Wiki Posts
Search

SFO Seasonal Event: Dickens Christmas Fair

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, USAir, UA

Mentioned in another thread, I thought I'd recommend it in a thread of it's own...

(Updated for 2014)

VISIT VICTORIAN LONDON IN SAN FRANCISCO!

Join us for FIVE WEEKENDS
Nov. 22 ~ Dec. 21 from 10am to 7pm,
including the Friday after Thanksgiving!

A Victorian Christmas Card Come to Life!

Enter the world of Charles Dickens and revel in a Victorian London where it's always Christmas Eve and the streets resound with celebrations of the Season! Lively calls of street vendors ring out above the crowd and mingle with holiday carolers; tempting aromas of roasted chestnuts and hearty foods fill the air; enticing shops overflow with one-of-a-kind Christmas gifts.

To recreate old London town, we transform over three acres of vintage exhibition halls into lamplit lanes, pubs and theatres, dance floors and music halls, tearooms and shops. Hundreds of costumed characters from genteel to boisterous bring the town to life and interact with patrons.

Purchase "print at home" tickets and save!

Experience the joys of Christmas past at the Great Dickens Christmas Fair!
Some relatively impartial reviews:
http://www.lasplash.com/publish/Ente...air-review.php
http://www.wired.com/culture/lifesty.../2005/12/69824
http://www.yelp.com/biz/dickens-fair...alls-daly-city
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g6...ctivities.html

This message brought to you by the bar-fly in the back who will commute up each weekend from Los Angeles to be part of the show... ^

Last edited by mlshanks; Nov 13, 2014 at 2:04 pm Reason: Annual edit
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:32 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
I take a weekend in SF every year just to attend this event. I'll be there at 11 AM (opening time, don't miss the opening!) Sunday, December 14.

Any questions about the event I can probably answer because it's been the same every year for the past 5.

Anyone elso going to be there?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gre
Any questions about the event I can probably answer because it's been the same every year for the past 5.
Rather similar... Not "the same."

While many performers stay the same, others have come and gone. New this year will be a Scottish & Irish dance & music, Middle Eastern dancers, and a Jules Verne themed stage show. The fair always does an abridged Gilbert and Sullivan operetta...but *which* one changes year to year. (This year is "Pirates of Penzance") The French Postcard Tableaux is still Victorian naughtiness...but this year will focus on fantasy rather than the Far East. There is about a 5-10% turnover on craft/food/game booths every year...

And the terribly handy BART shuttle is new this year, allowing the casual visitor to NOT pay the Cow Palace their ridiculous $10 parking fee for distant parking and park in the many FREE BART lots around town...plus save money on admission.

Last edited by mlshanks; Nov 21, 2008 at 1:30 pm
Old Nov 21, 2008, 3:25 pm
gre

But the shuttle doesn't start until 11:15 and one simply must not miss the opening at 11 AM.

Just don't tell me that Mad Sal is changing or I'm canceling my plane reservations (and yes, I've been the guy on that stage that the "girls" sing to)!
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gre
Just don't tell me that Mad Sal is changing or I'm canceling my plane reservations (and yes, I've been the guy on that stage that the "girls" sing to)!
Sal's will always remain "where the scum meets the Thames," the favorite drinking establishment of working girls, buzzers & housebreakers, and slumming toffs out on a spree. 'Cause nothing says Christmas like boozing and girls!

But I understand that at least one of the Scottish/Irish shows are ours...and there will be a few "new" music hall classics added to the song rotation.

Hey, if you're coming to Sal's, ask for "Barlow" with the ruffians at the door, and I'll introduce you right proper.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:52 am
gre

Originally Posted by mlshanks
Hey, if you're coming to Sal's, ask for "Barlow" with the ruffians at the door, and I'll introduce you right proper.
At the door near the far wall where the girls hang out?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

And I'm glad to report that I had a lovely chat with Gre & lovely Mrs. this last weekend...

Remember, only one more weekend left!
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:46 am
gre

Always good to meet a fellow FTer!

And the show was great as usual (though French Postcards has been toned down too much for my tastes).
Old Dec 26, 2008, 9:22 am

Went last Saturday for the first time. Conceptually it was interesting and there were some fun bits. On the downside it was very crowded making for long lines at the food booths.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Bump for 2010.

Make your plans now for the bigger & better...

^
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Bump to 2012...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:29 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
We will be there Sunday, and have our reservations for Tea!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:57 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
making sure the update is clearly seen

Mentioned in another thread, I thought I'd recommend it in a thread of it's own...

VISIT VICTORIAN LONDON IN SAN FRANCISCO!

The bustling streets of London, immortalized for all time by the mighty pen of Charles Dickens, form the living backdrop of your excursion into Christmas Past. You are a living part of a Victorian Christmas card come to life!

A Bay Area tradition since 1970, the Great Dickens Christmas Fair returns to the San Francisco Cow Palace Exhibition Halls for five weekends in 2012, including the Friday after Thanksgiving, from Friday, November 23 through Sunday, December 23, from 10 am 'til 7 pm.

Created by Ron & Phyllis Patterson, the fair is now produced by Kevin & Leslie Patterson & Red Barn Productions, who continue the family tradition of theatrical excellence through authenticity, participation, and playfulness.

Come wander the lanes of Victorian London, as the glow of twilight settles upon the city, with the scent of pine boughs & freshly baked scones floating in the air and the sound of carolers and holiday merrymakers accompanying your stroll.

London is larger - over 120,000 square feet to explore!
Visit shops bedecked with Christmastime finery and filled with unique treasures.
Stop in for a hot toddy or a pint of Lagunitas at Mad Sal's Dockside Ale House, where the low-life hang out and the high-born drop in.
Raise a champagne toast to the holidays at Fezziwig's Warehouse, the most cheerful spot in London.
Enjoy rollicking entertainments on seven stages and in the streets.
Feast on fine foods from the British Empire and beyond.
Rest a spell in Cuthbert's Tea House, for a sip of hot tea and cucumber sandwiches or scones.

Purchase "print at home" tickets now through December 5 and save!

Experience the joys of Christmas past at the Great Dickens Christmas Fair!
Some relatively impartial reviews:
http://www.wired.com/culture/lifesty.../2005/12/69824
http://www.yelp.com/biz/dickens-fair...alls-daly-city
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g6...ctivities.html
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

(Bump for 2013, 35th annual!)
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by mlshanks
(Bump for 2013, 35th annual!)
And link:
http://dickensfair.com/

It's great bonding for my and my girlfriend's dad as we collectively wait for others to shop...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.