FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   San Francisco Restaurant Recommendations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/652935-san-francisco-restaurant-recommendations.html)

ldsant Mar 4, 2007 9:01 am

My favorite restaurant that never fails to please is Trattoria Contadina, corner of Union & Mason. Was there last weekend and took 3 of my friends who are "native" SFers and had never been there. Found the place during my first trip to SF over 10 years ago and never fail to go each time I'm in the city. Great food, good wine recommendations, excellent service. Cozy.

StudentExplorer Mar 5, 2007 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by rjque (Post 7107860)

- Delfina on 18th St. in the Mission has consistently fantastic ingredient focused Italian food.

This is next on my list of places to try. But last night, I finally went to A16 over in the Marina. Also fantastic ingredient focused Italian. I loved it's casual/rustic feel. But it still has some "high end" dining touches. They are known for the neapolitan pizzas. For me, however, the highlight was a ricotta gnocchi dish with pork meatballs and chiles. Fantastic!

l etoile Mar 5, 2007 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 7104457)
The newest great "hot spot" seems to be Perbacco. I'm going there for lunch soon...

Have you had lunch there yet? Curious as I'm going for dinner this week ...

Eastbay1K Mar 5, 2007 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by l'etoile (Post 7345003)

Yes. I was underwhelmed, primarily because my expectations were quite high. Food was decent, as was the service. I was hoping for a "wow" moment with either my app or my main course. The noise level (this was a business lunch) was a bomb, we could hardly hear each other.

rjque Mar 5, 2007 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by StudentExplorer (Post 7335744)
BF and I finally checked this place out last night. I agree with the "neighborhood restaurant" characterization. That is to say, it's a good place but not something I'd go out of my way for. I do like the fact that it's open late - something that is sorely needed here!

I actually like Nopa a lot more than the typical neighborhood restaurant. I would definitely travel across town to eat the little gems salad, runner beans and the pork chop. I also really like the large cocktail menu.

brendamc Mar 7, 2007 1:05 pm

Has anyone seen the new (I think) Ritz-Carlton ad with a photo of Cafe Claude? Just found it in my SoCal 'Riviera' magazine. Makes me want to hop on a plane - what a great little restaurant & what a great photo - looks just like Paris.

Beerman92 Mar 13, 2007 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by vielflieger (Post 7286297)
Check out the newest one in SF. It is called Pres A Vi and is in the Presidio in the Letterman Bldg. Awesome wine list and great food served tapa style.

Was there a couple of weeks ago. Food was good, wine list was good (not great) and the service was bad.

FlyinHawaiian Mar 3, 2008 11:56 am

In case anyone is out in the East Bay, I had dim sum at the new Dublin outlet of Koi Palace (it's called Koi Garden) on Dublin and Tessajara (for those looking at a map, it's near the junction of Interstates 580 and 680). The quality was decent and the prices a bit steep, but short of driving all the way to Milpitas, perhaps the best dim sum option in that area.

MariaSF Mar 4, 2008 10:37 pm

Pres-a-vi feels like a diner to me, although the Sunday brunch is actually nice.
In the same neighborhood, I prefer the Baker Street Bistro (Baker and Lombard) and Terzo (Steiner and Union).

jschw934 Mar 5, 2008 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by l'etoile (Post 7345003)

I had dinner there recently, and it was quite good. Very solid. After hearing glowing reports, I almost expected something transcendent, which can always be a problem. The pastas were enjoyable though, and we especially liked some of the cocktails if you are into that kind of thing. reservations can still be a bit difficult, but if you don't have them, you can order from the entire menu at the bar.

allset2travel Mar 13, 2008 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 9350251)
In case anyone is out in the East Bay, I had dim sum at the new Dublin outlet of Koi Palace (it's called Koi Garden) on Dublin and Tessajara (for those looking at a map, it's near the junction of Interstates 580 and 680). The quality was decent and the prices a bit steep, but short of driving all the way to Milpitas, perhaps the best dim sum option in that area.

Food meets standard expectation. But the price is way too high for dim-sum. IMHO. But in the East Bay, dim-sum choices are very limited, given Tin's Garden in Walnut Creek.

AMA Apr 12, 2008 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 7142948)
I was taken to a place called A16 earlier this week, it was fantastic and quite reasonable.

Ditto; I ate at A16 a couple of weeks ago, and in addition to good food, the portions are quite large, so consider sharing dishes. Nice little cubbly hole, handy if on Geary west(if I recall correctly).

squeakr Apr 13, 2008 6:55 pm

uhh...not quite...

Originally Posted by AMA (Post 9563338)
Ditto; I ate at A16 a couple of weeks ago, and in addition to good food, the portions are quite large, so consider sharing dishes. Nice little cubbly hole, handy if on Geary west(if I recall correctly).

A16 is in the marina, on Chestnut Street...never been, since whenever we go to the Marina we always wind up at the nouveau-Chinese Dragon Well for noodles and mongolian beef. We'll get to A16 someday I hope!

FlyinHawaiian Apr 14, 2008 4:55 pm

I had lunch in Danville yesterday at the Peasant and the Pear; I thought the prices were very reasonable and the food quality was quite good.

http://www.thepeasantandthepear.com/

MumbaiFlyer Apr 15, 2008 5:48 am

Originally Posted by brendamc (Post 7359593)
Has anyone seen the new (I think) Ritz-Carlton ad with a photo of Cafe Claude? Just found it in my SoCal 'Riviera' magazine. Makes me want to hop on a plane - what a great little restaurant & what a great photo - looks just like Paris.

Great place to take people if you're in the Union Square area. Off the beaten path enough to impress, especially visitors.