Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Happy Hour Thread

Plane Spotting

At SFO:
  • The new SFO outdoor observation deck “is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm “as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. “Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond.” Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.
  • (TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO COVID) the SFO Sky Terrace is landside (pre-security) in Terminal 2: "... open to the general public seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter and you don’t need a ticket or boarding pass. Visitors will undergo a security check. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted."
Outside SFO:
  • Assuming typical "West Plan" operations, Coyote Point Recreation Area (https://goo.gl/maps/DAUZv7A9bFS2) is an excellent location. There are a few overlooks on the trails by the water, depending what angle you want. Vehicular access is via Coyote Point Dr and costs $6 per vehicle.
  • For free alternatives consider parking at Ryder Park (https://goo.gl/maps/h48Dk8PhNGk) or Seal Point Park just down the street. There is a flat paved path between here and Coyote Point, although there are overhead power lines along the shore. (Coyote Point and Seal Point parks have unobstructed views however)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:47 am

Having done similar length of flight and connections via SFO before (but not class of service ) I recommend trying the shower option. In fact, I have several times meant to go that route but never seem to end up getting there due to lack of time. For some reason, even 5 hours goes by quickly doing the Intl/Domestic route and stopping for something to eat. I usually end up freshening up in the RCC but would definitely prefer the shower route.

The 'snacks' in the RCC are not very enticing to me. SFO also has some of the better food options for a US airport.

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:24 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zrs70
The op does not have to get a rcc pass. He can also get a pass for another lounge, though UA may offer the best choice.
The only other lounge that you can buy a day pass for in terminal 3 or international G is the AA lounge, which is not as nice as the RCC.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Other options

After you have cleared the security and perhaps sent your bags* in their merry way to HI, there are other options that may be worth exploring.

(1) Hop into any free hotel shuttle (Hyatt/Hilton etc) and get some good lunch at the sports bar in Hyatt or elsewhere. Shuttles will take you from the international terminals departure level (just step right out) and it will bring you back to the domestic UA terminal. One does not need to stay in the hotel in order to use the shuttle. Do remember to kindly tip the shuttle driver ($1-$2; depending on the amount of bags, service etc).

(2) You may consider calling and seeing if you can reserve a day room or pay for a room. Try priceline, hotel.com or whatever else works for you. If not, you can try using their fitness room/gym and having a shower there. Again ask at the front desk for rates etc.

(3) Get a guest access through FT RCC meeting calender list. What would be ideal is if someone could buzz you into International First Class Lounge or Singapore Airlines Silver Kris Lounge. In both of these lounges, there will be options to shower and get far more decent food than RCC's stingy offerings.

(4) Try the food court. San Francisco Soup company offers healthy eating options.

Hope you enjoy your brief time in SFO!

*Try having your bags checked all the way to HI. You will have to claim them at customs in SFO, but having the tags has the advantage of not having to retag them by dragging it to UA counter. BA and UA are of course on different systems and partnership agreements so this may not be an option. I am not sure how far in advance will UA accept your bags at the domestic terminal. Perhaps, others can inform you on this. If you are going to be on just a carry-on, then all this is moot.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: UA G
If you have $39 burning a hole in your pocket, I'd rather you head over to Andale's or Willow Street Pizza and buy two burritos (or pizzas) and three beers. The food will be better than anything you'll get in the RCC and the bartenders are way better.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: Platinum
after a ten hour flight, if you decide to stay in the terminal, I would recommend a walk. Its a 15-20 minute walk from the end of the International terminal to both 70's and 80' gate (using stairs and avoiding the moving sidewalk). Helps stretch your legs out for that final 5 hour ride, and you can get an idea of the layout of Terminal 3. The International Terminal is quieter in the afternoon, and you can lie down for a few minutes in one of the empty gates while your electronic equipment is charging. The connector between the International and Domestic terminal is all glass, and actually quiet... very nice on a sunny day. Enjoy Hawaii (please wear sun protection for the first few days)!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM *Alliance Gold
Another good place to unwind in the international terminal is the aviation museum, landside on the south side of the terminal. Lots of good exhibits, old photos, and quiet places upstairs to read and relax. A hidden treasure IMHO.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA ExP
I wouldn't bother with the RCC 1-time pass. You can get liquor, a meal, and a few hours of internet access for cheaper a la carte.

