Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Restaurant Recommendations

San Francisco Restaurant Recommendations

Old Apr 18, 08, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Gold, AF Gold, AA; Marriott Silver, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFFlyman View Post
I second Ton Kiang for dim sum... better than Yank Sing, imho, and a bit less expensive. For a stellar meal, try La Folie. The prices are a bit steep, but worth it. As an alternative, I have always enjoyed Quince, but reservations can be difficult to get.
Hi guys

We are going to visit San Francisco next week. If we are driving there for Sunday lunch time dim sum, is it easy to find car parking around? (Either free or garage).
Old Apr 18, 08, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by whkchan View Post
Hi guys

We are going to visit San Francisco next week. If we are driving there for Sunday lunch time dim sum, is it easy to find car parking around? (Either free or garage).
If you are driving, you're much better off going to neighboring Daly City and eat at Koi Palace. http://www.koipalace.com/ Call ahead to get a number to reduce your wait time.

If you are willing to drive 15miles south of SF, there are great bangs for the buck (and less wait time) in Millbrae.
Old Apr 18, 08, 10:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
Welcome

There are many parking garages in SF. Street parking is challenging at times.

Here is one way to find parking places:

http://www.parkingcarma.com/?tabid=65

Public transport is good in SF. Consider leaving the car at the hotel in the city or taking BART in from the out regions.

http://www.bart.gov/index.asp

Welcome to California!

Hi guys

Old Apr 18, 08, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
also to add...

If you're thinking Chinatown . not only is parking nearnigh impossible for many reasons , it's expensive AND a difficult part of town to drive in period.

If you're thinking out of downtown/Chinatown, the Richmond district is hard to park and drive in but not as bad as Chinatown. The Richmond Dist is West of Downtown, in the numbered streets north of GG Park.

With a car your best bet is as others have suggested and go south to Daly City et.c closer to the airport.

And why ARE you driving in SF? I don't even do that

If you need more suggestions let us know.
Old Apr 18, 08, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Gold, AF Gold, AA; Marriott Silver, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thanks for all the responses. I have to admit I know nothing about San Francisco. I am thinking as it will be Sunday, driving around should be easy? And we are planning to drive to see Golden Gate Bridge in the morning, so driving on to Richmond to have dim sum looks straightforward?
Old Apr 19, 08, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all the responses. I have to admit I know nothing about San Francisco. I am thinking as it will be Sunday, driving around should be easy? And we are planning to drive to see Golden Gate Bridge in the morning, so driving on to Richmond to have dim sum looks straightforward?
Going over bridges is often worse on the weekends than it is during the weekdays. Sunday morning should be fine no matter where you drive, but things could start to back up quite a bit coming back into the city later in the day (for both the GG and the Bay Bridge).

That said, the traffic is really not a reason to avoid driving over the GG as it really only adds a small amount of additional time to your trip. There is so much worthwhile to see on the other side of the bridge that it would be a shame to skip it simply because of potential traffic.

As to driving around the city, I know many people who avoid it but I don't. If you've driven in London then SF will be easy. Just make sure you get a rental with good GPS in it. There are many streets that don't allow left turns at all (Market St. and 19th St.) and SF is not the easiest place to get your bearings.
Old Apr 19, 08, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
If you're thinking Chinatown . not only is parking nearnigh impossible for many reasons , it's expensive AND a difficult part of town to drive in period.

If you're thinking out of downtown/Chinatown, the Richmond district is hard to park and drive in but not as bad as Chinatown. The Richmond Dist is West of Downtown, in the numbered streets north of GG Park.

With a car your best bet is as others have suggested and go south to Daly City et.c closer to the airport.

