Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Restaurant Recommendations

San Francisco Restaurant Recommendations

Old Jan 29, 07, 3:04 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Dimsum

Koi Palace, Daly City.

It is a drive...or taxi ride, but honestly, best dimsum I've had outside of LA or Asia.
Old Jan 30, 07, 11:04 am

I'd say try something different than the hyper-expensive places you have listed. I mean, just drop one of them off and go somewhere a little more native and fun and less stuffy, just to get a different feeling from the city. Try Home on Market Street. It's delicious and fun and great bang for the buck and high energy atmosphere. Even somewhere like Beetlenut on Union Street is fun and nice, but casual. Break out of that group at least once!

That said, I do like Michael Mina (prefer the one in Vegas), love Gary Danko, Boulevard, One Market and Americano in the Hotel Vitale across the street, but you have to mix it up to get a good balance.
Old Jan 30, 07, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the posts. Decided on GARY DANKO and TON KIANG (instead of YANK SING).

I am sure MICHAEL MINA would be great -- but seems over the top right before DANKO on the next day. Tried BOULEVARD, couldn't get a table. MASA, FLEUR DE LYS, DINING ROOM at RC sound too serious.

The dinner slot goes to... SCOTT HOWARD. Haven't heard much about it, but I heard dining room is beautiful and food is delicious -- service could be spotty. Thought we should give that a try.

Originally Posted by mattkorey View Post
I'd say try something different than the hyper-expensive places you have listed. I mean, just drop one of them off and go somewhere a little more native and fun and less stuffy, just to get a different feeling from the city. Try Home on Market Street. It's delicious and fun and great bang for the buck and high energy atmosphere. Even somewhere like Beetlenut on Union Street is fun and nice, but casual. Break out of that group at least once!

That said, I do like Michael Mina (prefer the one in Vegas), love Gary Danko, Boulevard, One Market and Americano in the Hotel Vitale across the street, but you have to mix it up to get a good balance.
Old Feb 1, 07, 9:20 pm

Programs: nada these days
Hmm. Let us know how it turns out! Scott Howard isn't one I've heard of.

A friend was in town a few months ago and we had a great experience at a tiny place called 1550 Hyde (conveniently located at that address, and cable car accessible). Very fresh ingredients, and the prix-fixe menu was both delicious and a great value. Can't wait to go back! It's tiny, though, so call ahead.
Old Feb 2, 07, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I was taken to a place called A16 earlier this week, it was fantastic and quite reasonable.
Old Feb 4, 07, 6:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, UAL Executive Premier
Originally Posted by brendamc View Post
Sorry to be contrary, but we were totally underwhelmed by the tasting menu & service at the Dining Room. Way too slow, waiting for wine glasses to be refilled several times, food was just ok. Perhaps the fact our last tasting menu had been at El Bulli...
I have no doubt that you had considerably less than a satisfying evening at the DR of the RC. But, don't rule out another try given the following evaluations of that restaurant: Zagat 27/27/28, Michelin one star (along with the likes of Gary Danko, Fleur de Lys, and Chez Panisse), and AAA five diamonds. And, as I mentioned earlier, my wife and I have dined at Alain Ducasse (in Paris and in NYC), the French Laundry, Gary Danko, among others of that caliber, and put the DR in that league.
Old Feb 5, 07, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Just had wonderful Dim Sum at a place called City View.Great location,clean-some interesting dishes,very fresh and tasty dim sum-and quite a few vegetarian choices.
BUT get there early-we got there just after 11 and there was a line when we left(this was on a friday)out the door.
Old Feb 13, 07, 12:35 pm