At the end of the North International terminal (terminal G about gate 99) there's a small cafe like restaurant (Emporio Rull I think) that over looks the north edge of the airport and depending on the time of day it can be pretty quiet. I've spent a couple of hours there when my flights been delayed.

Note that there's walk way between the International terminal G and Terminal 3 (UA domestic/canada) so you won't need to re-clear security. So I'd definitely take a walk around there for a bit. It's just near the international terminal RCC.

There's no real great views out of SFO unless you want to plane watch then the international RCC isn't bad or out by 84/86. You may be able to see SF however there's a couple of hills in the way and typically there's enough crap in the air to prevent that. You'll be able to see across the bay as well but again it's over the water.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 4:55 pm

Crap in the air?? Not sure I would call fog that ... unlike smog!

Originally Posted by spinjockey
You may be able to see SF however there's a couple of hills in the way and typically there's enough crap in the air to prevent that. You'll be able to see across the bay as well but again it's over the water.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca
You can also BART it to the In-n-Out in Millbrae. It's $4 each way by BART and it drops you off across the street...
My memory is a little hazy, but isn't there also a reasonably-sized mall adjacent to the Millbrae BART station?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DimSum
My memory is a little hazy, but isn't there also a reasonably-sized mall adjacent to the Millbrae BART station?
Not that I recall.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 5:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by DimSum
You might be thinking of Tanforan near the San Bruno station up the line.
http://www.theshopsattanforan.com/
Old Jul 22, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
After you have cleared the security and perhaps sent your bags* in their merry way to HI, there are other options that may be worth exploring.

(1) Hop into any free hotel shuttle (Hyatt/Hilton etc) and get some good lunch at the sports bar in Hyatt or elsewhere. Shuttles will take you from the international terminals departure level (just step right out) and it will bring you back to the domestic UA terminal. One does not need to stay in the hotel in order to use the shuttle. Do remember to kindly tip the shuttle driver ($1-$2; depending on the amount of bags, service etc).

snip...
Or the Embassy Suites in Burlingame. There is a walkway along the Bay, with fresh air and some nice views of the planes landing at SFO. Often times wind/kite surfers are on the water.

Also, there is a "left luggage" shop in the International terminal (in between the BART entrance and security, landside).
Old Jul 22, 2010, 5:47 pm

I do that connection quite frequently although in the reverse direction - coming back from Asia and connecting on United to the East Coast.

As far as international arrivals / connections go, its actually about as good as it gets. You do automatically have to go out of security and back in, but that isnt an issue for you.

I generally arrive later at night - around 8 or 9 and catch a 10 or 11pm redeye so the terminal will certainly be busier while you are there, but I really find it a smooth connection and a nice terminal. I have not tried the pay showers, but would agree with that - worth a few bucks to clean up and kill some time.

The arrival hall upstairs in the international terminal is quite nice has one or two legit restaurants and what amounts to an upscale food court. In fact, I just connected through there yesterday and a friend came to the airport and met me for a quick catch up and we just sat in one of the booths in the food court for an hour - was quiet empty at that time so no pressure to move on.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 5:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
Or the Embassy Suites in Burlingame. There is a walkway along the Bay, with fresh air and some nice views of the planes landing at SFO.
I've stopped at the walkway next to the Marriott down there and taken photos. Great views across the Bay.

Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:13 pm

Also, keep in mind that when entering the Domestic Terminal 3, you can either go through the TSA checkpoints in Terminal 3 (often very crowded during peak periods) or you can go through the International Terminal G TSA checkpoint (often much less crowded) and then walk over to Terminal 3 once past the TSA checkpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.