And why ARE you driving in SF? I don't even do that

If you need more suggestions let us know.
To add to this a bit, parking downtown is not actually that bad on the weekends as long as you know where to park and you get there early enough. I regularly use five garages down there: 5th and Mission or the one under Union Square (hard to get into late in the day), Sutter & Stockton (almost always open but you might need to park all the way at the top of the garage), the Chinatown garage at Kearny & Clay or any of the Embarcadero Center garages. All of these places can be somewhat expensive for daily parking but they are worth it if you are just going in for a day and don't want to bother with SF's unreliable public transport. You'll pay $30 or so if you leave your car in any one of these garages for an entire day. Embarcadero Center garages are free for a couple of hours if you buy something from one of the shops there (weekends only, minimum purchase required).
Old Apr 22, 08, 7:36 pm

On weekends, I like to use the St.Mary's Square Parking garage. It's located on 433 Kearny St. at Pine St in the Financial District, very close to Chinatown. On weekends it is $7 per day! Also check for metered parking spaces on Sundays, it's free!
Old Apr 22, 08, 11:07 pm

I agree. Trattoria is one of my favorites for Italian in the City.

For Dim Sum, there's a relatively new restaurant called The Kitchen just north of Milbrae Ave, in Milbrae near SFO. I had Dim Sum there last week and I thought, it was just as good, if not better than Koi Palace's. Also, The Kitchen's owner just took over the old Flowers Lounge on El Camino in San Bruno. It's now called Asia Pearl and I heard they have the same menu.

Originally Posted by ldsant View Post
My favorite restaurant that never fails to please is Trattoria Contadina, corner of Union & Mason. Was there last weekend and took 3 of my friends who are "native" SFers and had never been there. Found the place during my first trip to SF over 10 years ago and never fail to go each time I'm in the city. Great food, good wine recommendations, excellent service. Cozy.
Old Apr 23, 08, 9:55 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
driving...

I know the OP is from London so SF should be relatively easy. But it really depends on how much you want to drive in traffic on a vacation. Sunday is no easier than other days, downtown, and can be harder.
Old Apr 23, 08, 10:21 am

Yeah, we got the car because we are going to Yosemite National Park and other places next, and since we have the car anyway, I thought we would do the 49-mile scenic drive recommended by guide books.

We would probably finish GG bridge when it's lunch hour, and looking at the map, Richmond is relatively close by, and is on the way another (doing the scenic drive anti-clockwise), hence the idea of dim sum there.
Old Apr 23, 08, 3:47 pm

Yeah, we got the car because we are going to Yosemite National Park and other places next, and since we have the car anyway, I thought we would do the 49-mile scenic drive recommended by guide books.

We would probably finish GG bridge when it's lunch hour, and looking at the map, Richmond is relatively close by, and is on the way another (doing the scenic drive anti-clockwise), hence the idea of dim sum there.
I think Ton Kiang would be a good choice for food and convenience.

To get there, after you have finished the Golden Gate Bridge. Take your furthest right lane after the toll booth. Turn right and go through the short tunnel and onto 19th Ave.(aka Hwy1 and Park Presidio Blvd), after 3 blocks, turn right onto Geary Blvd, there's a meter parking lot on your right after 21th
Ave., Ton Kiang is on the opposite side the parking lot on Geary . After you finished with your Dim Sum, drive over to the Legion of Honor near Clement St. and Lands End at the west end of Geary Blvd in the Richmond District. You can hike from Legion of Honor to Lands End (or reverse), it's relatively easy hike and you'll have some of the best views of San Francisco Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge.

Have fun!

Last edited by imm2b; Apr 23, 08 at 4:01 pm
Old Apr 24, 08, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA, VX, AA
Originally Posted by imm2b View Post
I think Ton Kiang would be a good choice for food and convenience.

To get there, after you have finished the Golden Gate Bridge. Take your furthest right lane after the toll booth. Turn right and go through the short tunnel and onto 19th Ave.(aka Hwy1 and Park Presidio Blvd), after 3 blocks, turn right onto Geary Blvd, there's a meter parking lot on your right after 21th
Ave., Ton Kiang is on the opposite side the parking lot on Geary . After you finished with your Dim Sum, drive over to the Legion of Honor near Clement St. and Lands End at the west end of Geary Blvd in the Richmond District. You can hike from Legion of Honor to Lands End (or reverse), it's relatively easy hike and you'll have some of the best views of San Francisco Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge.

Have fun!
One note about Ton Kiang... on Sunday's there can be a 20-30 minute wait, depending on the time you get there. I think it's worth the wait.
Old Apr 24, 08, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
Just to clarify for OP, squeakr is recommending the Richmond District, an area within San Francisco, not the city of Richmond, CA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: