.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by malgudi
Disagree. OAK is in the "SF Bay"

Mayor London has more important things to worry about, me thinks.
In fact, you can take the San Francisco Bay Ferry both to and from Oakland and Alameda, as well as Richmond and Vallejo, and South San Francisco. 5 counties just in that sentence alone.

BUR has had what, 4 or 5 names during my lifetime? I never figured that I'd be landing at Bob Hope's house, nor that Glendale nor Pasadena would be where I landed, nor that I'd even be close to Hollywood (even though it has had Hollywood in its name, now a second time).

I don't think many people flying into Baltimore Washington International expect to see the Capitol during final approach. But those taking off from OAK can get a most spectacular view of San Francisco.

There's approx. a 4 mile differential between SFO-Ferry Building and OAK-Ferry Building.

And if someone perchance got "confused" and booked a ticket to OAK instead of SFO, public transit is almost as easy, and if you get a car, well, that first view of SF going over the Bay Bridge is priceless.

For any years, WN didn't service SFO, and plenty of folks used OAK for their SF visits. And lived.

If the City and County of San Francisco and/or airport authority spend even a fraction of what one police officer's salary is for a year on litigation related to this ... you can see where this sentence is going. But I'll stop.
SPN Lifer and TWA884 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 7:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I doubt this will have much, if any, actual impact. It will still be OAK and there will still be a dearth of flights in and out on pretty much all airlines other than WN.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 7:53 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Boraxo

I respectfully disagree. "San Francisco Bay Oakland International Airport." Of course, San Francisco is not only a city and a county. It's also a bay, and a region. Indeed, it's the norm to call this metro area the Bay Area, which is short for San Francisco Bay Area. OAK is not only in the San Francisco Bay Area -- its main runway is a few feet from the water.

I'll be rooting for OAK in the inevitable trademark case. If I were on the legal team, I'd poke fun at how "San Francisco International Airport" is geographically deceptive. It's true that SFO is in the City and County of San Francisco, but that's only true in a technical sense. It's on a plot of land owned by the City & County of San Francisco, but it's really in Milbrae, and about 8 miles south of SF's southern border. Transit options and travel times from SFO and OAK to SF tourist destinations are about the same.
bocastephen and ucdtim17 like this.

Last edited by dhuey; Apr 12, 2024 at 8:03 pm
Old Apr 12, 2024, 11:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dhuey
Transit options and travel times from SFO and OAK to SF tourist destinations are about the same.
I am not an OAK hater by any means, but SFO is considerably more convenient if you need to be in SF. No bridge or tunnel, and BART trains run direct.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and HSaxa like this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 1:37 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Kacee
I am not an OAK hater by any means, but SFO is considerably more convenient if you need to be in SF. No bridge or tunnel, and BART trains run direct.
BART to Powell Street station is pretty much a wash. Yes, you need to switch trains with OAK, but you also need to do that at SFO with the domestic terminals, or you could walk a pretty good distance from the SFO station (at International-G). Very short walk at OAK from the AirBART station to checkin and security.

And yes, the bridge can have nasty traffic at times, but that’s also true of 101 between SFO and the city.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Juan Carlos Lara, "Oakland Officials to Proceed With Controversial Move to Rename Airport", KQED, Thur., Apr. 11, 2024.

Quote:
San Francisco City Attorney David Chiu said the new name would infringe on the San Francisco International Airport’s trademark, and the city — which owns and operates SFO — will pursue legal action if the port goes through with the change.

“Any reasonable person can see that the proposed name change is going to create confusion for passengers,” Chiu told KQED after the vote results were announced. “We believe that the proposal appears intentionally designed to divert travelers who may be unfamiliar with Bay Area geography and also lead them to believe that Oakland Airport has a business relationship with SFO, which it does not.”

“They’ve forced us to have no choice but to take legal action,” Chiu added. “As soon as I get to the office tomorrow, I’ll be huddling with my attorneys, and we will figure out next steps.”

https://www.kqed.org/news/11982744/o...rename-airport
Old Apr 13, 2024, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
BART to Powell Street station is pretty much a wash.
I guess that depends on how you define wash. According to BART, it's 28 minutes from SFO to Powell, 35 minutes from OAK to Powell, but that doesn't take into account the time you'll wait to connect at Colosseum, because the shuttle trains from the airport aren't timed to the BART trains.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Kacee
I guess that depends on how you define wash. According to BART, it's 28 minutes from SFO to Powell, 35 minutes from OAK to Powell, but that doesn't take into account the time you'll wait to connect at Colosseum, because the shuttle trains from the airport aren't timed to the BART trains.
Well, that would require a transfer in Rome, not at the Coliseum Station
returnoftheyeti likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.