Wiki Posts
Search

Trendy bar/club scenes in SF

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2005, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Smile Trendy bar/club scenes in SF

Hello,

I will be spending a long weekend in SF for the first time and this will be my first vacation with my new BF. We will be staying near Union Square and are looking forward to hitting a good club Friday and/or Saturday night, so I was hoping that someone could suggest a fun place to go. I know that the club scene is dynamic and what was trendy 6 months ago may not be where it's at a month from now - so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We are in our mid-30's and love to party, so we were hoping to find a fun spot to celebrate our first travel-date together Thanks in advance for all of your help!!
Old Oct 24, 2005, 9:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH
I can't help you with the late-night club scene (ah, what having kids will do for one's social life!) but a great place to start your evening with cocktails and/or dinner would be Asia de Cuba in the Clift Hotel - it is within short walking distance of Union Square and is known as a hangout for the young, fabulous and beautiful crowd.

For the club scene you could pick up one of the free weeklies when you get here - they have a pretty exhaustive listing of clubs all over the city and include descriptions of the "theme" on any given night of the week.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:33 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I second Paula_Miller's advice as the club scene in SF is as diverse as the population itself -- everything from hip-hop to reggae to Plush Room major lounge acts, plus all major ethnicities and orientations. A good hotel concierge might also have some good leads. At times, the "hottest" clubs are about 1-2 miles away from the Union Sq. area, in the so-called "SoMa" [South of Market] and "Mission" (Valencia St.) districts so that'll be a short cab ride from the Union Sq. area.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
You might dig though the local alternative weeklies for some club ideas.

http://www.sfbayguardian.com/

http://www.sfweekly.com/

As mentioned above, the "in crowd" is most likely hanging out South of Market or in the Mission. These are not unreasonably dangerous neighborhoods (at least the parts with the clubs), but I would suggest a little extra caution at night.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
Originally Posted by aprilrn
Hello,

I will be spending a long weekend in SF for the first time and this will be my first vacation with my new BF. We will be staying near Union Square and are looking forward to hitting a good club Friday and/or Saturday night, so I was hoping that someone could suggest a fun place to go. I know that the club scene is dynamic and what was trendy 6 months ago may not be where it's at a month from now - so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We are in our mid-30's and love to party, so we were hoping to find a fun spot to celebrate our first travel-date together Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

What kind of music do enjoy?
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
check out this thread for some starting points (maybe less trendy that you'd want)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473767
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:58 pm

Staying near Union Sq. I'd recommend Anu. It's a hole in the wall bar with a crammed little dance floor in the back. It's an interesting combo of things -- part neighborhood bar, part edgy dance venue, part sheek lounge.

Check out this description:

http://www.worldsbestbars.com/city/s...-francisco.htm
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your helpful advice - I am very much looking forward to my trip to SF! In answer to your question about music, I mostly enjoy anything from alternative to hip-hop but since this is my first experience in SF, I am open to absolutely anything.

Thank you all again for your time and help!
Old Oct 31, 2005, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
As mentioned already, SOMA and the Mission will offer the most variety. The area around 11th and Folsom has a number of places that have been in business for a while. There are also a ton of places for live music - Cafe Du Nord is my favorite, as well as Bimbo's 365, Elbo Room, and The Independent.

Take a look at the links provided for the Guardian and SF Weekly and have fun!
Old Oct 31, 2005, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by HSaxa
As mentioned already, SOMA and the Mission will offer the most variety. The area around 11th and Folsom has a number of places that have been in business for a while. There are also a ton of places for live music - Cafe Du Nord is my favorite, as well as Bimbo's 365, Elbo Room, and The Independent.

Take a look at the links provided for the Guardian and SF Weekly and have fun!
Cafe de Nord is wonderful -- a true gem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.