I actually live in Daly City and had never heard of Koi Palace. So after reading about it here we decided to go on Saturday night. The wait was two hours!! Forget it. We'll have to either go early or late next time, but I guess it must be good to generate that sort of traffic.
Old Feb 15, 07, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Originally Posted by VL83 View Post
I have no doubt that you had considerably less than a satisfying evening at the DR of the RC. But, don't rule out another try given the following evaluations of that restaurant: Zagat 27/27/28, Michelin one star (along with the likes of Gary Danko, Fleur de Lys, and Chez Panisse), and AAA five diamonds. And, as I mentioned earlier, my wife and I have dined at Alain Ducasse (in Paris and in NYC), the French Laundry, Gary Danko, among others of that caliber, and put the DR in that league.
Same here, with the exception of Ducasse in NY. And I don't put a whole lot of credence into Zagat (with the exception of their Paris book). I post a lot on Chowhound & DR reviews there seem to be mixed, too. I'd be more than willing to give it a try again, but could never talk my husband into shelling out that much $$ after our last visit! I'll give you some specific reasons - disappearing sommelier, we had to pour our own wine all evening; one of the dishes advertised Maldon salt sprinkled on top, so I asked for a small bowl of it and, about an hour later after asking again, was brought a bowl of what definitely was not Maldon & bore more resemblance to kosher than even sea salt. When I pointed that out, the waiter insisted it was Maldon, which it was not. Service issues like that really get to me when you're spending so much. And again, to be fair, we'd just had dinner at El Bulli, considered by many to be the top restaurant in the world, so perhaps not fair to compare so soon.
Old Feb 15, 07, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS Gold
I do not recommend Scott Howard

Originally Posted by broadwayboy View Post
Thanks for all the posts. Decided on GARY DANKO and TON KIANG (instead of YANK SING).

I am sure MICHAEL MINA would be great -- but seems over the top right before DANKO on the next day. Tried BOULEVARD, couldn't get a table. MASA, FLEUR DE LYS, DINING ROOM at RC sound too serious.

The dinner slot goes to... SCOTT HOWARD. Haven't heard much about it, but I heard dining room is beautiful and food is delicious -- service could be spotty. Thought we should give that a try.
I did a business dinner there. Spent over $1200. Service was very slow and below average. Food was decent, but overly rich with very small portions. Sommalier was rude and tried to sneak an extra $100 bottle of Leonetti Cab on our bill.
Old Feb 17, 07, 5:52 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Non traditional suggestions

For Greek go to Kokari in SF (or Evvia in Palo Alto)

French Bistro - Fringale

Afghani - Helmand

If you enjoy wine go to Bacar (any place that pours Barolo by the glass is alright in my book!)
Old Feb 24, 07, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I was taken to a place called A16 earlier this week, it was fantastic and quite reasonable.
Loved it, but beware VERY loud. any restaurant that serves burrata makes me very happy!!! We also really liked Pesce & Cafe Claude!
Old Feb 24, 07, 11:41 am

Programs: DL 3MM/PM/FC; LH FT; UA Gold
Pres A Vi

Check out the newest one in SF. It is called Pres A Vi and is in the Presidio in the Letterman Bldg. Awesome wine list and great food served tapa style.
Old Feb 28, 07, 5:12 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by mattkorey View Post
I actually live in Daly City and had never heard of Koi Palace. So after reading about it here we decided to go on Saturday night. The wait was two hours!! Forget it. We'll have to either go early or late next time, but I guess it must be good to generate that sort of traffic.
I found it all right, not spectacular as some HK people have suggested. However, I have to say that one thing that impressed me is the availability of snake entrees printed on the menu. If you are on your way coming or going to the airport may I suggest Fook Yuen in Millbrae? It is within walking distance from the Bart/Caltrain station and very accessible. I frequently go there and the bill for 2 comes to around $40.00 depending on what you choose. Lots of selection and patronized by a local clientele. Also, Flower Lounge is by that area and some people have a preference for that one too.

In the city, I like Farallon by Union Square. Limon on Mission is nice for Peruvian. As someone suggested, the beauty about living in SF is that one can find great food affordably. Some of the best meals I have had have been in little hole in the wall places. If you don't mind ambience at all and go for food only, then your choices are endless.
Old Mar 4, 07, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by rjque View Post

- Nopa (Divisadero and Hayes) is my favorite neighborhood restaurant, though it seems that the whole City is dining there every night.
BF and I finally checked this place out last night. I agree with the "neighborhood restaurant" characterization. That is to say, it's a good place but not something I'd go out of my way for. I do like the fact that it's open late - something that is sorely needed here!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: