Car Service between SFO and the City?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Service between SFO and the City?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not used Uber from the airport (www.uber.com), but I have used them within SF and have been very, very happy with them. I don't even bother trying to get cabs on Friday and Saturday night anymore. Uber is so much faster and easier.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC
Reopening this old thread. Arriving mid-afternoon with luggage and family. Any recommendation for non-shared car service to hotel in the city?

LF
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by LimitingFactor
Reopening this old thread. Arriving mid-afternoon with luggage and family. Any recommendation for non-shared car service to hotel in the city?

LF
Unless you need to be greeted with a driver in formal clothing, with a sign by baggage claim, the larger Uber or Lyft vehicles will be your best bet.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:26 pm

Welcome, @LimitingFactor. I second @Eastbay1K's recommendation for Lyft or Uber. If you're a family of 4 or fewer with only carry-on baggage, even if everyone has maxed out the carry-on allowance, then I doubt a larger sized car will be necessary.

SFO has done a great job at spreading out Lyft/Uber pickups across the airport grounds. Particularly if you're looking for a non-shared ride and picked up from the terminal curb (extra $3 instead of being picked up in the garage) then everything should be a breeze.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you don't want a shared ride service such as Uber X or XL,, use Uber Black SUV. That will be a real driver with a vehicle that has plenty of space for a family + luggage.

I've found that this works better than the higher end car services because there is close to no wait and it takes less time to go to a designated location and wait 2-3 minutes than to be greeted by a driver inside and then walk to a parked car or wait for him to go fetch the vehicle and pick you up.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
If you don't want a shared ride service such as Uber X or XL,, use Uber Black SUV. That will be a real driver with a vehicle that has plenty of space for a family + luggage.

I've found that this works better than the higher end car services because there is close to no wait and it takes less time to go to a designated location and wait 2-3 minutes than to be greeted by a driver inside and then walk to a parked car or wait for him to go fetch the vehicle and pick you up.
True about the wait time, but to clarify, UberX and UberXL are called rideshare services because a non-professional driver uses their personal car to drive you. There will be no other passengers; the ride is not a carpool.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by davie355
There will be no other passengers; the ride is not a carpool.
Uber does offer a pool service in some markets where it is something of a carpool. I’ve used it several times here. It’s dirt cheap.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by davie355
True about the wait time, but to clarify, UberX and UberXL are called rideshare services because a non-professional driver uses their personal car to drive you. There will be no other passengers; the ride is not a carpool.
I suspect that most on FT are quite aware what "rideshare" means in the context.
davie355 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.